Sign in to follow this  
jmdriskell

FSX Recommendations Please

I recently installed a new system HD in my box and did a clean install of Windows 10 64 bit home edition.  I'm now ready to reinstall FSX Acceleration on the SSD that previously held it.  I had a collection of scenery odds and ends in my previous FSX installation but I'm looking for recommendations for this new install.

My old install had the following:

Active Sky 2016

Aerosofts - Approaching Innsbruck

FlightBeam Denver, San Francisco, Dullas

Lots of FSGenesis covering most of the world

KSEA - T2G

PrecipitFX

SteveFX DX10 Scenery Fixer

Ultimate Terrain X - Europe & USA

Orbex FTX PNW

And a smattering of other stuff.

I'd like recommendations for the above or suggestions for a new direction.  I fly primary PMDG aircraft. 

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

While I am starting over, like you, my preferences while simming are different than yours - yet that brings clarity on some issues we both have. Here's my take for what it's worth.

Your stated preference is big iron - which means you're not going to need much in the way of small field airports.

- Ultimate Terrain X - Europe & USA and Orbx FTX PNW bascially have you covered big picture-wise. Your FSGenesis mesh coverage should serve you well in the same manner - but I wouldn't add any more for places I didn't intend to fly.

- Your listing of airport scenery you do have (Innsbruck, Denver, San Francisco, Dullas[is that Dulles or Dallas?], KSEA) suggests you might be best served by concentrating on those other BIG airports that you might fly into.

- From this point forward, if I were you, I'd only add big airport stuff I flew into until I noticed any "holes" that bothered me. Then I'd think about it - first looking for a "freeware fix" and then, if that almost but not quite "filled the hole but I was still bothered", only then would I look for a payware fix for that very specific  issue. I can't be more specific than that as what bothers you might not bother me.

Perspective-wise, I am a low-flying, VFR, GA guy with 95% of my flights in the US. So, I went with ActiveSky, REX soft clouds, FSGenesis mesh covering North America, Orbx Global Base, Vector, and lc_North America (~equiv to UTX) to start. I'm filling in "holes" as they arise as on each flight I take (that is, I decide where to fly, download & install specific freeware scenery(ies) for that flight, and then go fly). At the end of each flight, I note what bothered me, that is what "holes" (still) need(ed) filling and wrap up my flight simming session by going after sceneries for those specific "holes" - takes maybe 5 additional minutes at the end of a sim session.

I also installed >45 WOAI traffic packages and the Orbx GA traffic pack. (I like lots of traffic, my GA sliders are >80% but I only really worried about ~15 "key/major" WOAI airline collections and only installed them just in case I fly into a BIG or Regional airport so it's not empty.) YMMV on this, but I'd hate to have big airports empty or seemingly empty if I was flying big iron into HUB/international travel airports.

Way too much verbiage including too many vagueries...sorry.

Hopefully some of it helped.

I strongly recommend going with the FSX Steam Edition.  It's Acceleration, only with several important updates which results in better performance.  You can usually pick it up on Steam for about $5 USD.

Best wishes.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I second Dave's FSX:SE recommendation if you plan on sticking with FSX.  Much better performance.

Richard P. Kelly

thanks for your recommendations but I think I'll stick with FSX for the time being.  I'm comfortable with it, know it and my box seems to run well with it.  I guess I'm waiting for the 64 bit version of P3v to come out.

A bit too vague, OP.

I'm not sure I understand what 'recommendations' you are looking for? Install sequence or tips? New addons? What?

1 hour ago, jmdriskell said:

.  I guess I'm waiting for the 64 bit version of P3v to come out.

I run FSX:SE and would also recommend it but isn’t the P3D 64-bit already out - quite some time ago? Sorry if I’ve misunderstood.

Back to subject - you’re choices look good but I’d add SIMStarterNG as a tool to help you keep everything lean and clean.

Best regards

Rupert

6 hours ago, jmdriskell said:

I guess I'm waiting for the 64 bit version of P3v to come out.

Sorry, what?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

On 7/6/2018 at 11:51 AM, jmdriskell said:

I guess I'm waiting for the 64 bit version of P3v to come out.

Say what? P3Dv4 (64-bit) has been available for quite a while now.....  https://prepar3d.com/  As far as your original post goes, if you like it keep it.....if not don't reinstall it.........Doug

Edited by W2DR

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

If you wish to live with the limitations of a 32-bit program, I highly recommend buying FSX-Steam Edition.  It fixed some issues with the boxed version of FSX-Acceleration and handles the RAM limitations of 32-bit software better than the boxed versions of FSX.

A far more modern version of FSX is Prepar3D version 4.  This software is more expensive than FSX-Steam Edition, but it is a 64-bit program and that really helps to eliminate RAM issues so long as you have enough RAM.  The only downside to P3Dv4 is that FSX add-on's that used .dll gauges or files or gauges that were originally made for FS98 will not work in a 64-bit environment.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Ok, thanks for everybody's recommendations.  However, I'm going to stick with FSX for the time being.  I'm familiar with it and enjoy the  realistic flight planning that I can do with my addons. 

OK, so I've dumped FSX in favor of FSX-SE.  I have Ultimate Terrain and FS Genesis.  I guess I can install these packages in FSX-SE but can someone recommend a better solution for enhancing the overall view of the ground?

Thanks in advance,

Jim Driskell

I use Ultimate Terrain X and Ground Environment X and I have been quite pleased with how it corrects a lot of terrain errors in FSX.  Others prefer Orbx's suite of terrain and texture add-ons.  Which one is better I think depends upon who you ask.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

On 8/17/2018 at 1:09 AM, jmdriskell said:

OK, so I've dumped FSX in favor of FSX-SE.  I have Ultimate Terrain and FS Genesis.  I guess I can install these packages in FSX-SE but can someone recommend a better solution for enhancing the overall view of the ground?

Depends on what you want really, and what you want to spend. Some solutions can tax the capabilities of even very powerful computers, and with FSX being 32 bit, there is always the possibility of too much stuff causing the program to bomb.

Ultimate Terrain is a comparatively inexpensive fix which does a lot for the sim visually in comparison to the default terrain, but for areas you know well, you might want to go with some photorealistic terrain, particularly ones which have customised autogen plonked on top of them. Examples of that which spring to mind are VFR France's Ile de France and Just Flight's VFR UK scenery with Revolution X autogen added over the top of it. They can be a bit hard on FPS, but if your computer can handle them, then they do improve the looks considerably.

A more frame-rate friendly solution is Orbx sceneries, which are not photorealistic, but could almost fool you into thinking they were as they are pretty accurate generic portrayals of areas. Some of them are a bit 'chocolate boxy' in appearance, for example, the UK scenery from Orbx is a bit like a fairy tale version of what people think England looks like, rather than what it actually does look like, but having said that, it is still a visually pleasing effect.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here