Sign in to follow this  
RogerPotie

replace fsx by pd3

After several years not using fsx, I wish to replace fsx by pd3 4.2

First question: Knowing that many add ons for FSX are intalled (I am mainly thinking about EFB, Active Sky, FS Commander, Traffic etc...) is it better to remove FSX and install PD3 4.2 or should I install PD3 4.2 next to it. I am ready to renew all the addons. Ease of intalling is more important than trying to reuse whatever adds on I have.

My second question will depend on the answers I receive.

Roger P.

Roger

See my specs in my profile

Wait and install the latest P3D v4.3 that is coming out tomorrow or Tuesday. There is no reason not to uninstall FSX, as you would not be using it after you get the P3D.

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

If you have the space, I would run side-by-side installation until you are sure that P3D works out to your satisfaction. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

EFB will work with P3D, just need to change the path where it reads from from FSX to P3D.

Active Sky will require a new program, Active Sky for P3D.  AS16 will not work on the 64 bit program.

I don't use FSCommander.

Stephen Forsgren

You should keep a copy of FSX if you have the space... there is always something you forgot to move over, and as noted above, some addons work across both platforms.

If you have any Orbx scenery, it will help to have the FSX copy installed when you move to P3D.

Bert

15 hours ago, RogerPotie said:

Ease of intalling is more important than trying to reuse whatever adds on I have.

In that case I'd remove FSX completely and do a totally fresh install of everything.

I personally am not a fan of reusing stuff which requires editing of files and configs and whatever: if you want to get into problems, this is the way to go imho. Whenever I have to reinstall P3D or do an update I like to reinstall everything from scratch, using the latest up to date installers for everything. This keeps the sim clean. Besides, since you haven't used FSX for years all your installed addons are old and need updating anyway. So go the easy route: uninstall everything FSX-related and start all over again from scratch. 

Lots of opposing advice here: that's what you get on a flightsim forum. 😋

Thank you to all  (and Christofer P3D and not PD3!).

I will for the time being maintain FSX just in case. As I go on I will come back for the addons.

At this point going to P3D or relearning FSX will take as much time and maybe less fun. So ahead with P3D !

Roger P

I

Roger

J van E,

I just read your post. And I am leaning toward your advice.

So my second question is can I just uninstall every soft with uninstall options or are they any trap along the route (registers, hidden soft ?). 

Roger