honanhal

QW787 current status?

Recommended Posts

Sorely tempted to pick this up, but wanted to check in with folks to see what kind of state it's in after the patch. Bugs mostly fixed? Worth getting? Any showstoppers left?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

James

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Fantastic for me! No issues at all. Perfect plane 🙂

 

Just remember they are not PMDG/FSLabs and are NOT trying to be PMDG/FSLabs. Then you will be happy and satisfied 😄 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Pretty solid IMHO. Very enjoyable and nothing I would personally describe as a show-stopper. My ownly minor peeve is the cockpit lighting. Not exactly state of the art.

Share this post


Link to post

Great plane, just missing that multi crew experience, but FS2CREW will be working on it.

Share this post


Link to post

Works well for me. As mentioned, it is not a PMDG aircraft, but it doesn't have a PMDG price.

Share this post


Link to post

I'd say it's a pretty good aircraft. I still have random CTDs at times, but I feel pretty confident it will be fixed.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, all! Sounds like it's pretty good now, although SKEWR's report of random CTDs gives me some pause. I'll probably go ahead and pull the trigger this weekend.

James

Share this post


Link to post

Just fly with weather radar off.  That fixed the CTD's for me.  Hoping they fix that soon, but I do love this aircraft.

 

Darcy

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Darcy said:

Just fly with weather radar off.  That fixed the CTD's for me.  Hoping they fix that soon, but I do love this aircraft.

I bought it, fired it up once to learn the cockpit and once for a delivery flight BFI-DEN and uninstalled it. LNAV/VNAV  started freaking out on me about 5 minutes into cruise and finally CTD'ed. Also, prior to uninstalling, all of my other add-on airplanes were banking all the way to the left as if the QW installation hosed something up, uninstalled and the issue went away.

I haven't actually tried this plane without the weather radar, I may if I have the time to do it, but I do refuse to be a part of another alpha or beta tester for yet again another developer who did a sh***y job testing their own product. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

I bought it, fired it up once to learn the cockpit and once for a delivery flight BFI-DEN and uninstalled it. LNAV/VNAV  started freaking out on me about 5 minutes into cruise and finally CTD'ed. Also, prior to uninstalling, all of my other add-on airplanes were banking all the way to the left as if the QW installation hosed something up, uninstalled and the issue went away.

I haven't actually tried this plane without the weather radar, I may if I have the time to do it, but I do refuse to be a part of another alpha or beta tester for yet again another developer who did a sh***y job testing their own product. 

Um, that doesn't sound good at all.

James

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

I bought it, fired it up once to learn the cockpit and once for a delivery flight BFI-DEN and uninstalled it. LNAV/VNAV  started freaking out on me about 5 minutes into cruise and finally CTD'ed. Also, prior to uninstalling, all of my other add-on airplanes were banking all the way to the left as if the QW installation hosed something up, uninstalled and the issue went away.

I haven't actually tried this plane without the weather radar, I may if I have the time to do it, but I do refuse to be a part of another alpha or beta tester for yet again another developer who did a sh***y job testing their own product. 

Yikes, I thought that the VNAV was still not fixed, thanks for confirmation. Random CTD are a definite show stopper. Especially when you consider this plane is used for long haul type flying. I do my stuff in real time and not about to throw 10 hours out the window if one of these random CTD crop up. Will wait for more polish to be applied. 

Share this post


Link to post

It's stable for me (even with the WX radar) but there are some bugs although nothing that makes it un-flyable.

I requested an update on an update on their forums and it appears to have been removed.  What I'm most curious about is what type of improvements/bug fixes they are working on.

Share this post


Link to post

Coming from the PMDG NGX, I think it's a good model, if you are willing to cut it a little slack (meaning, don't expect PMDG quality, and save the flight every once in a while in case there is a CTD).  MOST of my flights can be successfully completed without the CTD's or other issues (still having an issue with VNAV at TOC, but I just deal with it)

I personally love the 787 IRL, and there is no other option for P3D, so I don't get too frustrated when I have to deal with these issues.  

I REALLY love the jump ahead feature.  You can literally configure, take off, climb, and descend/land all within an hour ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.  I love PMDG, but that is one feature that QW has that I really wish the NGX has.  Honestly, probably the single feature that's stopped me from going back to the NGX since the purchase.  Plus the crew sounds are really nice

I say go for it, but be a little forgiving if something doesn't go right.  It is a new product but an amazing aircraft with some really good features

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

It’s still whacky when it comes to LNAV and VNAV for me, which kind of ruins the show. Much of it is spot on but I almost wish I could give it to PMDG to finish off the fiddly bits. *runs and hides*

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

"It's not a PMDG quality"  ???  I didn't know PMDG has a 787.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I have never had a CTD or any LNAV issues with the 787. The aircraft works perfectly fine for me. I'd say you're safe to give her a go. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, PWJT8D said:

I have never had a CTD or any LNAV issues with the 787. The aircraft works perfectly fine for me. I'd say you're safe to give her a go. 

