Sign in to follow this  
Deltaair1212

P3Dv5?

8 minutes ago, Lord_Nibbo said:

That's not true because mine worked ok with the same scenery on P3Dv4.2, nothing was added but now I'm totally shot trying to get P3Dv4.3  to work with my original

The problem with this logic is that it is the responsibility of the add on developers to keep up with the platform, not the other way around. Sure, something LM did broke backward compat with some addon - now it's up to the addon dev to come up with a fix. A matter of priorities.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

delete me. Sorry.

Edited by pgde

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

My number 1 wish for P3Dv5 would be Aerofly FS 2's engine. 😎

I would definitely like to see voice response ATC like VoxATC, which great but quite finicky. I’ve tried the voice control added to 4.3 which works as expected so, they have the foundation already. 

Kent

i7 4790k @4.7Ghz 32Gb DDR3 1333 RTX 2070 GPU Win10 Pro

2 hours ago, Lord_Nibbo said:

I guess you have not had this trouble  YET   then http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=130122   I just wish I had saved P3Dv4.2  😞

So far I haven't had problems.

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

8 minutes ago, otreblA said:

So far I haven't had problems.

1. I have noted that  Lord_Nibbo is still using Windows 7 which may be getting a little old now. 2. He has P3d running in the Programs file which can give really bad Permissions and processing problems. 3. He is using two 980's and if in SLI then P3D don't like that a whole lot. 4. He is also using some pretty hight graphics with older CPU with out overclocking. Don't know if these things are causing problems but could be just running out of horsepower. This is not to say that there is no bug in P3d V4.3....much to early to tell but the system stress may be causing it to pop up so regulary and soon for him. Just something to consider.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

2 hours ago, J van E said:

My number 1 wish for P3Dv5 would be Aerofly FS 2's engine. 😎

and Xplane‘s sloped runways and lights ... 🤩

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

2 hours ago, 503Kento said:

I would definitely like to see voice response ATC like VoxATC, which great but quite finicky. I’ve tried the voice control added to 4.3 which works as expected so, they have the foundation already. 

When I asked LM on a Q&A session on Reddit they said they looking to improve ATC and use some form of voice recognition in the future.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

1 hour ago, shivers9 said:

1. I have noted that  Lord_Nibbo is still using Windows 7 which may be getting a little old now. 2. He has P3d running in the Programs file which can give really bad Permissions and processing problems. 3. He is using two 980's and if in SLI then P3D don't like that a whole lot. 4. He is also using some pretty hight graphics with older CPU with out overclocking. Don't know if these things are causing problems but could be just running out of horsepower. This is not to say that there is no bug in P3d V4.3....much to early to tell but the system stress may be causing it to pop up so regulary and soon for him. Just something to consider.

Agree that it's a generally bad idea to put P3D (or almost any other program) into any directory named Program File* because of the insidious effects of Windows7/10 file redirection on anything in those directories regardless of UAC settings.  As to SLI, P3Dv4 has run very well with SLI since its first release...I have had it running in Win 7 with a pair of 980Ti GPUs, and now with Win 10 and 2x 1080Ti.

But back to topic, I wouldn't have a problem with P3Dv5 breaking backwards compatibility as long as v4 was stable and still supported.  I kept FS9 around a long time (over 5 years) while I waited for FSX to (painfully) slowly mature out of the deep hole it was released into. 

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I have never installed P3D (or FSX for that matter) anywhere other than the Program Files (x86) folder (I am running P3D v3.4 at the moment), and I have never been aware of any "permission" problems affecting the base simulator or any addons. I also use Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

11 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I have never installed P3D (or FSX for that matter) anywhere other than the Program Files (x86) folder (I am running P3D v3.4 at the moment), and I have never been aware of any "permission" problems affecting the base simulator or any addons. I also use Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

That is what's so great about owning our computers. We can run it any way we want.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Ditch the FSX engine. It will always be the Achilles heal moving forward. Improved physics modeling. Updateable nav data base. The rest should all fall into place.

It would be nice to not need a "mini Cray" computer to get half decent performance.

Edited by cowpatz
  • Like 1

Cheers

Steve Hall

18 hours ago, shivers9 said:

1 I have tried Windows 10 three times and in frustration to get everything running ok, things like GoFlight/Saitek addons, I returned to windows 7, if nothing is broken why mend it?

2 P3D running in C:\ Program Files \Lockheed Martin\Prepar3Dv4  is no different to running it in C:\ Lockheed Martin\Prepar3Dv4  there are no permission problems in using the Programs Files folder and that is why it is the folder of choice by Lockheed Martin Prepar3Dv4 the only problem folder is Program Files (x86) that is governed by the need for permissions.

