Sign in to follow this  
busdriver

REX SkyForce, PTA, ASP4, ENVSHADE, ENVTEX

Folks,

I tried to search and figure this all out, but is there a quick cheat sheet on which of these things does what? It seems that REX Skyforce is the same as ENVTEX? and PTA and ENVSHADE are the same? What should I purchase and use for P3D v4.3 that will provide the best visuals and WX for the sim?

Thanks in advance!

-Bill

8 minutes ago, busdriver said:

What should I purchase and use for P3D v4.3 that will provide the best visuals and WX for the sim?

My opinion:

ASP4 and ASCA for weather and clouds.  ENVSHADE and ENVTEX for shaders and other visual enhancements.  (Use the sky colors from ENVTEX instead of ASCA.)

• Like 1

Don't waste your money on ASCA, get REX Skyforce instead for your textures, and ASP4 for your weather engine. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

25 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Don't waste your money on ASCA, get REX Skyforce instead for your textures, and ASP4 for your weather engine. 

Very bad advice.

ASP4 + REX SF is a weather engine with seperate cloud/sky textures

ASP4 + ASCA is a combo where , in Full Dynamics mode ( ASCA ) , different cloud textures ( up to 8 ) are choosen and show up in your environment at the same time

ASP4 + ASCA for clouds + EnTex ( with ASCA integration ) for skies is even one step more

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

You can use ASP4 as the main weather engine and shut it off in REX SF and use the textures there only.

I have ASP4+ASCA combo and personally I find the textures lacking. REX SF has much better textures, and for those who don't care for the full dynamics mode, I would recommend ASP4+REX SF combo.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Bill,

To add to Aaron and Greg, Skyforce will give you good looking clouds and cloud structures, a number of sky texture sets and also rain shaft depiction, higher altitude weather.  You would want to combine it with AS4 which is the weather engine.  It will look at current METAR data and will then select the appropriate cloud structures and textures from SF and create representative weather, including visibility ranges based on the current weather you are using.   PTA will enhance the lighting and light scattering effect in the atmosphere and on aircraft surfaces - it's a great visual enhancement.  PTA is my preference over EnvShade.  Envtex is a general texture utility, but I no longer use it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

ASP4 for weather

SF for clouds textures and structures.

Envtex for sky colours used though ASCA. 

There is "no bad advice" it's all down to taste/flavor. 

• Upvote 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Ok, my head is spinning, lol! 

Appreciate the advice! I'm home the next 4 days, and it's suppose to be really hot the next few days, so perfect WX for playing with the sim. I just need to figure this out, and warm up the credit card!

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

ASP4 for weather

SF for clouds textures and structures.

Envtex for sky colours used though ASCA. 

There is "no bad advice" it's all down to taste/flavor. 

That is correct for most of us.

Myself , I want P3D to look and “behave” as real as possible , not to look as beautifull as possible ...

Orbx%20NL%20-%20mod%201.jpg

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

ASP4 + ASCA is a combo where , in Full Dynamics mode ( ASCA ) , different cloud textures ( up to 8 ) are choosen and show up in your environment at the same time

ASP4 + ASCA for clouds + EnTex ( with ASCA integration ) for skies is even one step more

3 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Myself , I want P3D to look and “behave” as real as possible , not to look as beautifull as possible ...

And therein lies the tale - my sentiments exactly.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

3 hours ago, GSalden said:

That is correct for most of us.

Agree but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

And how our monitors show colour/contrast etc. Your clouds shadows have a huge blue cast on my screen probably not what you see but way to blue on mine but if that looks right for you then=happy days. How it looks on my screen is evelevent to you all that counts is what looks right for you. We all chase the same goal really it's lucky we have different way to get it.

Up to everyone to find what looks best in their eyes.

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I really wish PTA can show us the effects as we change them on the fly instead of having to mess with settings and reload the sim in order to see changes.

5 hours ago, GSalden said:

Very bad advice.

How can you possibly say that...!? It's not very bad advice, it is a different advice and just as worthy as your advice. You may not agree with it or have a different opinion but that doesn't make the other advice 'very bad'.

These are all personal opinions. As David said " if that looks right for you then=happy days"! The ONLY things that's very bad here is saying that someone else's personal preference is 'very bad': you can never ever say that.

At the same time I should add that saying " Don't waste your money on ASCA" isn't really helping too. Why is it so hard for people to share their personal preference a bit more objective and positive? Why does ones own opinion also have to be so negative towards others? Don't get me wrong, I've fallen into the same trap quite often but I try to learn from my mistakes. 😉

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, GSalden said:

Very bad advice.

How can a much used combination be "bad advice"

• Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

6 hours ago, GSalden said:

Very bad advice.

ASP4 + REX SF is a weather engine with seperate cloud/sky textures

That's been my advice for about 8 months... but from time to time someone jumps with a different opinion - which is fine, ask 10 people in flight sim a question and you'll get many different answers.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.