Sign in to follow this  
Ephedrin

B777 Ground Steering

Hi all,

after the latest incident with an Korean Air Boeing 777-300 in Narita, Tokyo, I was curious about the techniques that are involved into the main landing gear and searched the net a bit.. I found a pretty cool clip showing the ground steering system operating and I'd like to share it with you... we seldomly see it that close.

• Upvote 2

On 7/1/2018 at 7:28 PM, Ephedrin said:

Hi all,

after the latest incident with an Korean Air Boeing 777-300 in Narita, Tokyo, I was curious about the techniques that are involved into the main landing gear and searched the net a bit.. I found a pretty cool clip showing the ground steering system operating and I'd like to share it with you... we seldomly see it that close.

I have flown the airplane a few times with the system inop. We couldn’t feel any difference from the flight deck at all, perhaps due to the sheer size of the airplane. The system did work quite nicely to reduce tyre scrubbing in tight turns. 

Talking about the Korean Air landing, I always wonder what did it feel like as a economy class passenger when a landing is hard enough to break a 777 landing gear.

I had one which I thought it would almost give me a lower back injury when sitting on the jump seat a long time ago, and it was only 6ft / second sink rate at touch down. The limit for hard landing inspection was somewhere around 8ft / sec.

49 minutes ago, Driverab330 said:

I always wonder what did it feel like as a economy class passenger when a landing is hard enough to break a 777 landing gear.

That is what I wondered about... this one passenger telling that the airplane was going sideways after landing, but nobody complaining about a hard landing... I once landed with a North West DC10 in KMSP sitting right behind the wings... the approach was pretty bumpy and the landing felt extremely hard, but the same day, we flew from Minneapolis to Grand Forks, North Dakota with a DC9. THIS landing was (felt) even harder, yeah, te weather was really not good at all.. No idea what else is needed to brake a landing gear. But there is a video on yt about that Korean Air landing and from the outside it doesn‘t look that bad... but I haven‘t followed any further reports about that broken gear, I was rather curious about the gear of the 777 in general.

8 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

No idea what else is needed to brake a landing gear. But there is a video on yt about that Korean Air landing and from the outside it doesn‘t look that bad...

May be one of those strange things where sometimes the slightest impact can break things/cause all sorts of damage if the planets align in a certain way and the contact is at just the right angle, whereas a full-blooded square-on contact may result in no damage at all. Used to see it all the time in my days racing R/C touring cars - at times it was possible to have the most tremendous crash and emerge with the car unscathed, but another time just clipping a barrier slightly wrong could easily snap a wishbone etc with the most innocuous of touches and I imagine aeroplanes are as vulnerable to this sort of quirk as any mechanical object, no matter how well-designed! 

Haneda is notorious for windshear and it certainly looked a handful in the last few feet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skelsey said:

May be one of those strange things where sometimes the slightest impact can break things/cause all sorts of damage if the planets align in a certain way and the contact is at just the right angle, whereas a full-blooded square-on contact may result in no damage at all. Used to see it all the time in my days racing R/C touring cars - at times it was possible to have the most tremendous crash and emerge with the car unscathed, but another time just clipping a barrier slightly wrong could easily snap a wishbone etc with the most innocuous of touches and I imagine aeroplanes are as vulnerable to this sort of quirk as any mechanical object, no matter how well-designed! 

Haneda is notorious for windshear and it certainly looked a handful in the last few feet.

Yes Haneda runway 34L is extremely bad for a easterly x wind. Other runways seems to be ok and not as bad as Narita.

In Narita, it can catch people out even if the wx looks gorgeous, because the wind shift commonly occurs below 500ft. So in winter time you will see a 40-50kts x wind all the way down to 1000ft then it reduces to 30kts down to 500ft. At 100-200ft it goes to wind calm on the ground.

In fact the two tokyo airports are famous for its low level wind shear. not so much in KIX and NGO. Even Sapporo is generally not too bad. 

• Like 1