Sign in to follow this  
Marc Banger

iFly 747 or PMDG 747?

Over last few week, I have been looking at getting either one of these planes, I have read up on these and watched youtube reviews but I can't seem to make heads or tails of them, what I want to know is, what one is the " better " choice to go for in regards to quality, performance, flight dynamics, functions etc etc, could someone with some experience with these crafts share some pros and cons of each please.

At the moment I am slightly in favour to the iFly version as the PMDG one is like over double the price at $139.99/£105, as to compared to iFly at $59.99/£45, so it's quite alot of pennies to cough up if there is not much difference is these or if anyone else has any suggestions for another long range jetliner, that would be much appreciated.

I have been keeping my eye out on the developement of the new Aerosoft A330 which could look promising.

Any advice is welcoming.

Thanks

Marc

You get what you pay for. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Marc,

I dont think anyone can seriously tell you that the IFly aircraft is better than the PMDG effort which from ALL accounts is excellent.

However, I cannot afford the PMDG 737 or the 747 and opted for the IFly versions of both. I am NOT disappointed with either aircraft. Nor do I think you will be. If I had the money though, I would definitely opt for the PMDG product.

One thing to bear in mind though, is that PMDG is in the throes of releasing an updated 747-8 for P3Dv4 and I believe that you could be saving your pennies whilst waiting for the release. I am sure that it will be worth it.

As Bob has said, you get what you pay for, but whether or not, the price difference is worth it, is a moot point and a choice for individuals. I am VERY happy with IFly 737 and 747-4

Good luck

Regards to all

Tony

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

3 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

One thing to bear in mind though, is that PMDG is in the throes of releasing an updated 747-8 for P3Dv4

Another aspect to keep in mind: iFly is releasing their 747-8 version for free to owners of the iFly 747-400 product.

4 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

Another aspect to keep in mind: iFly is releasing their 747-8 version for free to owners of the iFly 747-400 product.

But will it have the same details and features of the PMDG version? 
Doubt it... 

Besides - is the iFly 747-8 'just' a -8 shell or is it an actual 747-8 with all that belongs?

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Good "To Know"... fs2crew have a voice and button version for the PMDG 747 for more immersive flights... But this is expensive addon near the price of the Ifly747 ...

Have the Ifly 747, happy with because I flight less long haul and for the long ones, now I prefer flying the QW 787, those 2 (Ifly+QW) is less expensive that PMDG 747 alone... Mine psychological limit for one addon is 100$.

For the PMDG quality have the 737, corresponding more of the medium range flights I do. 

I would wait for the PMDG 747-8.
The PMDG indeed is much more expensive, but better then iFly.
Disclaimer: I don't have iFly 747 but I do have iFly 737NG and PMDG 737NG and based on those I make my judgement.
Nevertheless iFly still is also a very good aircraft.

But you also have to ask yourself the question how detailed/sophisticated you want your aircraft to be.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

The PMDG 747 was my preferred choice in keeping with my already bought 737 and 777 from PMDG but with the lousy Aussie dollar exchange rate the 747 would have cost me $A185, way over my budget, whereas the ifly747 was a more reasonable $A80. I have to say I am really happy with it. In prepar3d v4.2 there is no system drain, the graphics and external texturing are quite good. The VC panel looks and functions without fault, as mentioned the free -8 upgrade is an added bonus and there are tons of airline liveries. IMHO you won't be disappointed, but hey it's no PMDG.

steve southey

For the money, the iFly is an amazing aircraft. It all boils down to how casual or how hardcore of a simmer you see yourself as. For me, the iFly is more than "in-depth" enough, not to justify me paying 140 quid for the PMDG version.

• Upvote 2

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Still confused? I bet you are! Put it this way Rolls Royce (PMDG) or a Mini (iFly) (I have them both by the way)

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Only people having both iFly and PMDG 747 can tell.

I have tried both iFly 737 and PMDG 737 . The PMDG has more extra features but for me the iFly felt more realistic.

I used the iFly 737 Cockpit Builders edition and also tried a Project Magenta - PMDG 737 merge. More real feeling when using the iFly.

All extra features from PMDG are nice If you want them..

At this moment I use Prosim and it’s own Flight Model. That goes way beyond the realism from both PMDG as iFly....

If I am correct F1 has a 30 day money back garanty. PMDG does not have it.

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Chock can probably give good advice, as he has both. Indeed he has written on the subject not too long ago.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/538197-payware-addon-airplanes-for-fsx-se/?tab=comments#comment-3864977

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

8 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

But will it have the same details and features of the PMDG version? 
Doubt it... 

No one has any idea at this point, but what I do know is that it won't have the same price tag as PMDG.

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Only people having both iFly and PMDG 747 can tell.

I have tried both iFly 737 and PMDG 737 . The PMDG has more extra features but for me the iFly felt more realistic.

I used the iFly 737 Cockpit Builders edition and also tried a Project Magenta - PMDG 737 merge. More real feeling when using the iFly.

All extra features from PMDG are nice If you want them..

At this moment I use Prosim and it’s own Flight Model. That goes way beyond the realism from both PMDG as iFly....

If I am correct F1 has a 30 day money back garanty. PMDG does not have it.

Wondering what yardstick you are using to say the PMDG flying is not realistic? Friend of mine is a 737 first officer, and he thinks the NGX is pretty good. Do you have any experience flying the real aircraft? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310