Sign in to follow this  
FLJeff337

Purchasing Garmin GTN NavData Update (Without Owning Real Unit)?

Has anyone successfully purchased a navdata update from Garmin without owning a real Garmin unit? I wanted to purchase the "GTN United States Garmin Navigation Database," but it appears you first have to provide the serial number of a real unit, as well as aircraft information before you can purchase and install the database.

I've heard that the GTN trainer can be updated with current nav files (mostly from RW pilots using their own Garmin data), but the problem I have is being able to purchase and download the navdata update to begin with.

Compounding the problem I'm having is that I've been unable to obtain (even from the FAA itself) the dTPP for Florida from October 2016 (so that my FSX GTN data and available published procedures match), and now I find myself in the position of not having the old (from 2016) dTPP to agree with the sim GTN navdata, nor can I update my navdata to match the current charts (which I do have).

So back to my original question, have any simmers been able to purchase a GTN navdata update from Garmin, without actually owning a real Garmin unit?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Have you tried Jeppesen? I am lucky enough to have a real GTN kit in my aircraft and I have a Jeppesen subscription. I didn't need to give any GNSS serial numbers etc. although I think I did have to mention my aircraft registration.

Maybe you can give them a try. My data comes as essentially a zip file and I just move the database where it has to go. Works a treat.

David Porrett

David,

I looked at Jeppesen's website, and it looks like the same restriction applies...

From their website:

"The unit ID (or system ID) is an internal number which is required for database updates and downloads. (These updates can be done on our flyGarmin website.) Each aviation database update is downloaded specific to the system ID of each GPS, therefore if the system ID is incorrect on our website, your aviation databases will not update correctly."

I appreciate the suggestion, though....