Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Star Citizen Charges $27,000 to Unlock ships

2 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

$188 Million.  6 years in development.  And a horribly broken pre-alpha build.

Sounds like the crj

• Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

While I understand the amazement, I really don't understand why people are so horrified about this move. You're not forced to purchase anything. This is an offer. 

In my opinion, Star Citizen is not a 'circle in the drain' or vaporware of whatever adjective you fling at it. There's a clear plan for the development of the game, and they've actually come pretty far. I myself, is a backer (although only for the cheapest option!) and I certainly enjoy logging in, and flying around and landing on the available planets etc... 

Yes, it's far from finished and yes, there's a long way to go yet. But they regularly release updates, they have quarterly monthly feature updates and there's new features and fixes coming quite fast. 

Sometimes I get the feeling, that people who is so horrified and appalled about Star Citizen, is the ones who actually doesn't follow the development and news cycle of the game. It's a bit sad, since I they then end up spreading highly subjective, false information, which quickly leads to a feeding frenzy, with pathos tones arguments flying everywhere, which isn't based in fact or truth, but rather based on feelings and quickly developed opinions about what this software does and don't. The discussion evolves into a blame game, which blames the developers (RSI) and claims that everything from they're wasting their backers money to that the whole thing is one big scam operation... 

I'm sorry for this post, but I just felt it needed to be said. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

On 6/27/2018 at 11:46 AM, birdguy said:

Betty?  Did you see that 27,000 dollars in change I had on my dresser?  I can't find it now.

Noel

OMG ROFLMAO  Noel !  You didn't tell me Betty is a hard core gamer .

Edited by Penzoil3

$188 Million, 6 years and really nothing to show for it. $27,000 for some JPEGs. 

Funny, Vancouver was able to complete a rapid transit corridor in 4 years, 20 km long, majority tunneled, albeit for over $2.0 Billion. 

I would surmise that for $188 Million and 6 years, you would have the ultimate video game.

• Like 1

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

Amazing. I as able to get the same deal six months ago for only USD $15000. It pays to sign up early..............Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Oh yeah, Sue, she's hard core alright.  Her favorite games are Feeding the Cats 3.0 and Going Shopping 125.2.

Noel 

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

7 hours ago, Groovy_Kincaid said:

$188 Million, 6 years and really nothing to show for it. $27,000 for some JPEGs. 

What do you mean 'nothing to show for it'??? 

Please stop stating your own personal opinion as fact!! 
This is exactly the kind of subjective information, which is being spread. 

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

14 hours ago, Chock said:

Announcing the all new Star Citizen add-on:

Nigerian Space Prince - You play a character who has inherited 27 Million Space Dollars, but for some inexplicable reason your character does not have a basic intergalactic bank account they are able to use; thus your mission is to find other wealthy people in the galaxy who will lend you their bank account details so you can transfer your fortune to Cloud Imperium Games....erm I mean, erm, oh, let's think.... got it, to transfer your fortune to, erm.... other sectors of the galaxy with their assistance.

Was this game written on the planet Nigerium

Harry Woodrow

I backed this when it was first Kickstarted for the minimum amount and haven't spend a single penny since then.  I think that calling it Vapourware is a little bit of a stretch, progress is slow it's almost measurable in geological timescales; but this aside clear progress is being made.  Chris Roberts is the problem, he is almost certainly the American Peter Molyneux, the original game sounded like a slightly more in depth Elite with a larger focus on combat, the current game sounds like second life set in space mixed with P3D and Doom, sounds awesome but the more they pile on the longer it will take.

Ian R Tyldesley

Yup, Star Citizen initially sounded interesting to me too, sort of like a cross between Elite/Frontier and Eve, albeit with a rubbish name, I mean seriously, Star Citizen is the best they could think up? Rubbish name aside, it rapidly became apparent even before any sort of release that it was going to be a money pit, so I lost interest in it when that was obviously the way it was going, and yes, it was a long time ago that it became obvious that it was going to be a transaction fest. To be fair, I don't actually object to micro transactions in games so ,long as they are not too costly and not a 'pay to win' type of deal, but 27 grand is hardly a micro transaction of any kind whatever its content is lol.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

8 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

What do you mean 'nothing to show for it'??? 

Please stop stating your own personal opinion as fact!! 
This is exactly the kind of subjective information, which is being spread. 

I was an initial backer. Got my refund due to lack of financial transparency, scope creep, failure to meet deadlines and promises.

There is a lot of information on the internet to provide facts.

I’m not going to get into a lengthy discussion about this. I was once there like you.

If you feel that logging in and landing your space ship on a couple of planets is the best use of $188 Million and 6 years, then that’s your opinion.

You’re entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. Mine are based on facts that you can search yourself.

• Upvote 1

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

I am in the wrong business ...though  it does remind me of the period of time some years back when the Canadian Government was trying to promote games development in Canada , they would finance the production of game titles and even Flight Sim Addons , basically footing the whole bill for production costs and expecting a percentage of sales in return. 

This sounded like a great idea but what ended up happening is that the real money was in the subvention itself , companies would make a series of products with no real market in order to receive grants to bring these to market, it was almost irrelevant if they sold a dozen copies as the return on investment was based on a percentage of sales. All it took was a glowing prospectus .

Eventually the government wised up and canned the program , Canada did become a games powerhouse , much of the credit for that can go to ubisoft who built at their expense a large Motion Capture Studio that is rented out at 4000$ an hour or somesuch and used for film and game production .  Once that was available many dozens of companies began setting up shop in Montreal making AAA titles and apps.

Best CJ

On 6/29/2018 at 2:25 AM, Chock said:

Yup, Star Citizen initially sounded interesting to me too, sort of like a cross between Elite/Frontier and Eve, albeit with a rubbish name,

I think this is what the defenders of SC don't get -- that there are many of us who were initially interested in the game, and would have been perfectly happy with just a modern take on the classic cockpit-level space games. A worthy successor to Tie Fighter, Freespace 2, and yes Wing Commander. That's all we ever wanted. And look what it turned into. 

I'm equally disappointed in Elite:Dangerous, which is the best first few hours of space cockpit immersion I've ever seen, but quickly turns into an empty grind after that. I wish Frontier would sell that engine and let someone else do something interesting with it.

Meanwhile, Independence War 2 is still the best cockpit-level space game I've ever played, and these big-budget projects still haven't managed to surpass that 20-year old game as a completed project. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I also supported this game a couple of years ago with a minimal purchase at my son's urging.  He loved Freelancer when he was younger.

The main problem here is scope creep - and....they have changed out the rendering engine about 3 times already.

They could learn a lesson from the initial engineers of the Boeing 747- they designed a plane and said, "This is the plane we're going to build - regardless of materials improvements, electronic improvements, computer improvements, etc."    It was an engineering marvel in that I believe they pulled it off in 18 months, design to flying.

They should have started with a modern version of Freelancer (the head Star Citizen fellow was the lead behind this project back in the day).  They could have then built forward on top of that - but starting with a complete, real, working game.   All I'm seeing lately is more and more content offered, but it's the gameplay that will serve to keep the platform afloat for the long haul.

Also not a fan to pay-as-you-go to win games.  My hope was that this would be like the early versions of World of Warcraft, except in a much larger game space.  WoW was a great game until they started making it super easy for all the whiners.  I dare not start down that rant.

Mark

• Upvote 1