Sign in to follow this  
Marc Banger

iFly 747 or PMDG 747?

Thanks everyone for taking your time to reply back, I will give the iFly version a try first, see how I get on with it, if it's not what I expected, I'll just bite the bullet, refund it and go get the PMDG version as I know they do make exellent products and having FS2Crew is always compatible is a plus.

I too try to keep a limit on how much I'd spent for an addon (£80) but if needs be, sometimes you just have to go for it

I know it might be alot to ask and I have tried looking around on the net, but what are some of features that the PMDG version have that the iFly doesn't?

15 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

You get what you pay for. 

In this case, absolutely.  Sadly, with some other dev’s products, nope.

PMDG 747 all the way for me.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

While I too prefer PMDG, the iFly isn't bad at all.

Something perhaps more important.... Later this year PMDG will be releasing the 747-800, which is far more modern and has many new features.  So if money is an issue, then I'd wait for the 800 to drop on us!

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

7 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

While I too prefer PMDG, the iFly isn't bad at all.

Something perhaps more important.... Later this year PMDG will be releasing the 747-800, which is far more modern and has many new features.  So if money is an issue, then I'd wait for the 800 to drop on us!

Best wishes.

Isn't the PMDG 747-8 being released as an expansion to the 747 base package? I thought I had read it somewhere on the PMDG forum section, I'll see if I can find it.

Edited by Marc Banger

Most people have pretty much nailed it with their comments. but I'll chip in anyway...

PMDG: Yes the PMDG one is costly, but if you actually look at how many variants you get for that money, it works out quite cheap for each one if you choose to look at it that way. Another plus with the PMDG is that you get a 400D variant, which was the short range high density seating version made by Boeing principally for the Japanese market. This means you get a 747-400 better suited to shorter duration flights in your sim, and that is quite a big plus if you aren't into making ten hour flights, as it does in particular, make a very good short haul cargo bird for things like Air Hauler. It's also worth giving PMDG credit where it is due in terms of performance, because their 747 runs like a dream in its FSX variant, avoiding VAS issues in an almost miraculous fashion, which is not an issue for P3D per se, but of course that translates to it leaving more overhead for other add-ons in its P3D version, since that is largely a port over job to get something from FSX to P3D (yeah, I know they'll say otherwise, but we all know that's cobblers, otherwise we wouldn't find some add-ons have one single installer that works for both P3D and FSX). 

iFly: It's a lot of bang for your bucks, especially if you had the FSX one because you can get a discount voucher and get the P3D version for buttons. In the end, this swayed me to not buy the P3D version of the PMDG 747, because I'd already bought it for FSX (and admittedly was impressed by it), but PMDG don't offer any discount at all for those who've bought their birds for another platform, and I think that's scandalous for the reason I mentioned above. A plus for the iFly version is that it runs very well indeed even on a modest PC and is a very comprehensive treatment of the real aeroplane, albeit not offering quite so many different variations on the theme in terms of engine and fuselage specs over the 747 range, that, as noted, is indeed a plus point for the PMDG one if you desperately want an airline specific version of the Jumbo. Personally I wasn't that fussed enough about that to consider it worth the price of entry (again lol), especially since I knew for quite some time (now announced officially) that Just Flight were going to be doing a P3D version of a Steam Gauge 747-200/300 (and hopefully, an SP variant and a 100), which will be a no-brainer purchase for me because you can only fit so many 747s in your virtual hangar as far as finding time to fly them is concerned, and I love the older Jumbos and Delco Carousels dearly, FMCs are for pussies lol.

Back with the iFly one though, another plus point for it is that you're going to get a 747-8 thrown in for free at some point apparently, and whilst PMDG appear to be really going for it as far as their version is concerned, anyone who has any of the iFly birds will know that those guys are not too shabby when it comes to detail and realism, and if it was merely a 3D model they were intending to throw out, they'd have done it by now to cash in on being first out of the gate with an 8 variant, which tends to indicate to me that they might surprise people with the attention to detail, as indeed they did with their NG, which does stand up to close inspection in most regards and, apart from the lack of a collimated HGS, is every bit as good as the PMDG NG when everything else is weighed up and all factors are considered.

