Sign in to follow this  
olderndirt

Chopper question.

I'm using a Saitek X52, flying the Dreamfoil B407.  Which axis/button can be used best for 'collective'?

I'm not very familiar with that system, but if it's the X52 that includes both a joystick and a separate throttle quadrant, then you want the main axis of the throttle control assigned to collective in the XP joystick setup menu. Here's how it works:

Assign that axis to "Throttle" and not "Throttle 1 or Throttle 2".

This will automatically reverse the axis when X-Plane detects that you're flying a helicopter, and restore your throttle axis to the normal setting when flying fixed wing.

This is what you want, because you will then pull up, or backwards, on your throttle quadrant to increase rotor pitch and take off when flying helicopters. It mimics the way a real collective works, and X-Plane will do that automatically with any throttle axis assigned to just "Throttle" in the joystick assignment menu when flying helicopters.

Edited by Paraffin

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I use the throttle of an old X-52 for both throttle and collective in XP11.

I have created a few profiles for the various types of aircraft, and assign them to the proper models so that when I pick one the correct profile get's loaded.

For helis with a reciprocating engine I still need axis for throttle and mixture, so I assign the two rotaries in the X-52 HOTAS unit to that.  For turboshaft helis I use the throttle in my TS16000 for "throttle".

The only problem is that with the  use that X-52 throttle axis is becoming too "jumpy"...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

When I first assigned the X52 throttle I noticed it reversed itself for helo's and it does give me RPM's but, with the 407 I can't achieve lift off pitch with it.  I assigned another non axis for collective and it seems to want to but not much - it's a handful.

Collective uses the "prop pitch" function. Had me guessing quite a bit when trying helicopters for the first time.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

One thing I'd forgotten to do was click on SAS - much more user friendly.  Thanks for the replies.