Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Ground textures gets more blurry the further I fly

6 hours ago, ttbq1 said:

I had followed Rob advice and turn down the TV refresh rate from 60hz to 30hz (via Nvidia Control Panel) and set P3D to Vsync ON Triple buffering On and set FPS limited to 33 (not exactly 30 but 33) still my FPS are locked at 30 because the vsync and tv refresh rates is matched at 30.

There seems to be some confusion.  My advice, if you can run your Monitor at 30Hz, then use Unlimited with Vsync ON.  If you can NOT run your monitor at 30Hz and 60Hz is the ONLY option, then use Framerate limit = 30 (Vsync On/Off shouldn't matter but I like to always keep Vsync On).

Cheers, Rob.

6 hours ago, ErichB said:

Do you still run your monitor @ 30Hz with NV CP Triple Buffering

What does this do?  

UseGlobalTerrainView=True

The default falue is False.

Performance Tuning Tip:

By default, every camera has its own terrain view which requests texture and dem tiles near the camera to ensure that all cameras get a quality view of terrain. When tessellation is enabled, it is possible for cameras to share data and avoid the extra work required to manage multiple terrain views. For multi-view scenarios in which all views are near each other, it may be desirable to have views simply render the terrain tiles loaded by the default view. Setting this option to True will prevent all camera from creating a terrain view except for the default 3d view. This can help avoid texture flashing and terrain spikes that occur on some systems with multiple views and/or multiple video cards. This value can be overridden by the UseGlobalTerrainView entry in a given CameraDefinition allowing each camera to determine whether or not to create a terrain view. This setting will be engorged if Tessellation is not enabled.

I may give this a shot to see if it makes a difference. I didn't know that each camera had it's own view or rending cycle.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

59 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

There seems to be some confusion.  My advice, if you can run your Monitor at 30Hz, then use Unlimited with Vsync ON.  If you can NOT run your monitor at 30Hz and 60Hz is the ONLY option, then use Framerate limit = 30 (Vsync On/Off shouldn't matter but I like to always keep Vsync On).

Cheers, Rob.

Should I enable triple buffering on with either way? Currently I am running at 60Hz and limited my fps to 30 with v-sync off.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I have a 60Hz 49 inch  curved Samsung, also suffer the blurriness fiasco, the only way i get a smooth experience is with Rob's settings, but i have to change my monitor to 29Hz and fps locked at 50. If i use 30Hz with 30fps locked no blurriness but lots of stutters, when i use 30Hz with unlimited frames it is very smooth but then i get bluriness, the same if i set monitor  to 25Hz. I think it has to do with what monitor you using, don't know, mystery perhaps?

I rather leave my display at 60Hz for other games. It would be an inconvenience to constantly change that every time I want to play other games.

Triple Buffering will NOT make a difference to "the blurries", experiment with it and see if you notice any benefits ... Triple Buffering is usually done to smooth out frames (generate less long frames) but this ONLY works well if your "potential" FPS are above your FPS cap or Vsync cap. 

How do you find out your "potential" FPS (this is just a test to determine what your system can do at any given location and add-on set) ... turn Vsync OFF, triple buffer unchecked, set Unlimited.  Now fly around and monitor your log your FPS noting the LOWEST FPS and your AVG FPS value (shift+z).  For the sake of verbosity lets call this pFPS (Potential FPS).

After you complete your test loop, you can decide which value to use as your pFPS, either the Lowest FPS or AVG FPS.  For least amount of long frames/smoothness use the Lowest FPS you noted as your pFPS, but if your system is struggling with FPS during your test (wild fluctuations), use AVG FPS as your pFPS).  The pFPS is what your system can do at whatever graphics settings, add-ons, and location you used for the test loop.  If the pFPS is below your monitor Refresh rate, then set the framerate limit to your pFPS value.  If your pFPS is above your monitor's refresh rate by about 3 FPS, then use Unlimited, Vsync ON, Triple buffer ON.  If it's at or above your Refresh rate but not 3 FPS above, then do NOT use Triple Buffer.