3 The two GTX 980 SLI'd together has no use for FSX or P3D it is solely for other programs I have that benefit from them. but it does mean I could have more than 10 screens if I wanted them :)

4 I will not over clock no one will ever get me to do that, mine runs at a cool 35 degrees and will probably last me my life time, you go a head and cook yours if you want to. :) 

PS I mentioned that I have and use GoFlight and saitek addons. I would like to say I have no drivers for any of the saitek instrument panels and I don't use Spad or Spad next, I devised my own way to get them all to work. the only software I use for the GoFlight addons is one driver from GoFlight and a GoFlight Interface tool from PollyPot Software. I say again no saitek software and no Spad ot Spad Next. :)

Edited by Lord_Nibbo

We can only wish;

- Sloped runways (that don’t break AI)

- PBR

- Improved performance of dynamic lighting (I actually avoid flying at night now because of the performance impact)

- Better ability to control which runways are open and in use in the sim (currently needs to be done in the afcad, gets complex for multiple runway airports)

- New graphics engine 

- ATC improvements - in fact the default ATC is still the most integrated and easiest to use of them all, but it still only has American accents and can’t support SIDS and STARS, as well as the infamous 30 mile vectors to final. But it does control ground AI which the rest can’t really do and if you make allowances for the things it can’t do then it actually works very well. It’s a big ask to create realistic voice sets for the whole planet but it’s doable as an add-on. We could do it, if LM opened up the BGLs to allow the voices to be replaced. I think DT did it, so it’s definitely possible. 

Edited by Airline2Sim
  • Like 1

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

I can only concur with what's been said so far - and assume most of it won't happen anytime soon. But for what it's worth:

- Add SID and STAR support for default ATC. I really like default ATC overall, despite it's little quirks. The problems only start when I get to airports such as KSLC and KDEN, where ATC gives me absolutely bonkers approaches that require me to drop the plane down like a stone in order to meet the vectors that I'm given. Most of the time I have to go around since I'm way too fast. In addition, I'd love to be able to do some of the more interesting approaching, such as JFK's Canarsie, which default ATC will of course never let you do by itself.

- Better AI separation. I did KSEA-CYVR the other day, and there was go-around after go-around in the five minutes I was holding short at 34R. Sort of daft.

- XP11's light scattering effect at a distance. What I mean is the effect XP11 shows when viewing things at a distance, such as a city skyline or mountains. I feel as though P3D's depiction of the light scattering that happens when viewing very far-away objects is too blue and too 'smooth'. XP11 tends to make it more white and 'grainy', for lack of a better word. It's almost like you can 'see' the various molecules in the air between you and far-away objects, whereas in P3D I feel like things have been draped in a translucent blue blanket. It seems like REX might be on to soemthing though with their 'environment force' addon, so let's see if that makes it nay better? I'd rather have LM make the requisite changes directly to P3D though.

- Fix the default engine start sequence for anything non-piston engine-driven. When I just started simming I had no idea how airplane engines start. I saw the needles go up to 100%, and then back down again in the sim, and assumed that's just what it's like in real life, though I always did find it peculiar. Now I know better of course, and as a result I shy away from addons that do not employ a custom engine start, unless it's a piston engine. I wish LM could fix this engine start behavior.

- Get rid of the texture-based lighting. The reason X-plane 11's night lighting is so good, is because it's not texture-based. Rather, the lights are actual emitters, and this creates a wonderful atmosphere. LM has started going down this road with the introduction of dynamic lights. I can only wish for it's use to be expanded, so that slowly by slowly LM get's rid of the texture-based lighting and totally replaced by dynamic lights. As this happens, I wouldn't be surprised if cloud illumination and such things are introduced as well. Though of course this has to come with further performance improvements to the current implementation, and frankly I'm not sure how far LM can drive this without radically overhauling parts of ESP. I wouldn't be surprised if there are core parts of the engine on which technology such as this relies, that are starting to get outdated and can only be pushed so far. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

- A more dynamic world. Probably the most ambitious thing on my list (after the lighting?), I'd like to see a world where the seasons, clouds, weather, humidity - all these things matter to how the world is depicted. Back in FSX a 'living, dynamic' world meant moving cars and seagulls. I'd like to see the scene lighting change as thunderstorms grow, making everything look dark and moody. I'd like to see bleak, cold winter mornings, and clear, warm, sunny summer afternoons. Right now, all the different elements do not quite piece together in a way that works too well. Again, it seems like REX is onto something with Environment Force, so I'll be very interested how far they can take what we have. It seems to me that the most important aspect of this would be 'dynamic shaders' that can be changed on the fly, rather than static shaders that take some 30 seconds to compile. But, that would probably be something for LM to implement.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case