Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

Prepar3D v4.3 has been released

13 minutes ago, J van E said:

XP is going to Vulkan and Aerofly is clearly going the same route, and both, so it seems to me, without forcing everyone to use all new addons... so why can't P3D? 

I have no idea myself.  But that does seem to be the reason underpinning the lack of progress in this area.

1 minute ago, Murmur said:

Hmmm... I presume the porting should be roughly equivalent (OpenGL->Vulkan or DX11->DX12). Maybe they will port to DX12 for v5?

Maybe, but why do I read about backwards compatibility problems all the time? Besides, DX12 is Windows 10 only: another problem for some.

9 minutes ago, ErichB said:

I have no idea myself.  But that does seem to be the reason underpinning the lack of progress in this area.

My guess is that the worry about backwards compatibility for LM is not ony for us simmers but remember that many training programs for commercial use are out there. The F35 simulators come to mind. I think I read that they use a lot of the Prepar3d programing. It would be pretty costly to stop production  of the F35's while waiting for a new model from the Dev's. 

Edited by shivers9
DUH
  • Like 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I'm doing a bit of testing and wow I can actually use dynamic lighting now!  Using the NGX at FSDT KLAS with all lights on and I can actually maintain my monitor refresh rate of 24 instead of having my FPS in the teens.  4x SSAA is too much but at night that's not really necessary for me.  8x MSAA does the trick.  Looks like I'll be doing quite a bit of simming tonight.

edit: Also performance is a bit better in general.  Same settings with the exception of upping the water detail to ultra and I maintained 24 all the way into LAS.  Before I would have to run unlimited to do that.  I'll do some testing in heavier areas.  Once FFTF dynamic gets updated I feel like I'll be golden.  I'm going to try testing out 4x SSAA now to see if I can handle that.  

Edited by sfgiants13
  • Like 1

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

I am not a developer or expert....in fact I am not even a good user of the programs...LOL but I was top of my class in my 3rd year of the 4th grade. On the subject of compatibility I think that the answer lies in the A2A and PMDG approach to Developement. Their products kind of run in their own space and interface to Prepar3d through Sim Connect or other "doors" for like of a better word. I think at some point everyone except Carenado/Alaebo 😁 will take this sort of approach.

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

26 minutes ago, ErichB said:

The reason is simple, Aerofly and XP are closed environments and their SDK is not even 10% as open as LM and they don't have such strong relationships with 3rd party content developers as LM.

So LM do things taking in consideration the entire environment, they even have private NDA agreements with many 3rd party developers so they can  test that new releases of P3D will either be compatible with current 3rd party content add-on's or to give the chance to 3rd party developers to catch up.

XP and Aerofly don't have to worry about such things as their 3rd party content providers are relatively small.. So from the developer point of view you cannot compare the SDK of LM with XP or Aeorofly, they are totally different animals.

And for the record as it stands I don't feel inclined to develop for XP or Aerofly, they have no substance or enough nutrients on their SDK that would feed my passion to develop on these platforms and I can tell you that many others FS developers also feel this way.

Best Regards,

Simbol 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Dazkent said:

Million dollar question for me, any improvement in the AA for 1080p users?

Didn't see any mention of it in the release notes so probably not. 

They will eventually update the rendering engine, they just have too.  I am sure there are ways to make a solid leap forward without breaking backward compatibility.  P3Dv4 broke backward compatibility in an incremental way.  I do think they are taking it slow so as to not throw 64bit and a new rendering engine on developers all at once but to be honest developers need to make cash to stay alive.  No business can survive on sales from 2012 forever.  I know it's a common complaint when they charge for a new version but if we want a healthy community then re-upping every 2-3 years for a new version is probably the only viable way to get the quality we expect.  A new rendering engine allows for updated products and updated charges.  No one wants to hear that but as in the video game world nothing is stopping you from playing FIFA 2010 on your xbox, however; EA can't live forever on its sales.  

Can anyone confirm if REX 4 - Texture Direct W/Soft Clouds - Enhanced Edition is working or not? For me the textures are not changing in the sim. The REX forums is a ghost town. installlog.txt says files are COPIED TO: D:\Prepar3Dv4\Texture\

DISREGARD working now.

Edited by Bills511

2 hours ago, J van E said:

Maybe, but why do I read about backwards compatibility problems all the time? Besides, DX12 is Windows 10 only: another problem for some.

If memory serves me right, I read/saw a vague indication LM will go the DX12 route in the future. Which certainly wouldn't be a big surprise, actually.

Plus, keep in mind that support for Windows 7 is scheduled to stop at the end of 2019 anyway, So switching to DX12 at least as an option (in a similar way as FSX introduced the never finished DX10 preview) in the next year seems quite plausible to me.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

13 minutes ago, pmb said:

......keep in mind that support for Windows 7 is scheduled to stop at the end of 2019 anyway.

January 14, 2020

However, as with XP it’s likely that Windows 7 will continue to receive 3rd Party support for some time thereafter. Heck, my wife still uses her Windows XP PC when she isn’t using her MacBook Pro. Software still works, the system is stable and reliable and A/V protection continues to be provided by NOD32 Version 9. Windows updates? Bah!

Windows 7 has proved to be even more reliable and popular and so the reluctance to ditch it in favour of 10 will likely be even stronger. I predict this resistance will continue for a much longer period after Microsoft finally turns its back on it. 

If LM do decide to move to DirectX12 without backward compatibility it is quite possible, although not inevitable, that this may finally be the end of the road for me. It’s been a great ride, but the line needs to be drawn at some point. It’s possible I may simply decide to content myself with what I have and watch with interest from the sidelines while others continue to push forward the boundaries of progress.

On the other hand.....LOL!

Mike 😉

• Upvote 1