Sign in to follow this  
colins2

Hello again

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while, in fact a long while, since I visited Avsim. Nice to find that my old login was still there!

I haven't done much at all with simulators for a number of years as I just don't have the hardware nowadays to run them. I will try my old copy of Fly!2 though on this little desktop; it is probably as powerful as the one I used to run Fly! on all those years ago.

How many are still here, apart from Randall, Ken and Flyfisher?

Colin

Hey Colin - Not many active, (or actively responding) apparently.  I've loaded up the dark side (FSX) and am slowly configuring it and adding to it and learning its idiosyncrasies (Also still fly the Space Shuttle and Falcon 4.0).

I still run Fly!II every week.  As pretty as the environment and aircraft of FSX have become, Fly! still hold a place in my heart and I still fly it more than the others, with aircraft handling and systems still more realistic, in some cases, than their more modern counterparts.  It's just fallen behind modern graphics and, of course, the modern glass cockpits.

I've slowly updated airports and nav points around the world as I flew and now have hundreds of updates in my files. I still plan to upload then sometime - don't know if anyone will use them, but I'll make them available.

I've enjoyed some of your LinkedIn posts BTW.

Randall Rocke

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have the file "carsfflyv1u.zip" ?

My computer HDD failed and back up HDD image does not allow reimaging on a new drive so have to rebuild my Fly!2 simulator from scratch.

Many files from the AVSIM library and Simvol are missing for a complete rebuild.  One essential ones I cannot find is Harald Krafts, "carsfflyv1u.zip" essential for some of manificent airport scenary in France. 

Does anyone know know how I can obtain this file. 

P.S.I hope Harald Kraft is alive and well 

Many thanks in advance !

Edited by Helvetia
added greetings and thank you - momentary lapse in manners resolved !

I saw a very old post in the AVSIM archives that stated he would send anyone that file if they emailed him.  I found a download in our library that has his email address.  dobersbergv1.3.zip

His email is in the README.  Don't know if Harald is still alive or not, but it's worth a try.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hi all

Yes I am still alive and well. It is nice to hear that someone is still using my sceneries or parts of it.

Currently I am on vacation but when I am back home I will look for this file. I should have this file saved somewhere.

@Helvetia. You can contact me direct at kraft_harald(at)hotmail(dot)com and I will send you the file.

regards

Harald

• Like 1

Hello again Fly!2 users and legends !, 

I am still rtrying to rebuild my Fly!2 program and stuck again. 

It seems many of the French airports scenary require "Rotw-static_v1" as a prerequisite and it is no longer available in the Simvol nor AVSIM libraries.

Would anyone by any chance still have this file and can share with me?

Many thanks in advance !

Though this file (or pod?) name sounds familiar, I've searched all of my files (downloaded ROTW sceneries, airports, models, etc.) PLUS all of the actual installed items and this file does not come up in any of my searches.

At this time I have 32 French sceneries installed and 29 French airports - all of these are running fine, even tho Rotw-static_v1 doesn't seem to exist in my system.

Now, I recall that there were a few French sceneries that wouldn't work, so I removed them - the rest are OK.

Randall Rocke

Thanks Randall for taking the time to check out.  That's great to know. I will try systematically loading each French airport available keeping the ones that work and removing he ones that don't and see how I go over time.  I have a couple working so far and they are magnificent !  Much appreciated.

I've had a look through all my downloaded stuff and I don't have that particular file either.

I did manage to find ROTW-static-v2, if that's any use to you?

Colin

Edited by colins2
added comment

Thank you kindly for looking, Colin. 

I have alreadydownloaded ROTW-static-v2 from Simvol site.  It appears some of the French airports that require v1 in the readme notes and I wounder whether not having it or only having v2 is giving rise to the error:  "Unable to load aircraft model: RATEAU.acm... File: AMODEL.CPP...Lime:226"  or something similar?

Any insights appreciated

I did see a post on Simvol that mentioned another library file with plane models in addition to the ROTW one. I didn't make a note of it though but a Google search for the rotw-static-v1 should bring up the post. Maybe that's what you need?

Colin

On 10/30/2018 at 2:15 AM, RandallR said:

Hey Colin - Not many active, (or actively responding) apparently.  I've loaded up the dark side (FSX) and am slowly configuring it and adding to it and learning its idiosyncrasies (Also still fly the Space Shuttle and Falcon 4.0).

I still run Fly!II every week.  As pretty as the environment and aircraft of FSX have become, Fly! still hold a place in my heart and I still fly it more than the others, with aircraft handling and systems still more realistic, in some cases, than their more modern counterparts.  It's just fallen behind modern graphics and, of course, the modern glass cockpits.

I've slowly updated airports and nav points around the world as I flew and now have hundreds of updates in my files. I still plan to upload then sometime - don't know if anyone will use them, but I'll make them available.

I've enjoyed some of your LinkedIn posts BTW.

Hi Randall,

I used to be on LinkedIn quite a lot as it was very good with my line of work. I know it's just a glorified Facebook in a lot of ways but it had it's uses.

I tried Fly! and Fly!2 on my little desktop but they wouldn't run. The processor was capable but the graphics card wasn't. I decided to get a more capable machine and opted for a Xeon workstation after a very favourable comparison on a gaming site. So I am set up now with an 8 core / 16 processor Xeom with 16gb memory (shortly going to 32gb) and I run X-Plane11 maxed out at 48fps or so. I haven't tried any really detailed scenery yet so that will probably slow things up a bit.

I have also fired up Fly!2 and that runs very well indeed. I don't think I will bother too much with Fly!2 though as there is more than enough to learn in X-Plane for now and developing scenery appears to be far easier than with Fly!2. I guess a TerraScene image could be used instead of an orthophoto - something to try once I learn to fly the sim!

Colin

Hi Colin,

Sounds like a great system.  I built a couple of Xeon systems over the years to edit broadcast video, though I haven't found that type of setup necessary to run FSX fairly well.  I do need to replace my video card with a far better nVidia unit, though I'm currently being held hostage by the needs of my home office system for a particular video editing program.  I'll be dumping it shortly for a different app which can work well with regular game-capable cards.  (then I'll just need to raise the funds) 😂

I did look at X-Plane a little, though it seemed the high end capabilities of FSX and some of the independent developers were more to my liking.

Randall Rocke