Never had LNAV issues? I find that hard to believe...I experience issues on almost every curve. I think that you are just not paying attention.

The aircraft has potential, though.

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

Never had LNAV issues? I find that hard to believe...I experience issues on almost every curve. I think that you are just not paying attention.

The aircraft has potential, though.

I think with an ill-though out comment like that, this thread is heading for closure. Which would be a shame for those who are following it... 

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

Never had LNAV issues? I find that hard to believe...I experience issues on almost every curve. I think that you are just not paying attention.

The aircraft has potential, though.

To be fair, the QW787 tends to over shoot the tracking while on LNAV causing the airplane to over compensate and try to get back onto the route.  However, at least for me, that seemed to be smoothed out with the last update.  Still not perfect, but you can see that QW is very well aware of the issue and continuously working on a fix. 

As for VNAV, I don't recall having an issue with it and I believe some folks were having issues with the plane not descending at TOD.  I never experienced that.  

Lastly, the weather radar issues, I've personally never experienced any issues using it and I've used it from inception.  Never experienced any CTD's with the aircraft as well.  

What I'm trying to get at, everyone seems to have very different experiences with the aircraft with regards to stability.  IMHO, it speaks to how well your system is optimized, maintained and updated.  This hobby of ours tends to unmask hidden issues with systems that other pieces of software or games tends to just overlook because it's so resource heavy.

There are multiple Twitch and YouTube videos of folks using this plane without any issues.  That alone should help anyone trying to make a decision on whether to purchase this aircraft or not. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I can't say that I have done a ton of flying in it, but I haven't had any CTD's with weather radar in the updated version. It is probably something system specific that is causing it. As mentioned, it is substantially cheaper than a PMDG product, so I am sure there are trade offs made. I have always liked QW's cabin announcements. For me, I just wish weight and balance were easier to deal with - RTFM on my part would probably help with this. FWIW, I was flying the NGX mostly before I got the 787. I needed a long range aircraft, but I didn't feel like rebuying the 777 at $135 considering most of my flights are less than 2,000nm.

 

Edited by duckbilled

Share this post


Link to post

I have not had problems with the QW787, I'm using it in P3dv4.3, excellent !!

Share this post


Link to post

My major complaint with the QW787 is the lighting quality of the displays.  I find that they are so bright to be unusable in the VC mode and only decent in the 2D mode.  Changing settings does not make them work well for me including disabling many advanced graphics setting used in P3D versus FSX.  They need major work IMHO.  I tried using the HUD for my flying to get around this problem since the HUD is normally used in 787 OPS but it is a bit jumpy and hard to use for landing guidance.  Not sure how to fix that as it exists even on autoland but I much prefer to land myself.

As a result of the VC lighting, I find this a/c stays in my hanger which is too bad and I love many of the features.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, garydpoole said:

I think with an ill-though out comment like that, this thread is heading for closure. Which would be a shame for those who are following it... 

Why? Can`t we criticize products here anymore? It is a fact that the aircraft has LNAV problems. Even the developer`s have recognized that.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, duckbilled said:

 For me, I just wish weight and balance were easier to deal with - RTFM on my part would probably help with this.

 

It’s not just you, I don’t think a lot of us like their weight and balance system.  In fact it was brought up during the FSELITE interview at the Flightsim Expo in Vegas.  You can find the interview on YouTube.  I’m on my phone or I would post the link.  QW really seemed keen on hearing users feedback on the aircraft.  Definitely shows their intent on listening and applying what they’ve learned from the feedback they receive.

 

Added the link to the QW interview with FSELITE:  https://fselite.net/originals/flight-sim/flight-sim-expo-2018-qualitywings-interview/

Edited by DylanC
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, diajohn said:

My major complaint with the QW787 is the lighting quality of the displays.  I find that they are so bright to be unusable in the VC mode and only decent in the 2D mode.  Changing settings does not make them work well for me including disabling many advanced graphics setting used in P3D versus FSX.  They need major work IMHO.  I tried using the HUD for my flying to get around this problem since the HUD is normally used in 787 OPS but it is a bit jumpy and hard to use for landing guidance.  Not sure how to fix that as it exists even on autoland but I much prefer to land myself.

As a result of the VC lighting, I find this a/c stays in my hanger which is too bad and I love many of the features.

I thought this was proved not to be an inherent issue with the aircraft, but with users set ups.  I may be wrong, but thought I saw that on their forums.  I know I’ve never had these issues.  Again goes back to my previous comment.  Everyone’s experience is different.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now