Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Ground textures gets more blurry the further I fly

4 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I also have this in my Prepar3D.cfg, but why is this a bad setting?

Yes your combination of settings is bad and might cause problems, per Beau at LM.  I would just remove TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP line from your Prepar3d.cfg.  If you don't like to "fiddle" you really don't need to fiddle, the only meaningful time to use TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP is when you set it to 10 and have a GPU with at least 9GB VRAM or more. 

But like I suggested before, you have a lot of add-ons that could be triggering your 100% CPU usage across all cores, you'll need to solve that problem before proceeding.  To do that you'll need to disable every add-on and then test, if test goes well (no blurries) then that's actually good news (meaning it's not your hardware at fault)  then slowly add one add-on/scenery at a time and test again until you find the source.

Cheers, Rob.

22 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Your results still seem pretty low to me even for that model mechanical HD (WD2003).  I notice you have 2X, if you're running a two 2TB in a RAID 0, I would avoid doing any "on chip" RAID unless you're using a dedicated RAID controller that has it's own processor and RAM cache.

Cheers, Rob.

It's that cache that could be killing the read speed.... tell you what, the drives alone are solid WD Black 2TB, I'm going to image the contents, and format to individuals.  I'll first test I/O on formatted disk to ensure they are ok, then i'll clone contents into it eliminating RAID.  Thanks for nerding out with me, you're in the bay yea? Would love to have a coffee sometime.

-e

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:08 AM, Rob Ainscough said:

Actually the most important part of my suggestion for those running 60Hz monitor refresh is to set frame limit = 30 not unlimited.

cheers Rob

Just to confirm, the above setup should go with VSYNC = ON, correct?

For a hypothetical, what are your thoughts on running an External Limiter, i.e. Nvidia Control Panel or Nvidia Inspector, locking frames at 30, and then setting P3D with VSYNC=ON, TripleBuffer=Off, and Targeted Frames=Unlimited ?

Difference is that the frames are being limited externally, rather than internally within P3D.

mike

When using the Resource monitor, what sort of CPU usage are you guys seeing while flying in P3D? Mine is always like 95% - 128%. I have just updated my NVIDIA Drivers to 398.36 too and it made no difference. I did disable AI traffic, Boat traffic, lowered my sliders, disbabled some add-ons but not all. Loaded up without Rex Skyforce or Active Sky running. Even though resource monitor shows CPU usage above 100%, the sim is still smooth. But the progressive blurries still exist.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

6 hours ago, orbmis said:

Just to confirm, the above setup should go with VSYNC = ON, correct?

For a hypothetical, what are your thoughts on running an External Limiter, i.e. Nvidia Control Panel or Nvidia Inspector, locking frames at 30, and then setting P3D with VSYNC=ON, TripleBuffer=Off, and Targeted Frames=Unlimited ?

Difference is that the frames are being limited externally, rather than internally within P3D.

mike

Mike,

The difference is that if you limit externally, you forgo the benefit of lowered demand on the CPU for paging and resource management. P3D's CPU management can only react to limited fps if limited internally. The result is that while limiting externally will reduce demand on the GPU, it won't reduce demand on the CPU, and therefore you'll still be susceptible to stutters. VSYNC and Triple Buffer are GPU functions and have no control of, or impact on blurries or stutters.

Remember, CPU is almost ALWAYS the bottleneck with P3D...not GPU.

I'm only running a GTX1070, and in all my testing, there are only two ways I can saturate my GPU, and neither of which cause blurries or stutters...only lower fps:

1.) nighttime, Dynamic Lights on, 4xSSAA or higher = GPU at 100%

2.) TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 = exceed graphics memory limit of 8GB

I feel for you folks that are struggling with blurries, because I remember how frustrating it is. Don't give up, it can be beaten.

Kind Regards,

• Upvote 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

7 minutes ago, captain420 said:

When using the Resource monitor, what sort of CPU usage are you guys seeing while flying in P3D? Mine is always like 95% - 128%. I have just updated my NVIDIA Drivers to 398.36 too and it made no difference. I did disable AI traffic, Boat traffic, lowered my sliders, disbabled some add-ons but not all. Loaded up without Rex Skyforce or Active Sky running. Even though resource monitor shows CPU usage above 100%, the sim is still smooth. But the progressive blurries still exist.

