I am currently looking for a new joystick. Now I have a Thrustmaster T.16000M and the twist grip rudder is not working anymore (it's permanently stuck in the left position). I fly a little bit of everything from military jets to helicopters to airlines, to GA planes. I have seen the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog flight stick, but I don't want to spend that kind of money for a joystick (it's way to expensive for me). What would you recommend?

Edit: I have a rather small desk so I don't really have the room for a joystick with a separate throttle.

Edited by Joseph29

1 hour ago, Joseph29 said:

What would you recommend?

A bigger desk, and the warthog. It’s the best there is for a Hotas system, and uses hall sensors ( magnets) rather than pots.

....otherwise you could look at the thrustmaster T-flight. Pick them up for about £50 new. 

Luke Pype

Logitech's Extreme 3D Pro is a fine joystick with 13 programmable buttons, a throttle lever, and twist grip...  and it has a relatively small footprint.  Been using one for many years, and it just keeps on going.  There are lots of choices out there, but for me, the Logitech has been a winner.

• Like 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Micosoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. Out of production for some years now but still available on eBay for usually a lot less than $100 for a good example. Excellent build quality, very solid/heavy and no chance of the centring spring weakening as it's centred by motors. Team it up with FS Force software and the feedback forces are very effective (much better than default) plus you get ”real" stick trim - when you adjust the trim, the stick datum actually moves. You can use different profiles for different aircraft and they are all fully customisable. See: http://www.fs-force.com

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Although, as I stated above, I'm currently using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, I'd like to give a big shout-out for the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 as well, which I used exclusively until it died many years ago.  Only issue with it is desktop space, which the OP mentions is limited.  The Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 has a fairly large footprint, but other than that, a terrific joystick.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

11 hours ago, dmiannay said:

The Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 has a fairly large footprint

True. The base is about 26cm x 23cm.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 7/8/2018 at 1:20 PM, dmiannay said:

I'd like to give a big shout-out for the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 as well, which I used exclusively until

Thank heavens mine has lasted the course. Bought during FS98 days, or was it FS2000? Can't quite remember, but has lasted well.

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2  - Some company really needs to come out with something similar nowadays.

18 hours ago, VeryBumpy said:

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2  - Some company really needs to come out with something similar nowadays.

+1

Doug Miannay

+2.

Love my Sidewinder Force Feedback 2.

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4

21 hours ago, vc10man said:

Thank heavens mine has lasted the course. Bought during FS98 days, or was it FS2000? Can't quite remember, but has lasted well.

Just shows the quality of construction and reliability, especially when you consider the forces being generated by it!

20 hours ago, VeryBumpy said:

I couldn't agree more. I'm surprised that FFB joysticks (not yokes, that's a different, expensive story) are not much more popular in the flight sim world - perhaps it's just lack of availability (although they regularly appear on eBay). People always seem to be searching for more realism and immersion and a FFB joystick offers both at a very reasonable cost. I'm constantly surprised that someone is prepared to pay 2-3 times the price of a decent FFB joystick for something which is essentially dead as far as feedback goes - the centring spring is always going to feel the same whether the speed is high or low, you're about to stall or you carry out a heavy landing.

Racing sims are another hobby of mine - more so recently as (shock, horror) I'm getting a bit bored with flight simming! No one in that community wants a non-FFB wheel and, as a result, there's plenty to choose from depending on your budget.

2 hours ago, vortex681 said:

forces being generated by it

Don't use FF as more often than not, I have had issues of the AP disconnecting when using the force feedback with PMDG aircraft and others too, But in non-FF-----not having seen the point in investing in Dirk's FF FSX utility----it works brilliantly.

2 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Don't use FF as more often than not, I have had issues of the AP disconnecting when using the force feedback with PMDG aircraft and others too, But in non-FF-----not having seen the point in investing in Dirk's FF FSX utility----it works brilliantly.

I don't have any PMDG aircraft so can't comment on those, but haven't experienced any problems with any of the aircraft I have, free or payware. You're definitely missing out if you have an MS FFB2 and don't have Dirk's FS Force app. It really does transform the feedback when compared to the default FSX forces (which I felt were rubbish). The app may seem expensive at first sight but the difference it makes is well worth the money. It comes with a number of ready-made profiles for different types of aircraft but all of the forces are fully customisable.

2 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

I don't have any PMDG aircraft so can't comment on those, but haven't experienced any problems with any of the aircraft I have, free or payware. You're definitely missing out if you have an MS FFB2 and don't have Dirk's FS Force app. It really does transform the feedback when compared to the default FSX forces (which I felt were rubbish). The app may seem expensive at first sight but the difference it makes is well worth the money. It comes with a number of ready-made profiles for different types of aircraft but all of the forces are fully customisable.

You may have just swayed me to get Dirk's FS Force. Thanks.

Need some help please.

Have a Logic 3 USB joystick on another PC loaded with latest P3D 4.3. Yet cannot get the slider to operate the throttle on any aircraft. I must admit I have been out of touch of any sim for nigh on 6-7 months, so am out of touch. Any idea how to set the Logic 3 joystick slider to operate the throttle rather than using F3?

Thanks.