Sign in to follow this  
olderndirt

Antaliasing in XP - the untold story?

I need to talk to that person who has the definitive answer to antaliasing and how to get it in XP11.  Before I take a screenie I advance the game graphics to far right on antalias and you can see the difference.  If however, I leave it there, my machine starts to grunt until I return to the workable but jaggy setting.  Neither Nvidia inspector nor Nvidia control panel seems to do anything (I've been known to screw-up).  If I'm missing something, I'd sure like to know it.

Edited by olderndirt

What are your system specs for CPU, GPU, RAM? What monitor resolution are you running? And how do you have your other graphics setting in X-Plane?

It sounds like you have a bottleneck somewhere, but there is no free lunch with graphics. You need fairly powerful hardware to run the higher AA settings. Especially if you're using high monitor resolution.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Could be the problem.  Middly/i5 3570k/GTX1060/16gb RAM/monitor-windowed/1980x1020.Graphics:  Visual Effects.....................................3/4..................................................High(HDR)          Texture  Quality..................................3/5..................................................HIGH    Antalias..............................................3/5..................................................4XSSA    World  Objects....................................3/4..................................................HIGH  Reflections..........................................0.....................................................MINIMAL                                      Lots of pros and cons about Nvidia?

Okay, I'm running a similar system to yours, similar monitor res, but with more RAM and a slower video card (see specs at bottom of post). Graphics settings in X-Plane are about the same, but with Maximum world objects.

I'm using one step lower anti-aliasing than you -- 2x SSAA+FXAA. Honestly, I don't see any objectionable jaggies at that level of AA. The only place I can see it is on shadows in the cockpit, and I have to zoom in pretty close to notice it. We may have different tolerance level for jaggies though.

I don't do anything special in Nvidia Control Panel settings, everything is set to default (Use global settings).

P.S. make sure you have "Draw shadows on scenery" turned off, because that's a major performance hit. If you have that turned on, it might let you run a higher AA setting when it's off.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

4XSSAA is going to be difficult with current crop of GPUs, Vulkan will help out significantly as will next gen GPUs.

Nothing wrong with nVidia even with OpenGL and/or Vulkan ... still considerably faster/better than AMD when comparing top tier GPUs.

I'd like to see AMD mount a serious contender to nVidia, it would be good for consumers to have options.

Like other's posted, I use 2X SSAA+FXAA also, not perfect but it's still pretty good quality AA ... but I run 4K res so I have less of a need for AA.

Cheers, Rob.

I can run 4XSSAA in 1440p with pretty good results with my specs i can even go to 8XSSAA depending on the nuber of objects i have and the plane im using, but in 4k like Rob said its almost impossible, a huge frame drop.

Pay attention to this "monitor-windowed" since there are significant differences with full screen mode, at least in my experience, try whats best to you.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync