Sign in to follow this  
Frequent_Flyer

Improvements in V4.3

33 minutes ago, Avidean said:

Those of you who experienced performance and visual improvement, did you do an objective tested side by side comparison with clearly defined datum or is it just your subjective opinion that V4.3 has self-evident performance and visual improvement over V4.2?

I've tested V4.3 against V4.2 on my system as per above and found no self-evident performance and visual improvement over V4.2. However there are welcome improvements in V4.3 over 4.2 and since it is very easy to upgrade I would recommend it.

And if you haven't already done so why not take the opportunity to make your own objective comparison on your own system. It's easy!

First update your system to the latest Nvidia driver and set NCP to prefer max performance. Then just make a short flight and record it using the sims built in recorder. Play it back without moving the point of view and make a video of it using shadowplay showing the FPS counter. Make a copy of your .cfg

Then update to V4.3 using the client, content and scenery files exactly as LM instructions. Follow Poppets guide to put your ORBX scenery in order:

Delete your shaders and make sure your .cfg is identical to the backup you made of the 4.2 .cfg

Launch the sim and play back the recording you made in 4.2 a couple of time to rebuild to the shaders. Restart the sim then play back the recording and again without moving the point of view make a video of the recording with shadowplay. Move the shadowplay FPS counter to the opposite corner so that when you play back the videos side by side its easy to see any variance.

You can use VLC to play the videos side by side so you can make a direct comparison between V4.2 and v4.3

To synchronize the videos us the play/pause button rapidly on the video that ahead until the one behind catches up. You should be able to synchronize to within at most a half second.

You can even make a video of the side by side playbacks and share your results if you care too.

It's a simple process and if you upgrade without doing it one of two things could happen. Either you will see no improvement and wonder why others did and think that perhaps your system is inadequate or that there is something wrong with you. In either case you will be in the dark. Or you will just find yourself seeing what perhaps is not there and sing along with the chorus. In this case you are in the dark too.

If you make an objective comparison you can make an objective decision an to which version you prefer. And believe me switching between V4.2 and version V.3 or visa versa takes 15mins once you are practiced at it. That;s a small price to pay for not having to take someone else word for it.

Why do u act threatened by people seeing increased performance with the upgrade to 4.3?  Here was my testing.  

4.2- PMDG aircraft at night at FB KMSP.    Parked at gate.  All systems powered up.  All exterior lights on. 22-26 FPS

4.3- Same scenario.  Client update only.  No setting changes.  Same configuration.  Steady 30 FPS

Call this my subjective opinion if u would like.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

1 hour ago, nealmac said:

Those of you who have experienced significant performance improvements, have you done a client update, or did you bite the bullet and do a full install?

Client only.  Same settings and configuration file

Matt Wilson

2 hours ago, Avidean said:

I've tested V4.3 against V4.2 on my system as per above and found no self-evident performance and visual improvement over V4.2. However there are welcome improvements in V4.3 over 4.2 and since it is very easy to upgrade I would recommend it.

What is your hardware setup?

5 minutes ago, fueliehead said:

What is your hardware setup?

i7 4770k @ 4.8ghz, GTX 980ti, 16gb 2400mhz CL9-11-11-11

2 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Why do u act threatened by people seeing increased performance with the upgrade to 4.3?  Here was my testing.  

4.2- PMDG aircraft at night at FB KMSP.    Parked at gate.  All systems powered up.  All exterior lights on. 22-26 FPS

4.3- Same scenario.  Client update only.  No setting changes.  Same configuration.  Steady 30 FPS

Call this my subjective opinion if u would like.  

I did test it the same way. Good enough for me. I always had problems (13-15 fps) on YSSY landing approach at night (DL on, 4xSSAA) no matter what other settings I changed. Now with 4.3 I get 18-20 fps, that is what counts for me.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I do concur with others that the sim is smoother and DL now doesn't reduce my FPS that much. It was a lot worse before. One thing that has also changed for me is that it takes longer to load the scenery, but that's a reasonable price to pay in view of the improvements.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DJJose said:

For me, absolutely! I now have a smoother sim and better fps with DL enabled.

Give it a try. Only you can judge for yourself. Some simmers saw an improvement while some did not.

