Sign in to follow this  
dbrooke

X-Plane locks up

I have just bought MCE.   X-Plane just seems to lock up when I start MCE.  I can't change views or see what MCE is talkiing about. I have to kill X-Plane with CTRL-ALT-DEL or reboot, when I stop MCE. Posted the same on X.org,bbut there doesn't seem to be much happening there.Normal without MCE of course.

Edited by dbrooke

WW4959.png

1 hour ago, dbrooke said:

I have just bought MCE.   X-Plane just seems to lock up when I start MCE.  I can't change views or see what MCE is talkiing about. I have to kill X-Plane with CTRL-ALT-DEL or reboot, when I stop MCE. Posted the same on X.org,bbut there doesn't seem to be much happening there.Normal without MCE of course.

First, welcome aboard dbrooke.

This is a known scenario and is the result of an incomplete installation on the X-Plane side, possibly becauise you have more than one X-Plane installation, and only one of them had required files installed into..

Go to \X-Plane\ main installation folder and check the installer has put a folder named <MCE dlls> with 2 subfolders inside it, each containing about 20 dlls.

I bet it's missing.

Go back to downloaded unzipped file and look under \Files\X-Plane\, then copy entire <MCE dlls> folder and paste it to \X-Plane\ main installation folder.

If you have more than one X-Plane installation, do the same with the other one.

It wasn't missing, I have overwritten it with the extracted archive. But it made no difference.  I only have one  installation.

WW4959.png

42 minutes ago, dbrooke said:

It wasn't missing, I have overwritten it with the extracted archive. But it made no difference.  I only have one  installation.

I assume you installed MCE to default C:\Program Files (x86)\Multi Crew X-Plane\ folder and that you set "X-Plane.exe" to run as admin.

MCE and the speech engine run as an external process.

Suggest you delete <MCE dlls> folder, un-install MCE via Windows Control Panel, then re-install.

It's important the 64 bit dlls are in the correct folder, otherwise X-Plane 64 Bit won't be able to load them.

What other non aircraft or scenery related plugins are you running?

I don't install applications on the C: drive, I am old school. There shouldn't be any problem running it elsewhere. I will re-install.  I have a whole raft of other plugins, and will be running Pilot2Atc as well.

Edited by dbrooke

WW4959.png

10 hours ago, dbrooke said:

I don't install applications on the 😄 drive, I am old school. There shouldn't be any problem running it elsewhere. I will re-install.  I have a whole raft of other plugins, and will be running Pilot2Atc as well.

You can only install elsewhere when Windows UAC is disabled.

And since we don't recommend disabling UAC, and it happens to be enabled, you have to install to default C:\Program Files (x86)\Multi Crew X-Plane\.

A full installation including all recorded voice packs won't exceed 2 GB.

The reason it has to be in that folder is that under Windows UAC rules, the operating system, won't let 2 exe files (mce.exe and "X-Plane.exe) communicate unless a dew conditions are met.

Among them, calling exe needing to be in "Program Files (x86) folder and being digitally signed.

We could have avoided that by running everything inside X-Plane in "xpInsider.xpl" plugin.

But experience gathered years ago has shown us it's a foolish thing to run the speech engine inside the simulator process.

Not only there is a risk of affecting X-Plane performance, but also may cripple your entire flight should speech engine or MCE misbehave after a few hours flying.

With this 2 tier design, MCE eventually dies, and could be restarted midflight (as if FO went for a loo break), and the sim should stay put, which is the most important thing.

I have installed to the C: drive - I am still having the same problem. I can't change view, I can't close the umpteen dialogs XP opens about missing things, and I can't even close it, even via CTR-ALT-DEL, I just have to reboot.  This is a Win 10 machine, but you seem to know that from the license info.  I can talk to the copilot, and he seems to think he's doing something, but in actual fact nothing is happening. Sometimes the mouse cursor disappears as well, sometimes not.

Edited by dbrooke

WW4959.png

8 hours ago, dbrooke said:

I have installed to the 😄 drive - I am still having the same problem. I can't change view, I can't close the umpteen dialogs XP opens about missing things, and I can't even close it, even via CTR-ALT-DEL, I just have to reboot.  This is a Win 10 machine, but you seem to know that from the license info.  I can talk to the copilot, and he seems to think he's doing something, but in actual fact nothing is happening. Sometimes the mouse cursor disappears as well, sometimes not.

Could you post screenshots about those dialog boxes you have to close?

Which aircraft are you trying to use MCE with?

The License key isn't tied to ANY operating system. You can format C : drive, install ANY Windows version and it will still work.

