Sign in to follow this  
Marc Banger

iFly 747 or PMDG 747?

On 6/21/2019 at 9:44 PM, asustech said:

I couldn't get on with all the setting up stuff which you dont have to do in the ifly equivalent

I had the 737 for FSX, and while I don't have the NG, I own PMDG's 777. To me, preparations and flows are the similar in volume in both products.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

I've mentioned this previously but my thoughts are.....

If you have the budget the PMDG version is, as you would expect, a little more polished here and there and has some great features,and if you're only buying one would be the way to go.

If you don't have the budget for the PMDG version are you missing out getting the ifly version? No not at all, it's a very solid aircraft with all the correct system and FMC functions, and does in fact  simulate some functions that PMDG do not.The ifly LNAV and VNAV I find to be very stable  ( disclaimer: I'm not using the latest PMDG version so these things may now be simulated, and I've not used either version of the aircraft for well over 6 months) 

I fly all 3 versions of the 747-400, the PMDG version, the ifly version and the real one made by Boeing

Cheers Jon

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Great advice coming from a real 747 pilot. Thanks Jon.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

3 hours ago, jon b said:

If you don't have the budget for the PMDG version are you missing out getting the ifly version? No not at all, it's a very solid aircraft with all the correct system and FMC functions, and does in fact  simulate some functions that PMDG do not.The ifly LNAV and VNAV I find to be very stable  ( disclaimer: I'm not using the latest PMDG version so these things may now be simulated, and I've not used either version of the aircraft for well over 6 months) 

Just to clarify, the PMDG does simulate LNAV and VNAV...the way you wrote this lends itself to be interpreted that they somehow are not simulated.  I suspect that you were talking about those previously-mentioned functions that PMDG does not do (what are those, anyway?)

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Yes, I suspect PMDG wouldn’t be where they are now if they’d neglected to simulate LNAV/VNAV 🙂

I cant see how to edit the post otherwise I’d put in a separate paragraph.

I was referring to CMC functions and maintenance pages, these may well be now in the PMDG current version, I’ve not upgraded to the PBR versions of P3D yet so am not on the latest PMDG version.

i must admit I don’t fly the sim versions all that often, busman’s holiday and all that (British phrase) but when I do it’s normally just before a sim check ,like now, so they do get a thorough workout.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

For those that missed this excellent post from jon b a while back comparing both products have a read. Thanks jon b for sharing your knowledge with this community.

Link

• Upvote 1

Thanks Samaritano, for both your comments , and for the link. I knew this had been discussed  previously somewhere.

787 captain.  

1 hour ago, jon b said:

Thanks Samaritano, for both your comments , and for the link. I knew this had been discussed  previously somewhere.

Just wanted to say thanks for your review in that post Samaritano linked to. That was actually one of the main reasons I went and picked up the iFLY 744 a while back. I would have gone PMDG, but honestly I don't see myself flying it that often to justify the price.

Edited by Kevin_28
  • Like 1

Thanks Kevin, I’m glad you found it useful. I don’t think you can go wrong whichever version you buy, but  it’s nice to have a choice. If we could get a realistic 747 in x-plane now, then I’d be happy!

Im just preparing to go into the full motion sim for my 6 monthly check, sad to think I’ve only got another 4 sim checks before the fleet is retired. I suspect I’ll fly the desktop sim versions a lot more for pleasure once the real aircraft has gone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

787 captain.