Sign in to follow this  
captain420

I can't get my add-on.xml working for AI planes

I have an AI package that works fine if installed into my P3D v4 folder, but I'm trying to avoid that and install it outside the folder via add-on.xml method. I have the following but when I load up the sim, no ai planes at all.

<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
    <AddOn.Name>AI Traffic</AddOn.Name>
    <AddOn.Description>AI Traffic</AddOn.Description>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>SimObjects</Category>
        <Path>E:\P3D Addons\Airplanes\AI\SimObjects\Airplanes</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Effects</Category>
        <Path>E:\P3D Addons\Airplanes\AI\Effects</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Scenery</Category>
        <Path>E:\P3D Addons\Airplanes\AI\Scenery\World\scenery</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Texture</Category>
        <Path>E:\P3D Addons\Airplanes\AI\Texture</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Sound</Category>
        <Path>E:\P3D Addons\Airplanes\AI\SimObjects\Airplanes\AI_Sound</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document> 

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Check whether your AI aircraft really are in the path: E:\P3D Addons\Airplanes\AI\SimObjects\Airplanes

That path looks rather complicated to me. Did you not install it like this E:\P3D Addons\AI ?

An then E:\P3D Addons\AI\Texture  and E:\P3D Addons\AI\Effects

The scenery component does not look right either. Scenery ? For AI?

you must change the directory in simobjects on programdata on c drive with the correct path of your folder

Frédéric Giraud

1 minute ago, grandfred29 said:

you must change the directory in simobjects on programdata on c drive with the correct path of your folder

Not exactly what you mean by this. I was able to install the Global AI Ship Traffic via add-on.xml method. And Yes my 3rd party aircraft addons are installed into E:\P3D Addons\Airplanes

32 minutes ago, kiek said:

Check whether your AI aircraft really are in the path: E:\P3D Addons\Airplanes\AI\SimObjects\Airplanes

That path looks rather complicated to me. Did you not install it like this E:\P3D Addons\AI ?

An then E:\P3D Addons\AI\Texture  and E:\P3D Addons\AI\Effects

The scenery component does not look right either. Scenery ? For AI?

Yes I have confirmed that the locations are correct and all exists.Inside the Scenery folder are the traffic.bgl file and all the AI aircraft.bgl files

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I really recommend to simplify your setup. If you are using the add-on.xml  method there is really no need to use the SimObjects\Airplanes structure.

I use Notepad+ as editor while P3Dv4 does not -always-  like ANSI files. My add-on.xml file is in UTF8 (as characterset)

Edited by kiek

I am using Sublime and have the correct UTF, so that's not an issue, because I have my other addons working. So you recommend I remove the SimObjects entry? Isn't that required because thats where all the AI plane files are located in my E:\P3D Addons\Airplanes\AI\SimObjects\Airplanes

Have you check the path in c program or programdata lockeed martin, it is the same that when you install a scenery there is a layer , for the simobjects in there is a layer too with the path of your ai folder add on

Each time you will change the X drive you will change this path in the simobjects folder

Frédéric Giraud

Go to c programdata LM P3DV4 simobjects.cfg and check the good path of your own ai folder

Frédéric Giraud

in my simobjects folder it shows this:

[Entry.0]
Title=Default Airplanes
Path=SimObjects\Airplanes
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.1]
Title=Default Avatars
Path=SimObjects\Avatars
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.2]
Title=Default Rotorcraft
Path=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.3]
Title=Default Ground Vehicles
Path=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.4]
Title=Default Boats
Path=SimObjects\Boats
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.5]
Title=Default Animals
Path=SimObjects\Animals
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.6]
Title=Default Misc
Path=SimObjects\Misc
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.7]
Title=Default Submersible
Path=SimObjects\Submersible
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.8]
Title=Default Weapons
Path=SimObjects\Weapons
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.9]
Title=Default Countermeasures
Path=SimObjects\Countermeasures
Required=True
Active=True

But why do I need to mess with this file if I'm using the add-on.xml? Shouldn't that override whats in the simobjects.cfg file? 

That s that !

Put entry 10 with a title as you want and the correct path of your ai folder require and active =true

Frédéric Giraud

21 hours ago, captain420 said:

But why do I need to mess with this file if I'm using the add-on.xml? Shouldn't that override whats in the simobjects.cfg file? 

That is correct. Either use the add-on.xml entry or the simobjects.cfg, but not both at the same time. It works, but it is unnecessary.

Steps to troubleshoot an add-on.xml:

1. Make sure that all paths are actually correct and reference the target at the correct level of the folder hierarchy.
  2. Make sure that the addon definition has been recognized by the sim (via the Add-ons dialog in P3D)
  3. If you have scenery type entries, make sure that they have been included in the Scenery Library (scenery library dialog in P3D)
  4. If you are linking SimObjects, make sure that they are actually compatible. Many aircraft that are based on models from the FS9 days are invisible in P3D
  5. Check for content and XML errors by using the content error log feature 
  6. Make sure that your XML file adheres to the specification. From my point of view your definition is not entirely correct, especially the scenery component. But that is more a matter of taste than a technical requirement.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI