Sign in to follow this  
Guest Peter Wilding

Ground Environment Pro and sky textures

I can't find a support forum for Ground Environment as such.Does anyone know if it's possible to stop GE Pro loading sky textures to FS9, and consequently having it load only ground textures?Firstly, I have Active Sky 6 to look after the sky, but more to the point, I want to keep Soft Horizon sky textures in place becuase otherwise, whatever sky textures I use, I get a horrible hard horizon and worse, clouds popping into into view from nowhere.

ngxu_banner.png

Yes, I think you can do this by simply not generating any sky texture files for GE Pro to select from and load into FS2004. It comes with a few sky textures pre-generated but you can manually delete these.I prefer the AS6 sky textures as well, and so I generally use the default GE Pro ground textures and/or load GE Pro first, let it do its thing (including sky textures), exit GE PRO, then load AS6 and let it overwrite the GE Pro stuff. I then launch FS from AS6.Todd

It all depends on the order the add-ons are started. This has been greatly discussed in an earlier thread.Start GE Pro and let it update the ground and sky textures. Start AS6 and let it update its textures and you will have the AS6 sky colors.Pat

Ah that's not the point, I don't let AS6 overwrite my sky textures either, the Soft Horizons sky textures blur over the horizon and prevent that horrible FS striaght line horizon - but the main point is that with a clear horizon, you can see the clouds "materialising" in front of you, which looks all wrong

ngxu_banner.png

Thanks, I'll try that.Ground textures are fantastic though!

ngxu_banner.png

To prevent the 'straight line horizon' syndrome, I just limit the visibility in FSUIPC to 30m - same in ASv6. I found it to be the most realistic setting for myself.

I think it is dependent on what you fly and therefore how high.My favourite aircraft presently is the Level D Boeing 767 and I'm just getting into the the Aeroworx Beech 200 - even the latter seems to have a best cruising altitude of c. FL200 and a visibility of 30 miles looks like you are balancing in a pinhead, let alone FL350 or more in a 767. I'll try your settings in the B200 and see how I go!Thanks

ngxu_banner.png

Guest Peter Wilding

Just a quick pointer,GE PRO has softer horizons by default. The sunny and tropical sky base sets can be used for any amount of cloud cover and both thouse sets have very soft horizons.TIP: Try making a set for all cloud type conditions based on the tropical and sunny sky sets and maybe try some manual changes.You can then get the full advantage of using GE PRO and get the benefit of a darker more moody ground or brighter and sunny ground depending on the weather conditions.In other words GE PRO interacts with METAR information, if desired, to get ground and sky textures matching that specific condition and it makes a big difference to the effectiveness of GE PRO if both sky and ground textures are enabled at the same time.