Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Ground textures gets more blurry the further I fly

Since this thread has been completely derailed, I'll throw in my two cents. Neither P3d4 nor XP11 have made major improvements that affect the piloting aspects.  It's all about eye candy and screenshot mania. But there's a good reason for that. Both sim developers now rely on commercial 3rd party add-ons to extend their sims. LR used to rely on the community to provide freeware, but that's changed. Both have excellent weather, ATC and AI Traffic add-ons but you're going pay to use them. On the other hand, Aerofly FS2 shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as P3d4 and XP11. It's a travelogue not a flightsim.

And please, for the few people that try to shame LM or LR into adding a feature, please give it a rest. Neither is listening to your rants.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

"They are focused on procedures and not sightseeing..." I Agree, plus I think we should go back to the platform where you can do procedures and not have to worry about blurries in the distance. No more adjusting settings and upgrading systems. Save tons of money and time by throwing it back to 1995. 640full-microsoft-flight-simulator-95-sc

The hell with this whole immersion thing. We don't need weather, clouds, fog, rain, snow, trees, power lines etc. Just give me a flat bare land and I can focus on my procedures.... ;P

On a serious note, years back when I was heavy into scenery development with my buddy, we were approached by a few fellows asking if we could model their fields in the sim (Not P3D) to how they see it in person. This included populated areas, local landmarks power lines etc. for use when their pilots were training they could see the same things in the sim that they would see while flying in and around their local airfields. They wanted the immersion factor so when they got up there it almost looked the same on their arrivals and departures. 

I for one am not a real-world pilot, but I do like to fly real-world approaches. A good one is the Expressway Visual Approach 31 into LaGuardia. Landmarks listed on the charts are not there in the sim. So I added them for myself and ended up doing most of Queens in and around there. 

The overall point is you're flying a VFR and using ground landmarks ie rivers, roads, you might need to be able to see them as clear as possible to train and practices. Just my two cents. 

Edited by Shylock_35

I7-8086K Delid OC Synced all cores 5.2  Corsair Hydro Series, H115i PRO ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 SLI CORSAIR HXi Series HX1200i 1200W G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB DDR4 3200 Windows 10 Pro 64

PMDG 737NGX

In summary, solutions to blurries:

1.  Use FFTF dynamic at your own risk (I don't know how this could work reliably in a threaded environment, more info is needed)
2.  Make sure all your CPU cores are not working at 99-100% load all the time (set graphics settings accordingly, reduce)
3.  Make sure your GPU is not working at 95-100% load all the time (set graphics settings accordingly, reduce)
4.  Manage your add-ons (enable what you need, disable what you don't need for a flight)
5.  Make sure all the add-ons you have installed are for P3D V4.3
6.  Assume responsibility for any manual edits you make to .cfg files or other files
7.  Understand how Vsync, Unlimited vs. Framerate limit, max FPS, and your monitor's refresh rate all work together

Sometimes the best course of action to problem resolution is to step back and don't overly complicate the experience.  I think many users hook onto a bit-o-info they spot in a thread from one user's experience and immediately apply it to their situation ... that's a rare exception it's transferable as almost everyone's FS environment (add-ons, settings) and hardware vary.  There is no ONE solution for all.

Cheers, Rob.

im sorry to inform many here; its not LM who's pushing your individual environments!

LM out of the box doesn't have any issues; its only when you guys start mixing things around is when things start to happen; its ok if you try to manipulate your environment to get more out of your gear,
its not OK to try and blame someone else when its not exactly working for you the way you like it too,

it is still not LM's fault some third party addon is not up to date or the developer behind it is not keeping up with architectural changes,

a personal rant to you all!!!
many of you here jump into conclusion with regards to LM policy and many other aspects,
please understand LM does hear your voices; be it through ambassadors or designated professionals!