+1 DL much improved and good FPS now when enabled.

Also fixed is the message text box. It was so annoying to see the atis scrolling because every time I loaded the sim I had to untick it.😀

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

2 hours ago, Avidean said:

Those of you who experienced performance and visual improvement, did you do an objective tested side by side comparison with clearly defined datum or is it just your subjective opinion that V4.3 has self-evident performance and visual improvement over V4.2?

And if you haven't already done so why not take the opportunity to make your own objective comparison on your own system. It's easy!

First update your system to the latest Nvidia driver and set NCP to prefer max performance. Then just make a short flight and record it using the sims built in recorder. Play it back without moving the point of view and make a video of it using shadowplay showing the FPS counter. Make a copy of your .cfg

Then update to V4.3 using the client, content and scenery files exactly as LM instructions. Follow Poppets guide to put your ORBX scenery in order:

Delete your shaders and make sure your .cfg is identical to the backup you made of the 4.2 .cfg

Launch the sim and play back the recording you made in 4.2 a couple of time to rebuild to the shaders. Restart the sim then play back the recording and again without moving the point of view make a video of the recording with shadowplay. Move the shadowplay FPS counter to the opposite corner so that when you play back the videos side by side its easy to see any variance.

You can use VLC to play the videos side by side so you can make a direct comparison between V4.2 and v4.3

To synchronize the videos us the play/pause button rapidly on the video that ahead until the one behind catches up. You should be able to synchronize to within at most a half second.

You can even make a video of the side by side playbacks and share your results if you care too.

It's a simple process and if you upgrade without doing it one of two things could happen. Either you will see no improvement and wonder why others did and think that perhaps your system is inadequate or that there is something wrong with you. In either case you will be in the dark. Or you will just find yourself seeing what perhaps is not there and sing along with the chorus. In this case you are in the dark too.

If you make an objective comparison you can make an objective decision an to which version you prefer. And believe me switching between V4.2 and version V.3 or visa versa takes 15mins once you are practiced at it. That;s a small price to pay for not having to take someone else word for it.

Well after loading the 4.3 Client and refresh of shader files and .cfg I started the sim and went flying. Since I liked the feel of it and the fact that LM said they made some minor tweaks to performance and I have no reason to suspect them of lying I just keep flying it. Worse case is that it performs as good as 4.2. Best case is that it may be a slight improvement. The Subjective opinion that I have is about as close as you will find. We are talking about Thousands of different computers with millions of different set ups not to mention the fact that everytime you start you computer it can easily have been modified ever so slightly when you checked email or down loaded that file from orbx. The very best anyone can give you is their opinion. Computer systems are like snow flakes. Help conserve bandwith so we can give it to the poor. If someone says it's better be happy for them. If someone says a release blew up their computer then investigate before down loading!

Edited by shivers9
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Downloaded and installed the full version 4.3. Guess what, the ATC Window  grey out bug is still there. I am very unhappy. Any ideas on how to fix this, please?

Johann Olivier

So seemingly a lot of the people who have seen a significant improvement in performance did a client update only. This is good news. I was toying with the idea of doing a full reinstall, but the thought of downloading AND installing all my add-ons again doesn't excite me all that much.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

1 hour ago, nealmac said:

So seemingly a lot of the people who have seen a significant improvement in performance did a client update only. This is good news. I was toying with the idea of doing a full reinstall, but the thought of downloading AND installing all my add-ons again doesn't excite me all that much.

Do not worry too much. I did a full uninstall/upgrade and it it took no longer than an extended evening to get 90% of my add-ons in place again.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I did Client Scenery & Content updates to 4.2 and have great performance upgrades!

21 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Do not worry too much. I did a full uninstall/upgrade and it it took no longer than an extended evening to get 90% of my add-ons in place again.

I updated Client/Scenery/Content and I had no problems with my addons whatsoever. I don't understand why it's such a big deal.

Maikel van der Heijden

2 hours ago, nealmac said:

So seemingly a lot of the people who have seen a significant improvement in performance did a client update only.

I don't know the statistics, you may be right, but what I do know is I did both Client and Content reinstall and I am 100% positive that I can also see performance boost.