Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

744 hesitation after takeoff, around 10º pitch, due to ground effect ?

Is this felt in the PMDG 744 ?

It's a known feature in teh real thing, asking pilots for additional yoke deflection to keep the pitch rate, and I wonder if it's reproduced in the 744 for FSX / P3D ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

It's a known feature in teh real thing

Your source?

Dan Downs KCRP

There are various but the one in the link bellow, although initially referring to the 737 NG, continues with 744 pilots confirming the effect:

https://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-180192.html

Then, captain "Britjet", famous for his 744 tutorials has confirmed it as well - and it's modelled in a well known professional 744 simulation.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

9 hours ago, jcomm said:

It's a known feature in teh real thing, asking pilots for additional yoke deflection to keep the pitch rate, and I wonder if it's reproduced in the 744 for FSX / P3D ?

Yes, I believe it is although this effect is fairly difficult to model accurately in a PC flight simulator.  Once the aircraft is out of the ground effect there should be no need for any additional yoke deflection.  If you overcontrol in pitch during this initial rotation phase there is a real risk of a tail strike, so you have to be careful not to overdo it.  The other important point to remember is to always aim for the target attitude and initial climb speed for the aircraft's configuration by looking through the flight director to achieve it (i.e. V2 +10kts)

Bertie Goddard   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jcomm said:

In a normal rotation as recommended by Boeing when the deck angle is at ten degrees, the aircraft is about 35 feet AGL.  At 35 feet the B744 is still in ground effect.  The yoke is pulled back at a rate that will smoothly achieve the Boeing recommended rotation rate until reaching the desired deck angle of about 15 degrees.  Again at a normal rotation rate the deck angle will be at 10 degrees for maybe a third of a second?

I can't feel anything in a desktop sim because it does not move.   🙂

Edited by Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

4 hours ago, Bluestar said:

I can't feel anything in a desktop sim because it does not move.   🙂

If you increase the PFD to a size comparable to that of the real PFD, you should be able to glimpse it :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

9 hours ago, jcomm said:

If you increase the PFD to a size comparable to that of the real PFD, you should be able to glimpse it 🙂

Head-Shaking Mode.  

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam