Sign in to follow this  
honanhal

QW787 current status?

14 hours ago, honanhal said:

Well, I don’t know what to believe. I guess the takeaway is if I buy it it may be fine, or it may have all kinds of problems (PWJTD8D even likes the plane and he’s giving that a 5-10% chance!).

Uh, that’s...not great?

Anyway, thanks all the same for all the feedback, guys. I’m as unsure as ever but at least I have more data!

James

Your letting one really bad negative experience comment deter your from a purchase decision? Could be something else in his setup conflicting otherwise everyone would have it. Most have bee pleased with it. Its easy to deal with the small issues.  Ive not had CTD related to the 787. I think its a great aircraft, despite some issues, but they certainly arent show stoppers. If you really want to a 787, then go get it and try it out. You have the refund option, but be more open minded and support our developers who are trying their best. They do recognize and work on it.  I cant imagine it being easy with all the different systems out there. 

I honestly dont understand why LNAV and VNAV are show stoppers for people. Ever heard of HDG mode?  V/S mode?  Use them if the aircraft is not responding as it should . Take over. Your the captain. LNAV and VNAV are not the be all for flying. If my aircraft is not flying a turn properly, intercept next waypoint with heading mode. This will work better anyhow with vectors into any airport and ATC. In cruise its likely straight and mild turns. LNAV wont be an issue. 

And again to reiterate, its not PMDG pricing, its way more reasonable, so frame it in that context.   

Have fun!

• Like 1

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

2 minutes ago, HighTowers said:

I honestly dont understand why LNAV and VNAV are show stoppers for people. Ever heard of HDG mode?  V/S mode? 

I think this explains it all really. Yeah, why bother complaining that LNAV/VNAV should work properly? Just use HDG or V/S mode guys! Problem solved. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

6 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

I think this explains it all really. Yeah, why bother complaining that LNAV/VNAV should work properly? Just use HDG or V/S mode guys! Problem solved. 🙂

No I'm not saying its an excuse. And I dont recall QW saying that.  Of course it should be fixed. But its been hammered into me from a relative with over 30 yrs flying heavies, if the aircraft is not behaving the way it should, then take over with another action. You dont give up and crash the plane just because VNAV doesnt want to initiate descent. As far as I cant tell, they are working it out.  The CRJ had the same issue with LNAV tracking  and it took about 5 updates before they got it closer to what it should be. Not an easy fix. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

10 minutes ago, HighTowers said:

No I'm not saying its an excuse. And I dont recall QW saying that.  Of course it should be fixed. But its been hammered into me from a relative with over 30 yrs flying heavies, if the aircraft is not behaving the way it should, then take over with another action. You dont give up and crash the plane just because VNAV doesnt want to initiate descent. As far as I cant tell, they are working it out.  The CRJ had the same issue with LNAV tracking  and it took about 5 updates before they got it closer to what it should be. Not an easy fix. 

Of course you would try to solve the issue with alternative measures. The thing is that LNAV/VNAV problems IRL are not that common and, if it happens during a flight, it would surely demand maintenance work to get it fixed asap. The QW787, on the other hand, usually has significant difficulties following SID/STAR profiles that are just a bit more curvy than a straight line. It is not something that happens once in a while unfortunately...

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

On 7/6/2018 at 8:45 AM, B777ER said:

Yikes, I thought that the VNAV was still not fixed, thanks for confirmation. Random CTD are a definite show stopper. Especially when you consider this plane is used for long haul type flying. I do my stuff in real time and not about to throw 10 hours out the window if one of these random CTD crop up. Will wait for more polish to be applied. 

I just flew IAD-GRU real-time dodging weather with the WX radar and no issues. I’m a happy camper so far!

On 7/7/2018 at 5:12 AM, joemiller said:

"It's not a PMDG quality"  ???  I didn't know PMDG has a 787.

Quality control applies any product.  