many of us are here atm because many of you having so many issues!
yet not one of you this entire thread presented a single case we can properly investigate :sad:

we spend months working on each platform release,
to hear you guys tossing fault over our professional work!
yes we are professionals at what we do; the complaining side is not! (no offense) 
its as if the finger is pointed at us as signed off dev's well; as we each have personal time and sweat invested with each release, you're essentially not just saying LM didn't do their work,
but each dev signed off on the release also didn't do their work as well!

instead of asking or point out a possible fault; zero accountability or responsibility is taken!
the entire attention is conveniently diverted to the one place it shouldn't be, LM and P3D!

what most of you dont account for is LM is responsible approach to all your existing addons!
they could have just as easily wiped out the old code and rebuild a new one from scratch;
all of you would have no leg to stand on nor old addons still working for you,

even though its not really their concern to make sure older dev's can still earn their living; they should be concerned about developing simulation platform for managing military and large fleets,
that include war game simulation, underwater and space exploration,

you cannot even mention P3D nor the efforts behind it in the same sentence with...
XP or FSW these are gaming platforms designed to be low cost Steam shop gaming applications mimicking flight simulation!
P3D is the real deal simulation platform!

the people behind it are not kids nor will hang up their lab coats anytime soon,
do some research who LM is and how long they have been around to better understand their stance in this arena,
there isn't a government on this planet that is not controlled by LM tentacles in one way or the other,

Edited by Chris Bell
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

1.  Use FFTF dynamic are your own risk (I don't know how this could work reliably in a threaded environment, more info is needed)

If you notice, Rob, nowhere have I recommended using FFTF Dynamic to cure the "extended flight blurries" problem. As you suggest, it might introduce other issues for certain hardware and software combinations. Like any of these "performance enhancers", these statements are not designed to suggest that the product can cure or treat any disease (with apologies to the US FDA).

And even though I use FFTF=0.50  for the high altitude limit, I can see no evidence that it actually does anything obvious. Just because FFTF=0.50, it doesn't mean that for half of each frame time the sim is loading scenery textures. It just means that there is that much more headroom to do so, if needed. I suppose one could play around and set FFTF even higher, but that sounds like an easy way of breaking everything. The way the app works does seem like it's designed to address this blurries problem. On or near the ground, the CPU is burdened with drawing building autogen, AI traffic and roadway traffic. At high elevation, the CPU can catch up and load scenery textures, even if it already has fallen behind and some textures and autogen off in the distance have not been loaded.

• Like 1

Some of you are aware I am not a regular end user;
what I am about to share is not my personal opinion it’s a fact!
the majority here will not have access to such information as it is not published anywhere,
This is not a promotional for our work as it doesn’t need any on its own merits,

not a single one of our customers has posted here; nor experiencing the likes of these ghost issues,
don’t get me wrong... they know where to come and we have dealt with many issues since 4.3 release!
we had our share of customers hitting our support with some issues out of this planet;
we dealt with and resolved every single one of them!

From everything we dealt with so far;
not a single issue required reporting a bug back to LM with regards to 4.3 release,
Not to say there are no bugs to report; we just haven’t found one yet and we dealt with some extreme messes,

Everyone were in this mishmash of a mess ourselves included;
what we learned… not one of the major dev’s work was the culprit,
It always was some small tool being migrated from fsx or some off the shelve addons they used;
or simply just an old fsx habit they deployed incorrectly in their cfg's that messed everything up,

With that said I challenge anyone here with a valid issue related to 4.3 release;
to come forward with a viable issue we can reproduce and investigate,
For the record if you can reproduce you should simply demonstrate the issue on LM forums, it’s that simple!

Edited by Chris Bell

Remember that the sim continues trying to maintain fps irrespective of time taken to load any number of textures. That's why counting fps to determine performance is useless.

Blurriness in the tiles shows that the maximum texture rate is overreached, possibly because of improvements in the system basically getting more textures to the GPU than usual. So just when you think you've improved performance with a new GPU or enhanced driver the performance seems to drop in some way.

