Sign in to follow this  
scot619

Stutters and FPS drops

So I have this annoying problem at most major airports, my FPS drops to about 11-16 when I pan around and get occasional stutters. Ive tried everything to get a smooth running game to no avail. Ive tried NVI changed Nvidia Settings and even tweaked the P3D.cfg. I get stutters and loss of fps that ruin the simulation experience. I also see ai traffic show up as silver textures almost like the aircraft is unpainted for a few seconds then their liveries show.

Could anyone help me? are my specs outdated? any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance🙂

P.S I play all games with the highest graphics settings possible

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Intel i7 3960x @3.30 12 Logical processors

Titan Black 6GB Vram (Latest drivers 397.93)

16 GB RAM

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Samsung SA950 60-120HZ

Add ons:

Spoiler

Intel i7 3960x @3.30 12 Logical processors

Titan Black 6GB Vram (Latest drivers 397.93)

16 GB RAM

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Samsung SA950 60-120HZ

note: stutters happen everywhere not just in payware addon scenery.

P3D.CFG

Spoiler

Texture filtering = 1

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=160

MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=1

AffinityMask=1364

UseGlobalTerrainView=True

Nvidia Settings:

Spoiler

FPS limiter: 29.5

Vsync = 1/2 (my monitor refresh rate is 60 HZ)

Vsync tear control = adaptive

TB = True

Power Management mode = Prefer Max Performance

You monitor, and more importantly,  the resolution at which it is running is critical information.

Hi,

Can you post what your P3D settings are as well?

I'm not as knowledgeable as the others, but that would be a good place to start. Also, your CPU is a limiting factor, as P3D is mostly CPU bound, which means most of the heavy lifting for the visuals are dependent on it, rather than the video card. Consequently, a higher clock speed is crucial.

Hello, I had similar problems upgrading to 4.3 from 4.2  I updated client, content & scenery.   I lost significant  FPS after the update.   Played with The shaders and even fiber_frame . . .   To no avail.  However, I found a simple solution that worked like a charm and P3D is now running smoother than ever and got a  20% increase in observed FPS.  The solution for me; backup P3D .cfg, deleted it,  let P3D rebuild it, and reset your graphic settings to your liking.  WORKED!  At least for me.

Joe

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Beta_Tester.jpg

2 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

You monitor, and more importantly,  the resolution at which it is running is critical information.

I play at 1920 * 1080 at 60 HZ (can't go any lower I can go higher 100-120 Hz)

2 hours ago, busdriver said:

Hi,

Can you post what your P3D settings are as well?

I'm not as knowledgeable as the others, but that would be a good place to start. Also, your CPU is a limiting factor, as P3D is mostly CPU bound, which means most of the heavy lifting for the visuals are dependent on it, rather than the video card. Consequently, a higher clock speed is crucial.

Spoiler

MQLhOh.png
5J6Fdr.png
ARFklw.png
jiarIH.png
1dBL0V.png

55 minutes ago, jport1 said:

Hello, I had similar problems upgrading to 4.3 from 4.2  I updated client, content & scenery.   I lost significant  FPS after the update.   Played with The shaders and even fiber_frame . . .   To no avail.  However, I found a simple solution that worked like a charm and P3D is now running smoother than ever and got a  20% increase in observed FPS.  The solution for me; backup P3D .cfg, deleted it,  let P3D rebuild it, and reset your graphic settings to your liking.  WORKED!  At least for me.

Joe

Hey Joe Ill try that I'm desperate at this point lol,

so you think I should just leave the cfg stock as it is and not tamper with it after I delete it and let P3D rebuild it?

Or easier yet, just rename your Prepar3d .cfg in your user (you)/AppData/Roaming/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3d v4 folder and then restart P3D and it will rebuild your configuration file.  Fire up P3D, go to options and reset your graphics settings to your liking. Alternately, just launch P3D without changing your settings,  then, in the sim,  tweak away.  

I was shocked at the change for the better for my system.  Sometimes, I suppose, Occam’s razor proves the best solution. 

Joe

• Like 1

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

As I did not see any of those fabulous performance increases after upgrading to 4.3 (but also no reduced performance), I also let 4.3 rebuild my prepar3d.cfg. And guess what? It did not change anything. I guess it is like always: depending on your rig, on the other Software you use, how you maintain everything and on the tweaks and settings you use inside P3D, you get a better or worse performance after upgrading. Or no change at all. I was not really surprised, as for me, it turned out that a basically untweaked prepar3d.cfg provided the best results in 4.2. So why should a new prepar3d.cfg built by 4.3 change anything? It is basically the same (I almost checked the entire prepar3d.cfg line by line, there is not a lot different between v4.2 and v4.3).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, jport1 said:

Or easier yet, just rename your Prepar3d .cfg in your user (you)/AppData/Roaming/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3d v4 folder and then restart P3D and it will rebuild your configuration file.  Fire up P3D, go to options and reset your graphics settings to your liking. Alternately, just launch P3D without changing your settings,  then, in the sim,  tweak away.  

I was shocked at the change for the better for my system.  Sometimes, I suppose, Occam’s razor proves the best solution. 

Joe

I think that fixed Im getting no stutters my FPS is 18-25 FPS at OMDB which before would drop to 11-13 and even 9! 

Who knew it was that simple I started looking at new graphics cards and CPUs lol. I was like well I guess they’re getting old.

I do need to tweak tho because my AI traffic gets silver textures and then their actual liveries load in so Idk what that is. Thanks Joe it actually worked, cheers captain! 

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

As I did not see any of those fabulous performance increases after upgrading to 4.3 (but also no reduced performance), I also let 4.3 rebuild my prepar3d.cfg. And guess what? It did not change anything. I guess it is like always: depending on your rig, on the other Software you use, how you maintain everything and on the tweaks and settings you use inside P3D, you get a better or worse performance after upgrading. Or no change at all. I was not really surprised, as for me, it turned out that a basically untweaked prepar3d.cfg provided the best results in 4.2. So why should a new prepar3d.cfg built by 4.3 change anything? It is basically the same (I almost checked the entire prepar3d.cfg line by line, there is not a lot different between v4.2 and v4.3).

Yeah it truly does depend on your rig because it worked for me lol. Well tbh I haven’t rebuilt my CFG file since maybe 4.1 so I guess I deserved that lol.

I think everyone needs to use the AffinityMask tweak and assign core processors to P3D and let the other cores run windows background applications and such because it makes the most sense to me. Correct me if im wrong. 

I guess Its trial and error Ill start tweaking and see if its better or worse. 

Edited by scot619

Great, glad it worked for you.  I just did some more tweaking myself but I still am butter smooth and strong FPS with most sliders mid to max . . .  have a great 4th!

• Like 1

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

22 minutes ago, jport1 said:

Great, glad it worked for you.  I just did some more tweaking myself but I still am butter smooth and strong FPS with most sliders mid to max . . .  have a great 4th!

Thanks brother, Happy 4th to you too!