Sign in to follow this  
lidorx7

P3D V4 jagged edges

ok so what i learned so far:

1. higher resolution mean less AA needed. 

2. Bills511 get really nice smooth picture without Inspector.

3. i really need to fix my resolution 

16 hours ago, lodestar said:

Uncheck "enhance the application setting" and leave 8XSGSS only. It works this way, you need "enhance the application setting" only if you are going to set MSAA in nvidia inspector, which is not needed, since you should set this in P3D only. Your current Nvidia inspector settings could cause problems. 

Like others said, 8xSGSS looks to much to me, but it deppends on the resolution of your monitor and GPU. I have GTX 1060 6GB & 1920x1080 monitor resolution, and i can use 4xSGSS.

Be careful to always match MSAA and SGSS. 4xMSAA with 4xSGSS or 8xMSAA with 8xSGSS. I wrote this, becouse what you described can happen if there is a mismatch between those settings. Also, if you set MSAA in P3D, it must be set to "application controlled" in nvidia inspector(which is default). If you are going to use 8xSGSS, check what your GPU is doing, you can use GPU-Z for that, ensure that is not at 100% all the time. Try also 4xMSAA and 4xSGSS, i couldn't find the reason to go higher then that, it looks great with my 1920x1080 monitor. 

The only better thing for me is to use Nvidia DSR. If you have 4K monitor, you don't need any of this

Lodestar,

you have to use DSR? what you get by just using the default AA in P3D with you 1920X1080 res? i also see that my card is under 80-90% load with 4XSGSS,

it is really bad for the card?

8 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi lidorx7,

LOL! You’ve got me ‘worried’ now!

I’m assuming you are using 3rd Party Scenery for KBOS - FlyTampa? My default KBOS looks pretty naff in comparison so I didn’t feel any images from me would prove helpful. Indeed your overall image quality looks better than mine.

Anyway, I loaded the PMDG 737 at Gate A4 and, after close inspection, I formed the impression that our ‘jaggies’, when visible, are fairly comparable. Perhaps it all boils down to what we consider as being acceptable when weighed against desired performance. However, I have to say that I am unaware, most of the time, of any antialiasing shortcomings although I will admit to preferring the visual results while using the 4xSGSS/4xMSAA combo.

Frame rates were disappointing in and out of the VC: 17.5fps with frames locked at 30 and around 21fps with Unlimited. That’s with the default KBOS so I dread to think what FlyTampa would bring to my party. I watched their promo video which, as always with such videos, was smooth as silk. I suspect some arcane magic was involved.

My monitor’s native resolution is 2560 x 1440.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

yes it is FlyTampa KBOS, im actually get 30-40 FPS in this scenery, somtimes 26.. depends on light and angles.

what GPU you have?

It's worth noting that using DSR results in reduced scale text on screen. A good example would be the ATC window, or the ATIS messages. The characters will look very small unless you have a huge monitor.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

4 hours ago, lidorx7 said:

Hi Mike,

yes it is FlyTampa KBOS, im actually get 30-40 FPS in this scenery, somtimes 26.. depends on light and angles.

what GPU you have?

Ah, that explains it. 

My GPU is the 1080Ti (see signature). Looks like I need your advice rather than the other way around 😉

My flying habits tend to keep me well away from busy hubs (I prefer being out in the sticks or enjoying mountainous scenery) so frame rates are rarely a problem as I usually manage to maintain 30 quite easily. Still, it would be nice to see better performance in situations such as this. Sitting in the default F22 at KVPS while using my ‘Day Flights’ Display Profile I am seeing 60-70fps with the slider at Unlimited (with a virgin Prepar3D installation fps exceed 100). Default KBOS, for some reason, is presenting a tougher challenge. Perhaps, and somewhat paradoxically, the FlyTampa scenery is more frame rate friendly, this despite its added complexities. Maybe I should purchase and give it a go.

Locking your frame rates in the sim is much less GPU stressful. I usually see GPU usage anywhere between 60 and 70%. Using the Unlimited setting unleashes the GPU to render as many frames as possible while generating more heat. Fortunately the 3 fan cooling solution on mine seems pretty efficient. Using the Unlimited setting all the time seems somewhat unnecessary, however. Instead, I use the ‘Fibre Frame Fraction Dynamic’ utility along with a locked frame rate to adjust this sim variable on the fly depending on altitude. This helps to maintain frame rates, and hence performance, in more challenging situations. Somewhat disappointingly, and for whatever reason, it didn’t help much at the default KBOS 🙁

Mike

Hey op. Good luck, I used to have exactly the same problems, so I reinstalled fsx and haven’t looked back.

didnt matter what I tried, those jagged edges persisted including with shadows in the cockpit. I still see the jagged edges on some streams on twitch with their high quality pc’s.

i know how frustrating it feels!

Brian Nellis

39 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Ah, that explains it. 

My GPU is the 1080Ti (see signature). Looks like I need your advice rather than the other way around 😉

My flying habits tend to keep me well away from busy hubs (I prefer being out in the sticks or enjoying mountainous scenery) so frame rates are rarely a problem as I usually manage to maintain 30 quite easily. Still, it would be nice to see better performance in situations such as this. Sitting in the default F22 at KVPS while using my ‘Day Flights’ Display Profile I am seeing 60-70fps with the slider at Unlimited (with a virgin Prepar3D installation fps exceed 100). Default KBOS, for some reason, is presenting a tougher challenge. Perhaps, and somewhat paradoxically, the FlyTampa scenery is more frame rate friendly, this despite its added complexities. Maybe I should purchase and give it a go.

Locking your frame rates in the sim is much less GPU stressful. I usually see GPU usage anywhere between 60 and 70%. Using the Unlimited setting unleashes the GPU to render as many frames as possible while generating more heat. Fortunately the 3 fan cooling solution on mine seems pretty efficient. Using the Unlimited setting all the time seems somewhat unnecessary, however. Instead, I use the ‘Fibre Frame Fraction Dynamic’ utility along with a locked frame rate to adjust this sim variable on the fly depending on altitude. This helps to maintain frame rates, and hence performance, in more challenging situations. Somewhat disappointingly, and for whatever reason, it didn’t help much at the default KBOS 🙁

Mike

Hi Mike,

sounds like you have a one of the sliders or few, way too much to the right. (your 1080TI is very strong but still, those are really things you cant go maxed)

there is few of them that are FPS killers, send me your settings i will try to see if its there.

hopefully in the 4.3 we can use them, i still need to check 🙂

7 hours ago, lidorx7 said:

Lodestar,

you have to use DSR? what you get by just using the default AA in P3D with you 1920X1080 res? i also see that my card is under 80-90% load with 4XSGSS,

it is really bad for the card?

I'm not using DSR all the time, but it looks better then 4xSGSS to me. Also, i don't use default ATC and i actually don't like in-sim text messages, so no problems with that. 

With default resolution i can many jaggies and shimmering at distance. It's not so bad, but once i tried DSR i decided to start saving for a 4K monitor and new GPU.

Under 80-90% is ok, and it's not really bad for GPU. I like to leave some room here for detailed airports and clouds, becouse there is a FPS hit with GPU at 100%