Sign in to follow this  
roi1862

Shadows appear/Disappear

I wounder how many more P3D versions will be out till they fix the shadows issue ? P3D V6 ?  how hard can it be ?

Edited by roi1862

Roi Ben

the same problem here, also getting it plus the pauses are back, this time ever longer

1 hour ago, roi1862 said:

how hard can it be ? 

Fix it then...

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

3 minutes ago, netshadoe said:

Fix it then...

Funny. Didnt they teach you not to reply when you dont got something smart to say ?

Roi Ben

Just now, roi1862 said:

Funny. Didnt they teach you not to reply when you dont got something smart to say ?

Nope. 

They taught me not to say anything when I didn't have anything nice to say.  I didn't say anything mean.

I was just pointing out if you feel that isolating something in millions of line of code is "easy" to fix, then call them up and offer your services.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

4 minutes ago, netshadoe said:

Nope. 

They taught me not to say anything when I didn't have anything nice to say.  I didn't say anything mean.

I was just pointing out if you feel that isolating something in millions of line of code is "easy" to fix, then call them up and offer your services.

You didnt say anything mean but you didnt say anything smart or contributing either...  

Its not my job to fix the software. I am the customer and its totally legitimate to sound my opinion.

Roi Ben

With that, I do agree with you. 

But I submit the fix isn't as easy as it may seem with an ancient rendering engine that is 12 years old since FSX was released, which means it is many years older still.  And if the rumors of the large changes in the rendering engine are true for v5 (not saying it's true, just a rumor), then fixing shadows now probably isn't high on the priority list.

Edited by netshadoe
  • Like 1

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

The "disappearing shadows" issue is a shader geometry bug that seems to depend on sun angle, terrain roughness and panning distance. It does not happen all the time for all users. Using TrackIR in hilly terrain seems to bring out the worst behavior. I find that I can go for days and never see it and then for no apparent reason, it happens constantly. 

The problem has been mentioned so many times on the LM official forums that I can't imagine that LM hasn't reproduced the behavior and tried to fix it. My guess is that any fix that has been tried creates additional problems that are far worse.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kurtb said:

the same problem here, also getting it plus the pauses are back, this time ever longer

Hi Kurt,

Now, that is disappointing! After all the noise made by us during the 4.2 epoch surely this was deserving of some attention? When I read your post it made me stop and consider whether I should bother updating this time around. These pauses were more of an irritant than a showstopper, but it would be nice to have identified the source and found a lasting remedy nonetheless.

Regards,

Mike

Mike, it is just my finding but I can see a improvement, something has changed I just can't get to the sweet spot. With v4.2 the sweet spot was setting my 4k to 25 hertz and locking frames at 25. Now I have to set it to 30 hertz with unlimited frames to get a smooth ride, then eventually the blurred scenery. Well I suppose everyone has different findings.  

24 minutes ago, kurtb said:

Mike, it is just my finding but I can see a improvement, something has changed I just can't get to the sweet spot. With v4.2 the sweet spot was setting my 4k to 25 hertz and locking frames at 25. Now I have to set it to 30 hertz with unlimited frames to get a smooth ride, then eventually the blurred scenery. Well I suppose everyone has different findings.  

Hi Kurt,

’Twas ever thus! Early days, don’t worry, you’ll get there. Also, who am I kidding? I know I will update despite any legitimate reservations. Curiosity rarely permits me such behavioural changes...lol! I don’t have a 30Hz capable monitor so spare a thought for those less fortunate striving to refine performance with what we have.

Regards,

Mike