Sign in to follow this  
honanhal

QW787 current status?

2 hours ago, LEdwards said:

I find a couple of niggles, not sure if they are realistic. With a light fuel load (25 %) the aircraft creeps on taxi with no throttle, this makes parking tough. Also, she's a devil to slow down on descent, even with full spoilers. I've tried various cost indexes, but it needs manual intervention as you near approach to start reducing speed early or VNAV will end up too high to capture the glide slope.

Lawrence

Most of these attributes sound fairly realistic.  Modern aircraft are aerodynamically efficient and are generally not that easy to slow down - so it takes some forward planning .  

You generally wouldn't be relying on cost indexes so close to the approach - it's irrelevant - and generally, manual interventions for speed and descent management of some kind are fairly realistic.

I'm sure someone will pop in and provide a more accurate answer, but it sounds like your queries are related to early learning experiences of flying digital airliners (we have all been there),  rather than issues with the aircraft itself -  in this instance.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Most of these attributes sound fairly realistic.  Modern aircraft are aerodynamically efficient and are generally not that easy to slow down - so it takes some forward planning .  

You generally wouldn't be relying on cost indexes so close to the approach - it's irrelevant - and generally, manual interventions for speed and descent management of some kind are fairly realistic.

I'm sure someone will pop in and provide a more accurate answer, but it sounds like your queries are related to early learning experiences of flying digital airliners (we have all been there),  rather than issues with the aircraft itself -  in this instance.

I thought the cost index influenced the speed of descent, in that Top Of Descent would differ? If descent doesn't start early enough then intervention is inevitable at approach IMO.

BTW I have been flight dimming since 1983 😁

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LEdwards said:

thought the cost index influenced the speed of descent,

It does, but you were talking about nearing approach - so unless your intention is to fully automate absolutely every phase and mode of your flight (which is not realistic, in the main), I wouldn't place to much faith in the simulated outputs in this case.  The aircraft is not perfect - as you have read in this thread.

11 minutes ago, LEdwards said:

BTW I have been flight dimming since 1983 😁

I started high school that year.  Bet that was on an Apple or ZX Spectrum.:)

There is no VNAV logic. Airplane needs to slow by 100 knots at the next waypoint? LNAV logic in the real aircraft calculates it and gets the aircraft to raise the nose and descend more shallow to get the speed back.

This airplane no offense is using the default fsx AP logic. The throttles are not retarding for descent my N1 is 70% at descent. I like the looks of the aircraft & the cockpit style of the 787. I love the 787 routes a better mix of short or long haul your choice of real aircraft routes more than the 747 and 777. weather radar crashes even after the update. I hope a big update is coming. This could be in 1-3 months a nice addon.

Edited by Boeing or not going
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Boeing or not going said:

There is no VNAV logic. Airplane needs to slow by 100 knots at the next waypoint? LNAV logic in the real aircraft calculates it and gets the aircraft to raise the nose and descend more shallow to get the speed back.

This airplane no offense is using the default fsx AP logic. The throttles are not retarding for descent my N1 is 70% at descent. I like the looks of the aircraft & the cockpit style of the 787. I love the 787 routes a better mix of short or long haul your choice of real aircraft routes more than the 747 and 777. weather radar crashes even after the update. I hope a big update is coming. This could be in 1-3 months a nice addon.

That's weird because for me the VNAV does work and auto throttles and rate of descent both behave. The issue for me is that the weight of the aircraft seems to feel unrealistically low, i.e. too much lift. If you create drag by using spoliers and flaps it will keep to the correct speed and altitude on descent and approach.

33 minutes ago, LEdwards said:

That's weird because for me the VNAV does work and auto throttles and rate of descent both behave. The issue for me is that the weight of the aircraft seems to feel unrealistically low, i.e. too much lift. If you create drag by using spoliers and flaps it will keep to the correct speed and altitude on descent and approach.

Your descent does not have throttles at 50-70% n1?

6 minutes ago, Boeing or not going said:

Your descent does not have throttles at 50-70% n1?

No, throttles reduce to idle if needed and increase/decrease to maintain correct rate of descent and speed.

I had a bug the other day where my throttles were stuck at TOGA position after takeoff no matter what. I went up like a rocket ship. Who says the age of supersonic travel is dead?

I've seen other people report the bug. I've never had this one happen before until 4.3.

Doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of P3D, including deleting all P3D folders (including hidden ones) sorted out all of the glitches for me. Have done several long flights post reinstall and not had a single issue. I also made sure I ran everything as administrator during install and don't use the Program Files folder.

On 7/9/2018 at 3:49 PM, ErichB said:

When I worked at easyJet you would be amazed at how quickly that aircraft could taxi to the gate at LGW if they where on minimum rest for the following day if they had a sneaky little AMS and back the following day. 

Funnily enough that same aircraft would taxi overwhelmingly slowly if they where on minimum rest and doing the early corfu or the late dalaman. One might think they could be purposely try to get out of doing a long duty the next day...... 

We even had a skipper once asked to hold at Willo once, when the atco asked him why he told them to get out of his Moscow the next day on min rest. 

We logged the guy, called him in for a disaplinariey and balpa got him off. Good innit. At easyJet you saw this sort of malarkey every day they where so desperate not to work. Lucky enough my current airline we don't have this sillyness 

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

I’ve heard tales like this from our real pilots too. One of my favourites was that if you left the Q400 flight/taxi switch in the ‘flight’ position (you’d normally have it in ‘taxi’ on the ground of course), then you could taxi as fast as you liked because the aircraft didn’t log taxi speeds as it ‘thinks’ it is on the runway. If you taxied faster than the airline SOP allowed with the switch in ‘taxi’ then the aircraft would log it and sooner or later when the data was downloaded to the safety department, you’d be called in for tea and no biccies (cookies, to our American cousins). 

Anyhow on topic, the QW 787 doesn’t seem to descend with idle thrust which is precisely what VNAV is designed for. The 787 VNAV works somewhat differently to the 777 so I can’t give a definite opinion in it right now until we do a 787 Training Program and I get a real world skipper to show me how it works. I hope they continue to work on this as the rest of the aircraft itself is really nice. 

Edited by Airline2Sim

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

11 hours ago, JasonPC said:

I had a bug the other day where my throttles were stuck at TOGA position after takeoff no matter what. I went up like a rocket ship. Who says the age of supersonic travel is dead?

I've seen other people report the bug. I've never had this one happen before until 4.3.

This happens on the flightsimlabs airbus too. Clicking the autopilot off then on seems to reset things.

Edited by dbw1

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:46 PM, BBoyJD10 said:

Fantastic for me! No issues at all. Perfect plane 🙂

Just remember they are not PMDG/FSLabs and are NOT trying to be PMDG/FSLabs. Then you will be happy and satisfied 😄 

What driver are you using?

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

3 hours ago, dbw1 said:

This happens on the flightsimlabs airbus too. Clicking the autopilot off then on seems to reset things.

Never had that problem with the fslabs airbus. Only way it would happen is if you inadvertently disabled autothrottle. With this bug I disabled autopilot and there was no way to get the throttles back to idle.

Edited by JasonPC