Sign in to follow this  
dal330200

Tomato Shade Update out for 4.3

51 minutes ago, captain420 said:

What are the advantages of Tomatoe Shade vs PTA other than the fact that it's free?

I’m curious as well what the differences are.

• Like 1

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

16 minutes ago, ozflyer said:

I use ENVSHADE, could I also install tomato shade?.

will it improve anything?

No. They are both suites that modify shaders within the ShadersHLSL folder. Not compatible with PTA either.

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

The obvious advantage of tomato shade over PTA is that it enables dynamic PBR-like reflections. The drawback for me is that the performance hit was too big. However because I see many people use it for their flights, there should be a set of parameters in tomato shade that could relieve the performance hit. However, I haven't seen so far any guide of how to tune tomato shade. This would be very welcome to have from someone expert on the app.

Edited by Daedalus
  • Like 1

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

I've also been using PTA since day one, but went with tomato shade after seeing how it transforms reflections.  However, it doesn't have all of the features of PTA, and at the end of the day, aside from the reflections, I really don't see any big difference between the two. 

On 6/26/2018 at 5:57 PM, dal330200 said:

Howdy Fellow Captains,

Just a head's up, Tomato Shade has been updated to work with 4.3.  Just remember to restore original shaders before installing the 4.3 client and running the updated version of Tomato Shade.  I made the mistake of forgetting to do that and it created some error messages.  If you updated the client already, roll it back, restore original shaders, then reinstall 4.3 client, re-apply whatever shader presets being used and everything should work fine.  I also had to reinstall the reflections.  In any case, this is great news, and a good alternative to PTA while Matt works on an update.

Cheers,

John

You do know that the P3D Content installer (and client) install default shaders anyway? (unless you only wanna update client)

Flying Tigers Group

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Tomato is great for the flight sim paparazzi, ie screen shots, YT videos, and for those who like to stare at their plane all day.

For general use, stick with PTA or Envshade.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

14 minutes ago, ZKOKQ said:

Tomato is great for the flight sim paparazzi, ie screen shots, YT videos, and for those who like to stare at their plane all day.

For general use, stick with PTA or Envshade.

How do you reach that conclusion, when TomatoShade is a suite that offers tweaking and presets just like PTA? Envshade you can't even tweak.

• Like 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

12 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

How do you reach that conclusion, when TomatoShade is a suite that offers tweaking and presets just like PTA? Envshade you can't even tweak.

Tomato only does mostly reflections. Read my post again, slowly.

Edit: I never mentioned you could tweak Envshade, I own it and PTA. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Edited by ZKOKQ

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

1 minute ago, Sethos1988 said:

Envshade you can't even tweak.

That's true, but for most people it does the job. I spent a lot of time tweaking with PTA and using canned presets. The difference between any of those and Envshade was not worth my effort.

The nice thing about Tomato Shade is its  dynamic reflection editor. It's not PBR but it comes close to making P3d aircraft really shine, so to speak.

8 minutes ago, ZKOKQ said:

Tomato only does mostly reflections. Read my post again, slowly.

That's not even true. Perhaps you should use it before making such statements.

Edited by Sethos1988
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

That's not even true. Perhaps you should use it before making such statements.

I have. Don't just assume. Read my edit above. Next time you run Tomato, look at the shader files it modifies, the look at PTA. You might learn something.

Edited by ZKOKQ

9 minutes ago, ZKOKQ said:

I have. Don't just assume. Read my edit above.

Right, all these options that mimic PTA really are "reflections mostly", with sections that PTA doesn't even have. Yeah, extensive knowledge 🙄

https://i.imgur.com/G2q1Bm4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aGzs1lO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/c9KyUqF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/09V84ue.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ggaef76.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3HJA4yW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CAz7C9b.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TWaLIb5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JNvjCkF.jpg

Edited by Sethos1988
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

Yeah, extensive knowledge 🙄

Don't let him bait you. Just leave him be and let him think he's getting "the edge" 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

1 hour ago, ZKOKQ said:

Read my post again, slowly.

I read your post as slow as humanly possible, but you're still making zero sense. Tomato is not for you. Carry on...

Edited by ZLA Steve
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

Yup, just ignore that guy, he likes to belittle people it seems. I guess it makes him feel better.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU