Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

What's everyone using for weather in XP these days?

So as the title states, whats everyone using for weather these days?  I was a XEnviro user and pretty happy, although some of the latest versions I haven't been happy with and having some graphical issues however.  Plus I have some VR issues.  I switched to SMP with the weather connector which isn't bad, but I don't feel like there's any wind.  With Xenviro I could sense gusts and such and turbulence.  SMP seems to have none of that, not to mention I saw some rain when none was in the forecast for the local area I was flying.  The performance also doesn't seem that great to me on SMP but I may need to tweak a bit.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Im using Ultra Weather XP combined with FS Global real weather.

Pros:

-Gorgeous clouds

-Clouds in distance not compromising performance

-Good wind and weather depiction

-Historical Weather

-Weather Injection is made by .rwx file, so no incompatibilities with 3d party planes or any other plugin that interacts with XP weather system

Cons:

-2D clouds

-Abrupt weather changes when using dynamic weather

-Rotating clouds near the plane

These cons are also present in xenviro, which btw i also have but and do not use, i got tired of constant problems and bugs and the weak or non existing support, and worst, the inability of devs to hear constructive criticism, any non praise in their "support" media ends in a delete or ban, a shame.

Anyway, very happy with this combo and expectant about the already announce active sky coming this year 😉

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

SkyMaxx Pro here, because it gives me the best depiction of lower-altitude clouds for bush plane flying in the mountains. I'm usually never flying above 16,000 feet and often lower on my FSEconomy runs, and this just looks better to me at lower altitudes than other things I've tried like XEnviro. 

I don't use Real Weather Connector even though I own it. With the light to medium GA planes and helicopters I fly, and the areas I like to fly in (Pacific Northwest and UK), real weather is often too windy during part of the year. So I'll download real weather at the start of a flight, back down the winds if I have to, and leave that setting for the entire flight. Most of my FSEconomy flights are 200-300 miles, so it doesn't break realism too much to use the same weather for the flight.

For FSEconomy, I'll often cheat and raise the cloud deck if it means I can't land otherwise, because each flight has to be completed. I still want a taste of real weather though, so this (and the default XP weather) gives me enough control. That's one reason I ditched XEnviro, aside from just not looking that great in the mountains. XEnviro is always real weather all the time, without enough fine-tuning for light aircraft that can't handle current conditions. 

I'm still open to other options, if something better comes along. We still have fairly primitive weather modeling in X-Plane. Maybe it will come from a 3rd party developer, but I suspect that Laminar has to step up to the plate and revamp the underlying weather engine before we can get things like vertical convection in CB's, active 3-dimensional storm fronts, etc.

Edited by Paraffin

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

FSGRW. Works pretty well!

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I'm using default weather and clouds at the moment in XP11. My primary sim is P3D but I really do enjoy X-Plane here and there, it's a solid improving platform. I've been very happy with Active Sky in P3D so I've been waiting to see what they come up with before I decide on what weather program I want to invest in for X-Plane.

• Like 1

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

I use XEnviro primarily as my weather engine and when its not working I use FSGRW with the default clouds as a backup.

With XEnviro I like the way if calculates the correct colors in the sky as well as the winds at all levels.

The clouds as far as I am concern, I know its a work in progress although you can get horizon to horizon coverage as well as low lever stratus clouds. You get a sense of speed when flying thru them which I'm always impress with, especially when doing takeoff's from LAX.  

As far as being concern with towering cumulonimbus or high clouds, if I want to see them, I just go to default if I am in the mode for it. Otherwise I could careless because I know they will find a solution in getting them into XEnviro at some point. My main concern when landing an aircraft is if I'm getting the condition I expecting to see (rain, wind, overcast with turbulence, low visibility) or what ever the weather report I experience at 2000 or 5000.  I am not going to go outside plane, at the point of landing, to measure the height of the clouds or see if they look right when I am trying to focus on landing. That's is something I just don't worry about at the moment.

I just enjoy flying and leave my worries about the next version for later.

Also HiFi Active Sky for X plane is suppose to be coming out later in the year and will be another alternative to have as well.

Bob

36 minutes ago, BobFS88 said:

As far as being concern with towering cumulonimbus or high clouds, if I want to see them, I just go to default if I am in the mode for it. Otherwise I could careless because I know they will find a solution in getting them into XEnviro at some point.

My point about CBs is that it won't matter if XEnviro, or Active Sky or anyone else throws a pretty image of a CB into the sim that looks realistic.

It won't matter, because it won't actually model the dynamics of a CB, including vertical convection, downdrafts, and temperature variation within the system.

For that, we need a full 3D weather model. And also modeling of discrete 3D storm systems, even if they're just interpolated from available METAR instead of current realtime data modeling. CBs and strong weather fronts in the sim should be real dangers that we have to track and avoid where possible, instead of pretty pictures we admire in the distance.

If a 3rd party developer can bring that to the sim, I'll buy it. But I think Laminar might have to build the groundwork for it inside the sim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Using SkyMaxx Pro  for now. 

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Default with NOAA plugin for now but I'm interested in the next version of Xenvio, the new cloud engine looks pretty good from the W.I.P videos.

I was using xenviro, but switched over to FSEnhancer for now because it looks great and lets me chose my own weather 

'FSEnhancer' and the 'Ultimate Mod'.  Not your REX but better than default.

I'm using default weather in 11.25 and I find it rather plausible.

Did use FSGRW and SkyMax, but never really liked either, for this or that reason...

Since we recovered the aloft winds I'm fine with just default.

I do look fwd for ASXP though 🙂

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

FSGRW and UWX. Good performance and plausible weather. My choice.

Skymax: In general very nice but I have to tune settings so much down, it never looks that good on my PC.

Xenviro: Performance is better than Skymax but worse than UWX. Too many new problems with every update.

FSEnhancer for cloud textures and FSGRW as weather engine. Works well.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR