Sign in to follow this  
Guest twkster

when is AP disengaged when landing/approach?

hi there, i have often wondered when pilots disengage the autopilot when on an approach or landing?can anyone tell me the normal procedure.kind regardsgavin moss

Guest PPSFA

It depends on the pilot, weather, and policy. Some airlines require manual control below 10,000, others fly to the FAF. There really is no standard answer. I usually fly the entire approach manually since thats why I bought FS in the first place, to fly ! :-)

Guest squidie

>hi there, i have often wondered when pilots disengage the>autopilot when on an approach or landing?>>can anyone tell me the normal procedure.>>kind regards>gavin mossSome aircraft disengage the A/P just after minimums on ILS, although some aspects of the A/P are still engaged, like the IAS or KIAS speed hold. Like PPSFA stated, it all depends on the weather and if the destination airport allows manual landing of some aircraft.

I'll usually go autoland to the middle marker. If the approach is looking nice I'll usually disco about 500 feet.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest twkster

Hi Gavin,That depends...Most air-carriers SOP's will require dis-connect somewhere between 100 to 200 Feet AGL after a normal Category I approach. Newer Cockpits with extensive autoflight systems were designed to be used from soon after takeoff through the final approach, and most aircarriers encourage if not require this for best fuel economics.In any case, it is considered industry standard to "go manual" soon enough after visually acquiring the runway to ensure a stable transition to landing on the centerline. The pilot should also continue to closely monitor the flight director all the way down to 50ft above touchdown as well, so as to ensure touchdown in the touchdown zone (preferably 1000-1200ft down the runway).In the "old school" cockpits, it is not unusual for the pilot to choose to fly the entire approach manually (I certainly was greedy this way)... unless of course the SOPs dictate otherwise.When I was flying for an air-carrier, I used to disc the AP at about 10,000 ft and hand fly the remainder of the letdown and the approach. This helped me stay current with my skills. That was in the old steam gauge cockpit in the 747 Classic & 727. Today, I teach in a fully automated glass flight deck (Falcon 2000), and encourage my students to use the automation to it's fullest extent, afterall, that is what it was designed for!Finally, just to show how circumstances dictate variable answers to your question, in the Falcon 2000 as an example, Collins dictates that the AP be disconnected no later than 120ft AGL on a CatI approach(Minimums of 200ft AGL), no later than 80ft AGL on a CatII approach(Minimums of 100ft AGL), and the entire approach should be handflown when using the heads-up display.... Best Regards,Tim SandersATP, FAA Designee & JAA TRE Falcon 20 & 2000

Guest Bill Hinton

Hello Tim,It is nice to know that you are still around.

hi guys, thanks to u all for replying and giving me such useful knowledge, thank you for your help.gavin moss

Indeed. Nice to have you join in again Tim. - Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest twkster

Bill,Thanks. I don't get here as often as I would like, but it's nice to know some of the old timers are still around....I should check in at "roll call" once in a while, but truth be known, I've been busy enough lately that I have to re-establish my password each time I feel like posting!Take care,TimPS - Tomorrow I am doing a RL flight to Bermuda in the 2000...

Guest twkster

Thanks Doug!Tim SandersATP, FAA Designee & JAA TRE Falcon 20 & 2000