Sign in to follow this  
rtodepart

how long is too long ???

dont know if the tittle delivers the message but here it goes ... I always see some of us talk about  how much money we had spent to date trying to get our sims/Pc of choice to run smooth and also see how some refuse to stop and start from scratch again if a new developer comes out with a sim based on a new platform that wont allow backwards compatibility . again i ask how long  till this mentality goes away for good and we are all willing to adapt to a new engine ??????????????? eventually i think this will happen .....

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Some people are still using FS2004 and very happy with it, to answer your question you can stop the perpetual ladder anytime and freeze yourself in time with what you got. I have a brother with a Sega Genesis and still loves it, has every game ever produced for it, he could get the latest but for him it will be forever 1991, he likes his Sega Genesis and he likes listening to Rush 😃

I would love a new platform too but I gave up wishing for one following MS Flight and DTG Flight fiasco, new development teams have missed out on what we are looking for from them. Between those two a million or two dollars have been wasted on what has become vapourware. 

Edited by Matthew Kane
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

I think is also a philosophical question. What do you value in life? What is important?

You don't always be happier if you buy new things, but some still do this. And for a while it feels better, but in the end it's the same.

It's also an economical question. If you have the money, why not spend those on something you like? You can't take them without in the grave.

• Like 1

Correction of wpell error in the previous post:  "You can't take them (the money) with you in the grave"

One thing you have to take into consideration is there are people out there who are retired with little to no income who likely won't be spending money upgrading equipment since doing so isn't cheap.

• Upvote 2

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Yes, I know. I'm is going to retire latter this year. My pension is decent, but even so, my income will be drastically smaller.

But as i said, if you have the money, I think you should spend those on something you like. Not saving them to the heirs.

Matthew..

The developer of FlyInside is promising a new sim this year.  

http://flyinside-flightsim.com/

Check out the video and very affordable price point at release.  Compatibility is a key design goal.

RMM

Edited by Rmmm

2 hours ago, Rmmm said:

The developer of FlyInside is promising a new sim this year.  

Looks like yet another FSX clone to me... If you want to see a really new and up to date engine, try Aerofly FS 2.

I've been simming for 20-odd years now, & always have gone back to a 15 year old sim. I have tried them all, & strangely enough, I found FlightGear to be VERY good, so I'm playing with that.

In all those years, the Holy Grail of sims has not been discovered as yet!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

It’s up to the developer to build and market the product to me. My mentality  as nothing to do with what the developer creates. The dev creates a engine that’s better than p3d and new addons then I will by it.  

Gives us the Holy Grail of sims most of us would put p3d on the back shelf.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

5 hours ago, msiipola said:

Yes, I know. I'm is going to retire latter this year. My pension is decent, but even so, my income will be drastically smaller.

But as i said, if you have the money, I think you should spend those on something you like. Not saving them to the heirs.

I've been retired for for two years now and P3DV4 is probably is far as I will go with out backward compatibility. True you can't take it with you but you will be having medical expenses and other needs in the years ahead. I'm 65  and don't want to have to go back to work at 85.

But let me tell you, retirement is one of the few things in life that really is as good as it's cracked up to be so congratulations and enjoy.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Vic green

1 hour ago, Wobbie said:

... the Holy Grail of sims has not been discovered as yet!

Pretty much this^^^ and the fact that no one wants to lose current features.

Newer sims are better but often lack several current features people are reluctant to do without.

Its akin to electric cars. I'd love one but range, recharge stations and prices prevent me (and I'm guessing many others) from making the switch.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, rtodepart said:

also see how some refuse to stop and start from scratch again if a new developer comes out with a sim based on a new platform that wont allow backwards compatibility . again i ask how long  till this mentality goes away for good and we are all willing to adapt to a new engine ??????????????? eventually i think this will happen .....

Many say they won't, but if the platform is good enough and developers support it with top notch products which is sufficiently distinct from what they have now, they will switch.     Many are constrained by finance though - and this isn't a cheap hobby anymore

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ErichB said:

Many are constrained by finance though - and this isn't a cheap hobby anymore

I agree. My current PC is good enough for FS2004/FSX but it's too slow for the new 64-bits sims which I want to upgrade to.

My first idea was to change parts in my current PC, but the only parts I could re-use was the power supply, case, DVD-reader, keyboard and mouse. For the new 64-bit sims, I need to a change motherboard, RAM-memory, CPU+cooler, video card and monitor. So I decided to build a new PC and keep my old PC for all other things besides gaming.

5 minutes ago, msiipola said:

So I decided to build a new PC and keep my old PC for all other things besides gaming

Good idea