Sign in to follow this  
hqmurphy

Why are there no long-range biz jets?

The title says it all, really. I’m curious - as a platform (P3D) for both enthusiasts and trainees, why would the market lack business jets as much as it does? Short of Carenado, there are almost no (quality) business jets (I’m aware of the Lear’s). And there are even fewer mid/heavy biz jets that can go the distance.

Obviously ‘supply and demand’ is an easy answer to this question, but I can’t be the only one who wants quality biz jets? With the ease to make your own routes and link unusual but interesting cities together without being unrealistic, surely this appeals to others?

why do developers shy away from biz jets in p3d? Demand? Trademark issues?

let me know your thoughts

There are a couple of Falcon 50's in the hanger that should be released by Flysimware and Carenado, and a Challenger 605 with a range of 4,598 Miles by Eaglesoft are the only ones I'm familiar with. Not sure when  the Challenger 605 will be released, that one might be awhile?

Cheers

Martin

There is the Eaglesoft Citation X but it is only released for P3Dv3 and FSX.

Ted

Edited by Ted Striker

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

5 minutes ago, MartinRex007 said:

There are a couple of Falcon 50's in the hanger that should be released by Flysimware and Carenado, and a Challenger 605 with a range of 4,598 Miles by Eaglesoft are the only ones I'm familiar with. Not sure when  the Challenger 605 will be released, that one might be awhile?

Cheers

Martin

I’ve seen those projects as well. Just haven’t heard a thing from them as of late. If anyone had insight on these developments, please share.

I wish someone would do a proper Bombardier Global Express XRS. That really is a great airplane. I've always wondered why there was not a proper long haul bird on the market really ever myself. I spend more of my time doing biz jet stuff on the sim than not. I will say though, you can stretch the 737 as a BBJ pretty well. I have no problem doing Switzerland to New York with the 737-700 and landing with around 8 or 9,000 pounds of fuel most of the time winds permitting and I did FXE to EIDW a few weeks ago with my 800BBJ and landed with around 9.4 fuel remaining and would have landed with more gas if I stepped up to the low 40's and dialed back to .78 instead of doing .80 all of the way.  I'd love to have something that could do south of France or Switzerland to Miami and  Tampa myself though. 

Political comments will be removed so please keep this topic on topic.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

In the past I have seen that no Gulfstream was ever made because Gulfstream would not allow one to be made for a flight sim.

13 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Political comments will be removed so please keep this topic on topic.

Thank you, Jim.

I know gulfstream has strict lincensing but that can’t be the case for the other 90% of the bizjet community.

could you imagine if one of the revered airliner developers gave a go at a private jet? How fun would that be. I bet loads of people would buy it for the sheer fact that their hangar lacks that equipment.

also, who doesn’t like a nice private jet??

I am the kind of guy who likes flying bizjet more than the big airlines. I like the fact that with a bizjet I can land and takeoff from the smaller airports.

• Like 1

I really wish Flight1 would upgrade their Citation Mustang. After they released the King Air i expected it would follow soon after but alas nothing...Prepar3d is sorely missing a modern bizjet (and by modern i mean 1980s forward). 

5 hours ago, Captain Campion said:

Prepar3d is sorely missing a modern bizjet (and by modern i mean 1980s forward). 

Um....there are literally loads of modern business jets available for Prepar3d (including v4). I've no idea what you are talking about.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

The title of this post should be why are there no Recent / New Biz-Jets released for P3D in the last 3 years.

Regards
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Could it possibly be because...…..

1.  Most developers...despite what a lot of flight sim enthusiasts think...are not large corporations with dozens of people working on a project.  On the contrary, many developers are just a one-person enterprise, or at best a small group (2 or 3) that make the scenery, airplanes, and other addons we use.  And heaven forbid...they work out of their homes when they don't have to do their real-world jobs to survive.  And this even applies to what we think of as large companies, like an ORBX for instance.  The people "at ORBX" making the addon airports are usually a "one person" developer, and we get the products through ORBX when the single developer gets around to finishing them.  

2.  And the current nature of P3D and it's continual updates just adds to the problem.  Almost every time P3D gets updated, an "old" addon will need to be updated for it to continue to work.  This puts small 1 or 2 or 3 person "companies" in a tough position.  They HAVE to update the product to keep the community happy, but heaven forbid if they want to CHARGE previous purchasers an upgrade price.  The community thinks developers should work for free to provide the updates. Ask any successful business leader how rational that kind of expectation is for any "company" as a business model.  A business can get around that kind of customer based thinking, but only if the customer base will believe, "It's FREE.....JUST PAY SHIPPING AND HANDLING" (which is a very successful marketing strategy today).

3.  With both of the above, I honestly don't see many developers putting in the time and effort to create an airplane that would take them 6 or more months to make, then need to be free-updated in the near future again. It's simply not cost effective for them. Heck, many of what are considered the "best" airport developers today can't update their own airports in a timely manner and stay profitable.

Now (and this is most likely going to upset some people here), there is another side to this story.  If a person is going to represent themselves as a "company", the community SHOULD expect company-level service from them.  Case in point...the current situation with a well known reseller of products we all use.  Yes, I have empathy for anyone who may be experiencing personal or family related issues that may not be able to allow them to provide the level of service they have previously provided their customers, and the customers have come to expect.  But that should NEVER mean that "The Company" continues to sell products, take the customer's money, then not allow the customer to get the product after purchase, with no public explanation to the customer base.  People who have been promised "exceptional service" and have supported "The Company" with their purchases ('money") in the past should NEVER have to experience the kind of things that are happening with a particular reseller at this time.  Sorry, but if you are going to be a "business", you should NEVER have what's called "A Single Point of Failure" when it concerns your CUSTOMER base.  That is totally unacceptable.  And many "one-man" businesses have learned that the hard way when they went bankrupt after previous customers said "Never Again" as far as making purchases from them.

Edited by FalconAF

Rick Ryan