If I were you, what would swing it for me is that ultimately, you can try the iFly before committing to waving goodbye to the money for good, courtesy of Flight 1's refund policy. Personally I've never taken advantage of that ever, but I appreciate its presence as an option should anything ever disappoint me. I know there are people who won't have a word said against PMDG and who delight in blowing sunshine up their nether regions; it's true they have done much to be impressed with, which is why I've bought many of their products over the years, but they are not above learning a thing or two from other developers in some respects, and this is one of those things where I think they might well benefit to do so.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Wondering what yardstick you are using to say the PMDG flying is not realistic? Friend of mine is a 737 first officer, and he thinks the NGX is pretty good. Do you have any experience flying the real aircraft? 

PMDG is pretty good. Prosim is another level.

Prosim is running outside Fs and is not being hold back by the limitations inside Fs. 

For the same reason external weather engines make Fs look and feel more real.

Prosim is being used in the real world in Level D simulators too.

@ Chock : thanks for chiming in 

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Had the iFly 744 for FS9 which I used until I switched to P3D4.1 as my personal sim outside of development work and it was incredibly well done. Although not a fair comparison to the FS9 version of the PMDG 747 which was much older.

Same thing with the 737 had the iFly 737 for FS9 and now the NGX in P3D and visual wise it's no comparison in favor of PMDG but iFly actually simulates more systems than the PMDG NGX in the Navigation dept. Properly working RNP approaches without the work around incremental RF waypoints to draw the arcs, iFly draws the RNP arc like the real thing does point to point without the workaround RF points. Also another thing the iFly does is it is GLS/GBAS capable which the PMDG is not. GLS is increasingly growing in popularity world wide it will eventually replace ILS particularly when it becomes upgraded from Cat 1 to Cat 3b certification. Pretty soon you'll even have RNP approaches coupled with a GLS straight in final segment that at some point could be fully flown under the AP, really cool stuff.

If GLS and RNP isn't that big of a deal visually, depth of core systems and soundset wise the PMDG QOTSII has an edge over the iFly. But that is to be expected for the pricepoint.

PMDG does fantastic sounds, particularly from the NGX onwards. Well produced, mixed and mastered. Great fidelity and implementation.

Edited by American 833 Heavy
  • Upvote 1

qwsig_Emil02-1.gif

11 minutes ago, American 833 Heavy said:

PMDG does fantastic sounds, particularly from the NGX onwards. Well produced, mixed and mastered. Great fidelity and implementation.

And if you add the Immersive audio NGX sounds. it brings the NGX sounds to a whole new level. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

@Chock, American 833 Heavy, thanks for those write up, very interesting 🙂 that's the sort of info I wanted to know, in regards to the 747-8 coming out, it seems best to wait until both products have been released, knowing my luck for example, I will purchase one of them and then the 747-8 will be released and it turns out to be 10x better by the company I didn't go for lol, safe to say I will be waiting now, thanks to everyone who chipped in on the convo, everything been taken onboard.

What options are available in the FMC regarding preflight cold n dark set up ?

Does Ifly have a long and short set up like in the pmdg 777 ?  Im asking since there is no fs2cew so I would need to complete the whole preflight  myself

ZORAN

For me I like to drop into the seat, contact atc get the height I need and departure runway , head on out to the runway , no GSX take off and climb out and set AP , change directions when asked , set up ils and land , watch tv and go to bed 😁 .... pmdg is great but I have most of their craft as I'm greedy but to be honest with my IQ if 20 I couldn't get on with all the setting up stuff which you dont have to do in the ifly equivalent.... pmdg is great graphics textures etc but for me personally I sit in front of the VC looking at clouds supplied by Asp4 and rex , check my phone for updates and dont really ever look at the outside view so the HD textures etc dont fuss me as much .... not many pilots pop outside during a flight to check the look of the aircraft skin and then report back to their peers on their findings , they may do but I doubt it 🤔..... so if you want to sit down have a nice enjoyable flight listening to the rumble.of the engines for a few hours then , for little old me , the ifly is just what the doctor ordered ....

9 minutes ago, wildtomcat said:

Ifly 747 currently 30% off

At flight1.com

Bargain hunters shack

You should post that in the FSX forum. P3D version is not on sale. 🙂

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Thanks for the head up.

Indeed I did not realize this fact.

Regarded it as a p3d offer.

Sorry

• Like 1

vpa558.png