At some point into the flight textures start to blur. Not because there's not enough CPU throughput, or not enough time to load them, but rather the GPU is unable to show each full graphic, only very few of the pixels of the graphic can load irrespective of the time given per frame across perhaps many or all in view are affected.

Some might be affected more than others depending on the 'busy-ness' within the tile, giving rise to suspicious autogen behaviour. In the background stuff spools up until the queue is not serviced in time. Unload the textures by saving the flight and restarting does not cure it but restarts the process to clear the issue temporarily. There's too big a facet count or perhaps an open facet or glitch in data somewhere holding  up the process. Does it with FSX:SE more often in systems than with FSX boxed and SE can handle more throughput.

Reduce the sim to a really and truly stock version and test from there.

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 3

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Chris - are you for real?

Are you a LM employee? You posts use "we" and "they" in the same breath. Also - for such a world-wide company, your use of grammar and punctuation is pretty bad. Hardly a recommendation for a company that's meant to be so reputable.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

@Adamski_NZ

i have no idea who you are! :laugh:
no one here needs nor looking for your approval!
beside your derail attempts what have you contributed?
good thing you two are the only uneducated minority in this discussion ,

You know who focus on the carrot?
How’s that for grammar!

Edited by Chris Bell

I remind 1000 times. From may 2018 , I had blluries, and it doesnt matter with, or without addons. I reistalled windows 2 times, severall times Prepare3d, I set lowest settings, NO RESULTS.

I suspect windows 1803, because I started to observe it with Prepare3d 4.2 in may.

• Like 1

@Marina Kosherova
when in flight; how long before these blurries appear for you?
which aircraft are you using; what is your alt and cruise speed? 

Edited by Chris Bell

4 hours ago, SteveW said:

Remember that the sim continues trying to maintain fps irrespective of time taken to load any number of textures. That's why counting fps to determine performance is useless.

Blurriness in the tiles shows that the maximum texture rate is overreached, possibly because of improvements in the system basically getting more textures to the GPU than usual. So just when you think you've improved performance with a new GPU or enhanced driver the performance seems to drop in some way.

At some point into the flight textures start to blur. Not because there's not enough CPU throughput, or not enough time to load them, but rather the GPU is unable to show each full graphic, only very few of the pixels of the graphic can load irrespective of the time given per frame across perhaps many or all in view are affected.

Some might be affected more than others depending on the 'busy-ness' within the tile, giving rise to suspicious autogen behaviour. In the background stuff spools up until the queue is not serviced in time. Unload the textures by saving the flight and restarting does not cure it but restarts the process to clear the issue temporarily. There's too big a facet count or perhaps an open facet or glitch in data somewhere holding  up the process. Does it with FSX:SE more often in systems than with FSX boxed and SE can handle more throughput.

Reduce the sim to a really and truly stock version and test from there.

Steve , what about the framerate drop over time.  And when saving the flight and reloading it the framerate is back to normal.. No blurries . Like I wrote in another thread : it looks like P3Dv4.3 keeps objects/scenery too long instead of releasing it after they have been passed ( tree structure of P3D )

Since V4.3 I , and others are experiencing this.

I even reinstalled W10 and P3Dv4.3..

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Steve , what about the framerate drop over time.  And when saving the flight and reloading it the framerate is back to normal.. No blurries . Like I wrote in another thread : it looks like P3Dv4.3 keeps objects/scenery too long instead of releasing it after they have been passed ( tree structure of P3D )

Since V4.3 I , and others are experiencing this.

I even reinstalled W10 and P3Dv4.3..

Yes, just as you said, seems with yours Gerard it's likely not due to overheat as your restart to the flight save the PC is still hot. Some similar looking issues can be down to overheating but they are generally affected by other apps too - if they were attempted - often these only ever see the light of day to run P3D and with unrelenting settings. So there will be confusion in the reports. So far I've got no issues on my forum, and only a few problems cropping up from 'other system issues and apps' being involved P3D seems clear - e.g proc lasso being a problem,.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com