Sign in to follow this  
Guest jscharpf

atc.dll problems with only the Flight1 ATR

Guest jscharpf

I have searched for "atc.dll" crashes (this shows up in the event viewer every time) and I have seen several postings. My question is, if I ALWAYS get a crash with only the very same plane (Flight1 ATR) and it ALWAYS happens just when I load the plane, does this mean anything? At the Flight1 forum I was told that it was probably not a problem with the ATR since the error is from "atc.dll".I load the plane in the recommended manner (after a default plane, etc..) and the screen goes black, after a few seconds I get the Message about how FS9 crashed and do I want to send a report, blah blah..Even viewer shows the same reference to atc.dll.I've never had this problem until I installed the Flight1 and FSINN 1.1.Not sure if it's coincidence or bad luck.Any advice on where to start?Thanks,Jeff

It is quite possible that something else is actually causing the problem, but it happens when atc.dll is busy populating the AI traffic for your session.I'd rename the panel.cfg file in the ATR, and create a new panel.cfg with an alias to the b737's panel in place.If the sim quits crashing on load, then you know the problem is something in the ATR's panel system.If the sim still crashes, it may be something in the model and/or texture loading.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest jscharpf

Thanks Bill,With the default 737 panel it works fine. Now I have to figure out what's going on with the ATR panel.Thanks!Jef

>Thanks Bill,>With the default 737 panel it works fine. Now I have to figure>out what's going on with the ATR panel.Ok, now at least you have some 'evidence' to take back to Flight1 and explore the problem further.Since I don't own their product, I cannot of course give any specific debug steps to take, but in general some areas to explore would be:1) missing/corrupted sound file(s)?2) missing/corrupted dependent .dll file(s)?3) configuration file problem(s)?One optional diagnostic might be to selectively comment out gauges in the panel.cfg in an attempt to narrow the problem down to one (or more) gauges.However, not knowing the inter-dependencies of their gauge system, this would best be done under Flight1's direction, since they of course will be aware of such dependencies! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest jscharpf

Thanks for the help Bill. I changed one setting in the ATR configurator.I bumped up the virtual gauges to HIGH resolution from LOW resolution and WALLA! Instant success lol.I have no idea why or how long it will last but I'm flying it again.Jeff

Thanks Bill.I have just updated my Flight1 ATR72-500 with SP3.Until then it worked fine with SP1+SP2.As soon as I updated to SP3,I kept getting the atc.dll CTDs.Posting a query to the Flight1 ATR Forum was not a great deal of help,till I came across your solution.So I tried it,and,voila,FS9 actually loads the ATR72-500 SP3 and all.So,as you have hinted,it must be a bug in Flight1's SP3.I reckon I will just uninstall this aircraft if this SP causes CTDs.There are other prop aircraft out there that don't make using FS9 a software engineer's debugging session instead of of it is meant to do---provide hours of pleasure flying aircraft!!RICK

My FS9 ATR flies like a dream, no issues at all. Interesting discussion here about the low res gauges. I can tell you that the FSX version with Windows 7 is worthless. I have posted on the support site as well numerous times and no answer. Wait, let me check tonight... Nope. Crickets. I am going to try what you said about the low res gauges and see if that helps. But there is also another underlying issue with the FSX version which is that one fuel tank is not feeding so you get a major list to one side after a long flight. I doubt the low res gauges will help that problem.

As an update, I thought I should post that the FSX version now works properly on my system. I did two things to make it work:1. Installed the plane in SAFE MODE2. Installed the service pack SP1 in SAFE MODEI am a happy camper now.