Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Ground textures gets more blurry the further I fly

14 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Adam said he noticed long frames (stutter) at 31fps.

So I suggested try 29. He can try 30 and even 32 if I am understood correctly - it depends ultimately on the timing of his monitor and setup.

My monitor only appears to have a setting for 60Hz. I've no way of checking what it *actually* runs at, so I'm working with 60Hz.

I did notice some stutters at 31fps but, to be honest, with my ridiculous eye-candy settings, I struggle to get anywhere near 30.

So ... I set mine to a lowly 20fps (going by 60Hz/3) and I haven't noticed any bad pauses or stutters. Others with better systems and/or GPUs will laugh at my 20fps, but I'm telling you - it's pretty smooth and I hadn't realised how much pleasure I was losing by not seeing my (maxed out) scenery in all its glory all the time.

All in all, I'm a happy camper, thanks to this thread. That said, I don't think LM should be let off the hook.

• Like 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Good point. Fixed fps performs better in DX11 than FSX but it's still going to use up all available power. Which is why we can drop down to VSync=On and with most equipment now set the monitor frequency too if we wish.

Problem with lower frequencies on P3D is that the quicker manoeuvres in faster planes or gliders might be better suited to 24 or above in P3D whereas in FSX 20 was more acceptable since it doesn't have the extra eye-goodness to cope with, in P3D the enhanced atmosphere can add more stutter with the ground.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

40 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

My monitor only appears to have a setting for 60Hz. I've no way of checking what it *actually* runs at, so I'm working with 60Hz.

I did notice some stutters at 31fps but, to be honest, with my ridiculous eye-candy settings, I struggle to get anywhere near 30.

So ... I set mine to a lowly 20fps (going by 60Hz/3) and I haven't noticed any bad pauses or stutters. Others with better systems and/or GPUs will laugh at my 20fps, but I'm telling you - it's pretty smooth and I hadn't realised how much pleasure I was losing by not seeing my (maxed out) scenery in all its glory all the time.

All in all, I'm a happy camper, thanks to this thread. That said, I don't think LM should be let off the hook.

Hi Adam,

When doing sightseeing over True Earth Netherlands I also use eye candy settings and compensate by using 20 fps too..

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

9 minutes ago, GSalden said:

When doing sightseeing over True Earth Netherlands I also use eye candy settings and compensate by using 20 fps too..

Good to hear that it's not just me then! I also struggle with a couple of the later FTX sceneries - namely Northern & Southern Germany. They're both (unavoidably) very object heavy, so I have to tweak things down a little.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

9 hours ago, gboz said:

Why are we limiting in NI.?

I had actually tried with and without NI limits on 2 out of my 3 test PC.  Also tried with and without Vsync and Triple buffer ... they all produced the same results (Autogen eventually stops rendering) when using Unlimited and those graphics settings.

But as all good scientist do, I welcome data and testing from others ... run Unlimited without Vsync or NI cap and same graphics settings and see what your results are with Autogen rendering over time.

Cheers, Rob.

27 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

Good to hear that it's not just me then! I also struggle with a couple of the later FTX sceneries - namely Northern & Southern Germany. They're both (unavoidably) very object heavy, so I have to tweak things down a little.

Mike also uses 20 fps .

And don not use a weather engine ; clouds draw distance 60 mls. No shadows and water off.

That is what Orbx advises for max performance with their TE series.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Welcome to the 20fps club. I've been touting that setting for years.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

12 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Vic

Yup, I joined your club early last year.  One day I was playing with the intermittent anti collision beacon missed flashes, one subtle side effect of frame rates being a sub multiple of screen refresh I believe, when I found I had the fewest missed beacon flashes at 24 fps.  Voila' been here about 8 months.

Dan Downs KCRP

Are you 20FPS guys using TrackIR?

Because as soon as I limit frames in P3D (doesn't matter if at 60, 30, 24, 20... it just gets worse the lower the number) the head movement gets jerky and the whole picture looks kinda blurry (it's hard to describe the effect), to the point that it's hard to look at without becoming dizzy. With unlimited frames the head movements are smooth, even when FPS drops to 25 or so. I tried to make a video with my phone but the effect is not visible as it is on my monitor looking with my eyes, which is kinda strange.

9 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

In 2018 with top end machinery worth several thousand $€ people have to run the sim at 20 FPS. That's insane! Pure madness!

What does the year have to do with this?  Are you saying everyone has the latest hardware from 2018?  I'm pretty sure they don't, far from it.

The madness is not being able to accept what can and can't be accomplished by one's hardware ... moving the sliders all the way to the right, check every box, install every add-ons (and check every box in those add-ons) and then expect 60 FPS is "the madness". 

AG/Distance settings in P3D V3 = Max is the same as P3D V4 = Medium ... so whatever FPS you got in P3D V3 at max then you'll be about 20% higher FPS in P3D V4 with the "equivalent" setting (Medium) ... the issue is that no one ever runs "equivalent" settings when comparing V3 to V4.  Higher graphics settings, more add-ons, more work for the CPU/GPU, lower FPS ... I'm not aware of any game/sim where this is not the case?

Cheers, Rob.

Personally for me I do not mind 20 fps as much as blurred textures and autopen popping. That is what is making me not want to fly P3D anymore.

Please just keep focused on solving the flurries and autopen issue!!

52 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Vic

I wish I could run smoothly at 20.

25-30 is the best I can do in most situations and it runs smooth.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

40 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

Are you 20FPS guys using TrackIR?

Yes, wouldn't fly without it. I have no issues with it on my system. 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

26 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

What does the year have to do with this?  Are you saying everyone has the latest hardware from 2018?  I'm pretty sure they don't, far from it.

The madness is not being able to accept what can and can't be accomplished by one's hardware ... moving the sliders all the way to the right, check every box, install every add-ons (and check every box in those add-ons) and then expect 60 FPS is "the madness". 

AG/Distance settings in P3D V3 = Max is the same as P3D V4 = Medium ... so whatever FPS you got in P3D V3 at max then you'll be about 20% higher FPS in P3D V4 with the "equivalent" setting (Medium) ... the issue is that no one ever runs "equivalent" settings when comparing V3 to V4.  Higher graphics settings, more add-ons, more work for the CPU/GPU, lower FPS ... I'm not aware of any game/sim where this is not the case?

Cheers, Rob.

C'mon... Folks saying they lock at 20FPS are rocking GTX1080Ti's and have their chips OC'd to 4.7GHz+. That's why I made the comment in the first place. But let's not waste time on that silly comment 😉

• Upvote 1