Sign in to follow this  
AndreasMou

Payware addon airplanes for FSX SE

Hello, i have for a while been flying the Airbus x and the PMDG NGX, and i want to try something new. I'm looking for a regional jet, and a plane for long haul. So do you have any recommendations? 

If you want cheap and cheerful regional stuff which can load and fly default flight plans, check out Virtualcol's range of stuff, they work very well in P3D and FSX because they get very good frame rates. The VCs are a bit basic, but something like their CRJ is nice because it is cheap, looks pretty, the VC is passable and comes it with loads of different variants of the aircraft and tons of paint jobs.

The Aerosoft CRJ is more realistic and prettier if you want more a of a study sim version of a regional jetliner, but you won't get an autothrottle on the Aerosoft one (since they are rare on the real aeroplane), whereas you will on the Virtualcol one, since a few CRJ's do actually feature an autothrottle as an after market modification.

If you want an interesting long haul airliner for FSX, then I can thoroughly recommend the Simcheck Airbus A300B4-200. It's a very nice add-on, really realistic and like the real aeroplane, is an interesting one from an avionics standpoint, since it was an Airbus before the A320, thus it has a conventional yoke and an interesting mix of flight computers and more traditional control systems. There is an Avsim review of it (by me actually), although keep in mind that it has been patched since my review and is now even better than it was back when I reviewed it, and I gave it an Avsim Gold Award prior to that update anyway because it is so good, it richly deserves all the praise which is heaped on it and it is one of the few FSX airliners which has not made it to P3D unfortunately, because if it had, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat:

https://www.avsim.com/pages/0410/Simcheck/A300.htm

If you want something bigger, but you don't want to pay PMDG prices, the iFly Boeing 747-400 is well worth a look, since it gets very good frame rates for such a complex airliner, although to be fair, the PMDG 747-400 does get very good frame rates too and is worth having if you are prepared to pay more. I have both of them, but I only got the iFly one for P3D because it was a bit too hard to swallow that PMDG price tag twice lol.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Majestic Q400 is an excellent regional airliner addon.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Just one caveat:  The Majestic Q400 looks great, realistic dynamics, and has all the bells and whistles.

I know 'cause I have the Pro version:  But it takes a lot of time and effort to learn to properly fly it...

3 hours ago, Chock said:

The first line of text in your review is kind of prophetic 🙂

• Like 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

22 hours ago, Chock said:

If you want cheap and cheerful regional stuff which can load and fly default flight plans, check out Virtualcol's range of stuff, they work very well in P3D and FSX because they get very good frame rates. The VCs are a bit basic, but something like their CRJ is nice because it is cheap, looks pretty, the VC is passable and comes it with loads of different variants of the aircraft and tons of paint jobs.

The Aerosoft CRJ is more realistic and prettier if you want more a of a study sim version of a regional jetliner, but you won't get an autothrottle on the Aerosoft one (since they are rare on the real aeroplane), whereas you will on the Virtualcol one, since a few CRJ's do actually feature an autothrottle as an after market modification.

If you want an interesting long haul airliner for FSX, then I can thoroughly recommend the Simcheck Airbus A300B4-200. It's a very nice add-on, really realistic and like the real aeroplane, is an interesting one from an avionics standpoint, since it was an Airbus before the A320, thus it has a conventional yoke and an interesting mix of flight computers and more traditional control systems. There is an Avsim review of it (by me actually), although keep in mind that it has been patched since my review and is now even better than it was back when I reviewed it, and I gave it an Avsim Gold Award prior to that update anyway because it is so good, it richly deserves all the praise which is heaped on it and it is one of the few FSX airliners which has not made it to P3D unfortunately, because if it had, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat:

https://www.avsim.com/pages/0410/Simcheck/A300.htm

If you want something bigger, but you don't want to pay PMDG prices, the iFly Boeing 747-400 is well worth a look, since it gets very good frame rates for such a complex airliner, although to be fair, the PMDG 747-400 does get very good frame rates too and is worth having if you are prepared to pay more. I have both of them, but I only got the iFly one for P3D because it was a bit too hard to swallow that PMDG price tag twice lol.

Thanks for your answer! So in general the PMDG 747 would be the best airplane for long haul? What about the Qualitywings 787?

11 minutes ago, AndreasMou said:

Thanks for your answer! So in general the PMDG 747 would be the best airplane for long haul? What about the Qualitywings 787?

What is 'best' is up to you, mine were only suggestions. You could use a 737-900ER for long haul if you wanted too, that's up to you lol. I use the PMDG 747-400D most out of all the variants in the FSX version of their 747-400, and that's the high density short haul variant of course!

What I will say about the PMDG B747-400 is it runs really well in FSX-SE, the VAS limits are well optimised, which means it gets good fps too as well as not crashing FSX, you get a load of variants with it too,. And even though it is not a cheap add-on, if you add up how many different engine variants and models you get for the money, it works out at about 7 quid a plane, so each variant is actually quite inexpensive.

I tend to base my own favourite choices on a lot of things, price is one of course, value is another, capabilities is another. The FSX PMDG 747-400 does tick a lot of those boxes, I've flown that PMDG 747-400D a lot in Air Hauler and enjoyed it a lot, so that's why I think it is good value in spite of the cost of it.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here