This BS of ‘it doesn’t work properly but that’s ok because is not a PMDG price ‘ is absolute claptrap. BASIC functionality in this kind of aircraft means fully functional VNAV and LNAV modes because that is exactly what the aircraft is designed to do - in its most basic day-to-day operation

• Like 1
  • Upvote 10

18 minutes ago, ErichB said:

This BS of ‘it doesn’t work properly but that’s ok because is not a PMDG price ‘ is absolute claptrap. BASIC functionality in this kind of aircraft means fully functional VNAV and LNAV modes because that is exactly what the aircraft is designed to do - in its most basic day-to-day operation

Yup! Lack of depth shouldn't mean that it is allowed to have major bugs.

• Upvote 3

Santiago de Larminat

5 hours ago, HighTowers said:

Your letting one really bad negative experience comment deter your from a purchase decision?

The comment I was referring to was someone who liked and recommended the airplane, and was (like you) trying to acknowledge, but downplay, the people who are having issues by saying it was only a couple hundred people out of more than a thousand. I was pointing out that those still really aren’t stellar odds, speaking as a potential buyer.

Beyond that, did you read this thread? It’s almost evenly divided between people like you who say they’re never had a CTD, seen the LNAV overshoot a turn, or experienced any other problems, and people who say they’ve experienced all those issues. It’s not “one really bad negative comment.”

I admit it’s strange how inconsistent people’s results are with this plane. It’s one thing to say “well, maybe your LNAV turns are also messed up but you’re not paying attention”, but a CTD is a CTD. Bizarre that some people aren’t (apparently) getting them at all while others still are.

I’m not trying to hold this plane to some unfairly high standard. I just want an addon that doesn’t crash — and yes, to me a broken LNAV/VNAV is a dealbreaker. I’m not going to buy a 21st-century airliner to fly it like a 707 (although obviously some do!).

James

• Upvote 2

I am giving this bird another shot now (OTHH -> EDDM). I have promised to keep it in the Hangar until more patches come out, since my last two flights ended with a CTD. Let`s see how it goes...

1 hour ago, honanhal said:

I admit it’s strange how inconsistent people’s results are with this plane. It’s one thing to say “well, maybe your LNAV turns are also messed up but you’re not paying attention”, but a CTD is a CTD. Bizarre that some people aren’t (apparently) getting them at all while others still are.

Not so bizarre. I've seen it happen several times where an add-on installs a dll or library that is not compatible and conflicts with another and causes a crash. Either can exist on their own on someone's system and be perfectly happy. Have both present, and bang. Not saying that's what happening here, but there's a good chance.

Edited by odourboy
  • Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I was having random CTDs with the QW 787 until I uninstalled P3D and reinstalled everything outside of the Windows 'Program Files' folder. Since doing that I've not had any issues.

It's a beautiful plane, a real pleasure to fly.

So, just completed a semi-long-haul flight of 6 hours. Impressions:

Positives:

• No CTD`s this time.

Negatives:

• Sub-par LNAV performance:
  • The Airplane can`t get out of HOLDs. Had to use HDG/VS basically for 1 hour because even though I have armed the hold exit multiple times, the aircraft would refuse to continue with the route.

Back to the Hangar, I guess.

• Upvote 2

I really like flying the 787 at the time being. It's not perfect, it has some LNAV issues as mentioned. But nothing that stops me from enjoying it. To be honest I did not touch any other plane since I got the 787. The PMDGs and FSLabs are having a timeout 😉

Edited by swiesma

I find a couple of niggles, not sure if they are realistic. With a light fuel load (25 %) the aircraft creeps on taxi with no throttle, this makes parking tough. Also, she's a devil to slow down on descent, even with full spoilers. I've tried various cost indexes, but it needs manual intervention as you near approach to start reducing speed early or VNAV will end up too high to capture the glide slope.

Lawrence

On 7/8/2018 at 4:18 AM, ErichB said:

And if QW wants to wait months and months for their PIP in lieu of issuing a hotfix to cure some basic aircraft functionality then my money can wait in my pocket. I do a lot of long distance flights where I am not at my computer the whole time. LNAV issues are a big concern for me personally. I don't want to wind up in the South Atlantic when I thought I should be over Canada.

Eric