How can you have CPU usage over 100%?

CPU for me typically runs between 20% - 50% with periods up to 80%, but my core 0 is almost ALWAYS at 100%.

..."sim is still smooth. But the progressive blurries still exist." - the smooth part suggests to me that your core 0 is not saturated (even though it may run at 100%)

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

Just a thought...those of you experiencing progressive blurries...are you using "FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=" declaration? I have seen many threads that talked about the magic of FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1 or 0.01. If you're using a low setting like that, I'd eliminate that declaration and see if it helps.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

I'm not sure how the resource monitor shows my CPU Usage running between 95% - 130%. Sim is smooth though. I'm not seeing any blurries yet (knock on wood). I have been flying for about 30 minutes now. I have targeted frame rate locked to 30, vsync on, triple buffering off. 

I just added the FIBER_FRAME_FRACTION=0.10 and also set my TEXTURE_EXP_SIZE=9 and HIGH_RESOLUTION_TERRAIN_TEXTURES=1.

Not sure if that was the fix to the progressive blurries, I'll have to continue with this flight and keep an eye out. But so far it's looking good.

Also I usually have Chrome open to surf the net and watch youtube while flying. Currently have about 30 tabs open. Does this have any effect on P3D?

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Seriously, it's really saddening that a topic like this is still needed these days... We shouldn't have to deal with all this crap. We should be able to install the software and use it, period. I really don't dare to tell anyone I know to get into this hobby with P3D or XP. It's ridiculous.

5 hours ago, captain420 said:

Also I usually have Chrome open to surf the net and watch youtube while flying. Currently have about 30 tabs open. Does this have any effect on P3D?

Thats a joke, right?

• Like 2

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

EDIT

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, captain420 said:

IAlso I usually have Chrome open to surf the net and watch youtube while flying. Currently have about 30 tabs open. Does this have any effect on P3D? 

3 hours ago, J van E said:

Seriously, it's really saddening that a topic like this is still needed these days... We shouldn't have to deal with all this crap. We should be able to install the software and use it, period. I really don't dare to tell anyone I know to get into this hobby with P3D or XP. It's ridiculous.

I think most of the community can negotiate Lockheed's P3D without issue. To the others ....get an IPad.

4 hours ago, J van E said:

I really don't dare to tell anyone I know to get into this hobby with P3D or XP.

Most people have little acumen when it comes to PC's generally  - and even less when it comes to flying.  Complicating that model with literally hundreds of plugin and add-ons that have to talk to each other requires some (learnt) skill and interest in making things work - and then you still have to grasp the flying bit.    If anyone has no real interest in PC's or has only a  marginal interest in flying, I won't bother trying to convince them anyway.

10 hours ago, captain420 said:

I'm not sure how the resource monitor shows my CPU Usage running between 95% - 130%. Sim is smooth though. I'm not seeing any blurries yet (knock on wood). I have been flying for about 30 minutes now. I have targeted frame rate locked to 30, vsync on, triple buffering off. 

I just added the FIBER_FRAME_FRACTION=0.10 and also set my TEXTURE_EXP_SIZE=9 and HIGH_RESOLUTION_TERRAIN_TEXTURES=1.

Not sure if that was the fix to the progressive blurries, I'll have to continue with this flight and keep an eye out. But so far it's looking good.

Aaron,

"I just added the FIBER_FRAME_FRACTION=0.10 and also set my TEXTURE_EXP_SIZE=9 and HIGH_RESOLUTION_TERRAIN_TEXTURES=1" - With your new settings, are you still experiencing the extreme CPU load shown in your earlier post?

Regarding Chrome being open while flying, I would argue that any programs that use resources required by P3D, will limit performance. It's not uncommon for me to have FireFox open when flying, but if I am flying a demanding situation (or about anytime I fly PMDG aircraft), I shut down all running programs not necessary to run P3D.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

12 hours ago, captain420 said:

Yes. 

Aaron, in the future it would be more helpful to both us and you and other readers if you provided all the information about your environment.

Rob.