Which plugins other than aircraft and scenery are you also running?

I have tried MCE with Jar A320 & a330 Zibo 737 and the stock 747.

Plugins

Auto gate

AviTab

Betterpushback

CEF

Dataref editor

Dataref tool

ExtPlane

FM CAR 

Gizmo64

Jar Ground Handling

Hangar  Ops

Little XPconnect

Plugin Admin

QPacTerrain Data

SimpleFMC

TerraMax

TolissData

TolissFlightPlans

TolissTerrainData

UltraWeather

WorldTraffic

WorldTrafficRadar

X-Raas2

XChecklist

xcontrol

XPLM.Framework

XPUIPC

XPWidgets.framework

Xweather

Though most are disabled via Xorganiser at the moment.

I don't don't know how to add pictures to this forum. I have stopped most of the dialogs about missing libraries and scenery now. 

Edited by dbrooke

WW4959.png

4 hours ago, dbrooke said:

I have tried MCE with Jar A320 & a330 Zibo 737 and the stock 747.

Plugins

Auto gate

AviTab

Betterpushback

CEF

Dataref editor

Dataref tool

ExtPlane

FM CAR 

Gizmo64

Jar Ground Handling

Hangar  Ops

Little XPconnect

Plugin Admin

QPacTerrain Data

SimpleFMC

TerraMax

TolissData

TolissFlightPlans

TolissTerrainData

UltraWeather

WorldTraffic

WorldTrafficRadar

X-Raas2

XChecklist

xcontrol

XPLM.Framework

XPUIPC

XPWidgets.framework

Xweather

Though most are disabled via Xorganiser at the moment.

I don't don't know how to add pictures to this forum. I have stopped most of the dialogs about missing libraries and scenery now. 

I don't know about XOrganizer.

I suggest you disable all other unfamiliar plugins using X-Plane own admin tool.

You can leave the following

Plugin Admin

XPLM.Framework

XPWidgets.framework

Gizmo64

Jar Ground Handling

Dataref editor

Once you get MCE going with these, enable the others one at a time and restart X-Plane each time until you come across the issue.

Be aware, this is one of the reasons we provide MCE as a "try before you buy".

There is simply no way to test it against all the possible combinations of X-Plane Betas and countless plugins (which also get updated at a crazy pace).

I am confident it will eventually work. Just that you may need to be prepared for a fresh install of X-Plane, since you also reported issues with scenery add-ons missing libraries and such. Basically, not running a smooth XP installation by the look of it.

But we aren't there yet. So, let's try to find out whether other plugins are involved.

Thanks for your patience.

I did try to use the demo, but it told me I had run out of time. Strange as I have never tried it on X-Plane. I might have tried it 3-4 years ago on FSX. I can't remember.  X-Plane itself runs fine, doesn't miss a beat. the missing scenery libraries are part of the fun?  I usually get to the bottom of it. All the commercial sceneries run fine.  XOrganiser is just a tool to enable sceneries and plugins etc, very useful, it doesn't run at the same time as X-Plane.  Incidentally, I am on the current 11.21 - I don't bother with betas usually., like you say, it is complex enough.  Do you know of plugins that cause conflict?  I am at work for a few days now, so not much time to spend on it.  

WW4959.png

I'm back.  I have uninstalled XP11 and created a vanilla install, and as expected MCE now works. But, I have forgotten how to use XP without all my add ons and settings. I have put some plugins and addons back and everything is still OK.  Are you planning support for the Toliss A319?

Edited by dbrooke

WW4959.png

1 hour ago, dbrooke said:

I'm back.  I have uninstalled XP11 and created a vanilla install, and as expected MCE now works. But, I have forgotten how to use XP without all my add ons and settings. I have put some plugins and addons back and everything is still OK.  Are you planning support for the Toliss A319?

Thanks for feedback.

Keep putting other plugins one at a time and test MCE connecting to X-Plane smoothly, until you eventually hit the wrong combination.

Hopefully not. There is currently no known incompatibility with any plugin.

Who knows, maybe full support for Toliss A319 one day.

For now, the next one that will be supported is FF A320 Ultimate.

See this thread: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/148603-voice-based-crew-simulation-for-ff-a320/

Thanks, I do have the FF A320 so I will look forward to that, but I prefer the Toliss A319 of all my addon aircraft.

WW4959.png

I now have a different problem, MCE starts perfectly. But no other user plugin will appear in the list.  I have tried quite a few now. Better Pushback, XPUIPC, JAR ground handling for instance. MCE appears in the list. 

WW4959.png