Sign in to follow this  
Kronovan

Vancouver Intl (CYVR) Hates Vancouver Seaplane (CAM9) - Airport Wars!

I had an earlier, similarly related thread I started back in April, but trying to resurrect it recently didn't result in any replies.

Anyhow...I'm hoping my cute subject line might have got people's attention, because I'm at wits end with this problem. I've now tried with 2 different fan-made seaplane scenery addons, to add Vancouver Seaplane (CAM9) while still keeping Vancouver Intl (CYVR) as a selectable current location for a Free Flight. The problem is, the moment I copy  a CAM9 BGL file(s) {1 addon has a single AF2_CAM9.BGL, while the other has a AFX_CAM9.BGL + CAM9.BGL} into my \Addon Scenery\Scenery folder, CYVR is no longer selectable as a Current Location for a Free Flight. While I can see Vancouver International in the Current Location drop-down list, any attempt to select it instead results in Vancouver Seaplane being incorrectly selected. When I remove the the CAM9 BGL file(s) from the \Addon Scenery\Scenery folder, Vancouver International can be successfully selected from the Current Location drop-down list. Airporst near other Seaports included in these fan-made addons, don't appear to suffer from this problem.

I really want this to work -bought Ultimate Terrain Canada v2 so it could- as I'm a big fan of seaplanes and bush piloting. So I'm hoping someone here can give me some ideas as to how to iron out this wrinkle. Unfortunately my knowledge of the location of FSX scenery files and their contents, is too limited. I do have a BGL viewer installed, so I can look in specific files it it will help with the process.  If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

Edited by Kronovan

Was this the seaplane base download from Flyaway site?  And after installing it,  CYVR is MIA?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks for the reply Charliearon.

One of the addons was indeed downloaded from the Flyaway site, while the other was downloaded here from the Avsim library. CYVR is not MIA, it just can't be successfully selected from the Free Flight - Current Location drop down, despite it appearing on the list. Back when I created my earlier thread, I didn't own and have the prerequisite Ultimate Terrain Canada addon installed, but I now have it - very nice product that fixed a lot of irregularities for me along the BC coast.

Something I just did immediately after I last posted, was try a test involving creating a flight plan for each addon in turn, with Vancouver Intl as the departure airport. That worked - I create the plans and when I'm prompted as to whether or not I want the plane moved to departure airport (CYVR / Vancouver Intl), if I choose 'yes'  I end up on the main runway of CYVR! If I choose Vancouver Seaplane (it's called Vancouver aerodrome in the Avsim addon) as the departure in the plan, that also works. It's specifically just selecting Vancouver Intl for a Free Flight - Current Location that isn't working - very weird.

Sounds pretty weird.  I installed the seaplane base download from flyaway and then tried going to first CAM9, which is just my aircraft floating in the water (I don't have UT installed) and then chose Vancouver Intl. and was put on the active runway there.  I also tried just starting up at CYVR and that also worked.

SBMWAS.......translated...Sure Beats Me..with a stick:blink:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Yup, it's a weird one. For now, for those times I want to Free Flight out of CYVR I can just have a simple flight plan to load up.

My problem is more nieces and nephews that enjoy flying around in the Cub or Robinson, who just want to quick take-off from CYVR and putt around greater Vancouver. Guess I'll just need to take the next step and show them how to load up a flight plan.  😉 

Edited by Kronovan