Examples:

pFPS = 40
Monitor Refresh = 60Hz
Framerate = 30
Triple Buffer = Checked if you go with Vsync ON
Vsync = On or Off (shouldn't matter since you are below 60Hz)

pFPS = 31
Monitor Refresh = 60Hz
Framerate = 30
Triple Buffer = UnChecked 

pFPS = 27
Monitor Refresh = 60Hz
Framerate = 27

pFPS = 40
Monitor Refresh = 30Hz
Framerate = Unlimited
Triple Buffer = Checked
Vsync = On

pFPS = 31
Monitor Refresh = 30Hz
Framerate = Unlimited
Vsync = On

pFPS = 27
Monitor Refresh = 30Hz
Framerate = 27
Vsync = On (it's likely you'll exceed 30 FPS during flight once you are above our out of the dense location)

Cheers, Rob.

In my simple experience, stuff gets blurry if I have sliders too far to the right. It depends to some extent on airspeed (it gets blurry faster at mach 2!).

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Unfortunately the topic has turned into a standard "blurries" thread. I assure you what the Op reported and what I'm reporting in 4.3 is not your standard "blurries" issue.  @Rob Ainscough did your 4.3 install get blurrier over time? 

I have examples...This is a flight from KSDF to KBWI that I've flown over a dozen times in 4.3 with the exact same outcome, not once able to land.

Starts off super sharp without issue, and over the next 30-40mins each time this happens:

wBYPxnt.png

1zFr7DV.png

12QIkXU.png

8PfvHem.png

uQ1HcWU.png

HalppA7.png

FJrqDqp.png

Q3GDL5X.png

it is not isolated to ORBX, as it includes custom airports scenery as well.

Edited by OMGEDSON
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, OMGEDSON said:

Unfortunately the topic has turned into a standard "blurries" thread. I assure you what the Op reported and what I'm reporting in 4.3 is not your standard "blurries" issue.  @Rob Ainscough did your 4.3 install get blurrier over time? 

I've seen the problem that you have reported even in P3d V4.2. Rob's suggestion of limiting frames is the best option. This relieves the stress on the terrain engine, which gets further and further behind until eventually visual abberations become noticeable close to user's aircraft.

Another option that I have found that works for me is using FFTF Dynamic. It doesn't improve frame rates but it does increase smoothness and reduce both blurries and delayed autogen loading.

I had this issue in 4.2 with FFTF and I still have it in 4.3 with or without FFTF. 

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

Rob, I tried your suggestion by limiting my FPS to 30, VSYNC OFF, Triple Buffering Off... I find my fps at FSDT KDEN while departing runway 16L ranges from 13-18. I went into P3D settings and changed the FPS limit to unlimited and my fps jumped up to 20-25fps, and while in the skies I get about 30+. Is this normal? With P3D set to unlimited my fps is high, usually around 30-60fps, but as soon as I cap my frames to 30, it syncs to 20 and below.

OMGEDSON, and yes that's the exact problem I was facing

16 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Rob, I tried your suggestion by limiting my FPS to 30, VSYNC OFF, Triple Buffering Off... I find my fps at FSDT KDEN while departing runway 16L ranges from 13-18. I went into P3D settings and changed the FPS limit to unlimited and my fps jumped up to 20-25fps, and while in the skies I get about 30+. Is this normal? With P3D set to unlimited my fps is high, usually around 30-60fps, but as soon as I cap my frames to 30, it syncs to 20 and below.

OMGEDSON, and yes that's the exact problem I was facing

We are in the same boat, and it's not tied to the FPS setting, at all, I can force to 30 in NVI and Sim and still see it. It's not based on CPU/GPU load or temps as I have PLENTY to spare when its starting or occurring. 

-e

This is a cumulative effect. It's not noticeable at the beginning of a flight but it become noticeable as on one descends from high altitude to land. By analogy here's what the terrain engine is attempting to do:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OMGEDSON said:

We are in the same boat, and it's not tied to the FPS setting, at all, I can force to 30 in NVI and Sim and still see it. It's not based on CPU/GPU load or temps as I have PLENTY to spare when its starting or occurring. 

-e

Then this problem is very strange indeed, and I'm wondering what is the cause of this. I don't recall ever seeing this in P3D v4.1, which I was using previously.

Could be a problem in the new 4.3 that is caused from the new rendering technique used for ground and or photo textures.