Sign in to follow this  
dbw1

QW787 in 4.3

I have to echo Jim's comments on 4.3 and the 787. It is also one of my favorites to fly. I can't recall the thread but one of the posters was a RW 787 pilot and he said the sim version has fewer procedural errors than the real thing. he said one of the main things they learn is how to work around minor system errors.

Vic

• Like 3

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

9 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I have to echo Jim's comments on 4.3 and the 787. It is also one of my favorites to fly. I can't recall the thread but one of the posters was a RW 787 pilot and he said the sim version has fewer procedural errors than the real thing. he said one of the main things they learn is how to work around minor system errors.

Vic

At my airline we have the 787.. And the engine issue, there's a Iove hate affair with it.  Alas I love flying the qw 787.

One of my best mates  works for a well known cargo airline, they are making an absolute bomb from flying Rolls Royce engines to and from seattle for operators having issues with them. At a few million each per commitment 

I also did chuckle yesterday  seeing BA are using air Belgium 🇧🇪 to operate their Cairo service due to 787 issues...( Love a dig at BA obviously)  Walsh still owes us a million quid. I love seeing them in the pokey 

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

Here is one more of my favorite things the 787 can do all the other Boeings can't (well maybe the 748 and MAX...but we don't have those in flightsim yet).

If you're like me....getting the dreaded "Vectors" off a SID and the 1st waypoint is completely misaligned with your runway heading makes you go "UGH...I have to MANUALLY turn a heading knob to get to that 1st waypoint?"  Now I know you can "Direct to" by dropping the 1st waypoint in LSK 1, but that is so yesterday.

A better way to do it is by adding custom waypoints directly on the PLAN mode screen!

In the example below, I had VECTORS to JURNY, which is 90 deg off the runway heading.

Here is how to do it:

Once in PLAN mode, click the blue PICK WPT button and move your cursor to where you want your 1st waypoint...I always do mine a few miles straight off the centerline so I can easily hit LNAV if I'm feeling really lazy.

This drops the LAT/LONG right in the scratchpad window.  Then just put it in LSK 1 and you're set.  Add as many as you want to make a smooth turn, and you're one button press (LNAV) off departure for making a nice, gradual turn to your 1st SID waypoint.

You can do this at arrival too if it just dumps you into VECTORS.

DqK9tF.jpg

Of course, this is for mostly flying offline...when with real controllers, they're usually giving your vectors anyway so you have to either hand fly (not a bad thing mind you) or turn that ugly heading knob!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

12 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I doubt you will see 4.3 taking up any more resources.  I thought 4.1 was buggy as heck and was glad when they updated. But, you paid for 4.0 and I would take all the updates I can before they release the 5.0 version. 

Would you recommend a Client only upgrade, or Client plus Content. Bearing in mind I'm going 4.1 to 4.3?

Scenery I wouldn't do anyway, since I have Orbx over the entire planet.

Regards

David

1 hour ago, charlie130 said:

Would you recommend a Client only upgrade, or Client plus Content. Bearing in mind I'm going 4.1 to 4.3?

That's what Lockheed recommends.  Upgrade just Client.  That's all I upgrade as the changes in Content or Scenery are very minor.  I would save upgrading to Content only when you have to reinstall Windows 10 (where you have to reinstall Orbx/FTX stuff too).  If you do not install Content though, I believe the only major impact would be the addition of the C130.  Personally, if I had FTX Global, I would upgrade Content (after uninstalling first and uninstalling FTX Global, install Content 4.3, and then reinstall FTX Global.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

10 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

That's what Lockheed recommends.  Upgrade just Client.  That's all I upgrade as the changes in Content or Scenery are very minor.  I would save upgrading to Content only when you have to reinstall Windows 10 (where you have to reinstall Orbx/FTX stuff too).  If you do not install Content though, I believe the only major impact would be the addition of the C130.  Personally, if I had FTX Global, I would upgrade Content (after uninstalling first and uninstalling FTX Global, install Content 4.3, and then reinstall FTX Global.

Thanks Jim, will have a go today. 

Regards

David

3 hours ago, charlie130 said:

Thanks Jim, will have a go today. 

Regards

David

I think if you want the C-130 you have Todo content.  I upgraded both this time around and didn't have any issues.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Are the textures on this airplane bad? That's what it kinda looks like from the pictures. 

I can't get the nosewheel steering to work properly with my rudder pedals. No matter what I do in fsuipc, the nose wheel turns opposite of the way it should. Anyone else seeing this?

Russ

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

20 hours ago, tooting said:

At my airline we have the 787.. And the engine issue, there's a Iove hate affair with it.  Alas I love flying the qw 787.

One of my best mates  works for a well known cargo airline, they are making an absolute bomb from flying Rolls Royce engines to and from seattle for operators having issues with them. At a few million each per commitment 

I also did chuckle yesterday  seeing BA are using air Belgium 🇧🇪 to operate their Cairo service due to 787 issues...( Love a dig at BA obviously)  Walsh still owes us a million quid. I love seeing them in the pokey 

If I ever make it to London you gotta hook me up with a tour of the VS OCC if you allowed to.

Eric 

23 hours ago, American 833 Heavy said:

Emil, has there been any discussion at QW about working with Mark Foti who developed RemoteCDU (https://flightsimapps.com/) which currently works with PMDG (747,777, NGX), Aersoft CRJ, TFDI 717 and the Fly the Maddog? He posted that he is sold on the idea but suggested we reach out to you guys as well. Would be really really nice to have the QW 787 FMC on a tablet. 

Eric 

2 hours ago, Mitch24 said:

Are the textures on this airplane bad? That's what it kinda looks like from the pictures. 

Quite the contrary....the textures are excellent, and on a 55 inch 4k monitor, stunning.   Hard to capture in a jpeg compressed screenshot.

Here is a closeup i took that shows the detail on the MCP...on my big screen it looks about as good as it can...not sure how it looks on smaller monitors.

(Hover over or click the link to see it full screen)

6K1k5E.jpg

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

If I ever make it to London you gotta hook me up with a tour of the VS OCC if you allowed to.

Sure it's quite small it won't take long. But the canteen is better than waterside, and our girls are half the age of those old broods in waterside too (any opportunities to have a dig) 

14ppkc-6.png

52 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Quite the contrary....the textures are excellent, and on a 55 inch 4k monitor, stunning.   Hard to capture in a jpeg compressed screenshot.

Here is a closeup i took that shows the detail on the MCP...on my big screen it looks about as good as it can...not sure how it looks on smaller monitors.

(Hover over or click the link to see it full screen)

6K1k5E.jpg

Thanks. What about external textures?

11 minutes ago, Mitch24 said:

Thanks. What about external textures?

Here is a link to a post I just did in the screenshot forum>

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/541422-nwa-787-walkaround/

The externals are outstanding...the sounds are outstanding, the plane is just good IMO.

I painted the NWA bowling shoe for the QW crew as a few really liked the livery (Kyle in particular)

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg