Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

What's everyone using for weather in XP these days?

On 7/8/2018 at 4:55 AM, Ralf Maylin said:

Xenviro: Performance is better than Skymax but worse than UWX. Too many new problems with every update.

That's the reason Im here looking for alternatives.  The first time I installed it (cant remember the version), I was very impressed.  Now it seems very buggy with lots of graphical anomalies.  I may look in to FSGRW and FS Enhancer.  Seems to be popular between this post and others i've read.  

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

I rolled back to Xenviro 1.06 and am happy with it so far. I’ve got most of these addons;

UWXP: alright but very repetitive clouds, the 2D spinning of clouds passing is far more noticeable than other plugins, also have issues with overcast and seeing through it from above, tried the fixes and no good. But the dev is active and takes criticism really well.

X-enviro: the latest is fairly buggy, always had loads of issues with terrain blending/ on the opposite end, 1.06 seems to have next to no issues with the blending?

Skymaxx: pretty reasonable, looks alright but large performance hits. Found it and RWC to be pretty inaccurate with depiction. 

FSGRW/NOAA: FSGRW works amazing, if I had to pick between free NOAA or FSGRW, I’d go FSGRW. It updates repeatedly and predictably. The only downfall is a split second redraw but as far as I’m aware, FSGRW has more stations/interpolation so less drastic of a change.

at the moment xenviro 1.06 seems to be working fine for what I want, which is mostly accurate depictions of fog, IMC etc. UWXP comes up right close but the issue with the clouds constantly turning in front of me and gap of overcast is really limiting it for me. It’s depiction of fog is pretty good though, but the visability mist is a bit exaggerated even on lowest settings. My opinion is that if you can, spring for FSGRW and UWXP. Unless you’ve already bought Xenviro, in which case roll back. I also noticed you mentioned you have SMP, you can tie it and RWC into FSGRW.

Edited by NickJZX

Nick Austin

CXA102-1.jpg

3 hours ago, NickJZX said:

I rolled back to Xenviro 1.06 and am happy with it so far.

Silly question, but how did you roll back? I'd like to do the same, but not found any option of doing so.

5 hours ago, tonywob said:

Silly question, but how did you roll back? I'd like to do the same, but not found any option of doing so.

4 hours late it would appear! Woops!

No worries!

http://www.xenviro.net/update.php

on this page you should see the different versions listed, just download 1.06. I uninstalled the latest one on my system and then installed this. I did have a slight issue with clouds not drawing at first, so i removed the key and then reactivated it, all worked well afterwards!

cheers

Edited by NickJZX

Nick Austin

CXA102-1.jpg

So what options are there for the scrooges, i.e. in terms of freeware?

Is the NOAA plugin even a viable option anymore considering that it's for XP10 and any improvements having been made to the real weather for XP11?

Any cloud textures with better performance than the defaults out there?

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

NOAA and FSE would be your best bet to stay in the freeware section. 

• Upvote 1

Nick Austin

CXA102-1.jpg

18 hours ago, NickJZX said:

I rolled back to Xenviro 1.06 and am happy with it so far. I’ve got most of these addons;

UWXP: alright but very repetitive clouds, the 2D spinning of clouds passing is far more noticeable than other plugins, also have issues with overcast and seeing through it from above, tried the fixes and no good. But the dev is active and takes criticism really well.

X-enviro: the latest is fairly buggy, always had loads of issues with terrain blending/ on the opposite end, 1.06 seems to have next to no issues with the blending?

Skymaxx: pretty reasonable, looks alright but large performance hits. Found it and RWC to be pretty inaccurate with depiction. 

FSGRW/NOAA: FSGRW works amazing, if I had to pick between free NOAA or FSGRW, I’d go FSGRW. It updates repeatedly and predictably. The only downfall is a split second redraw but as far as I’m aware, FSGRW has more stations/interpolation so less drastic of a change.

at the moment xenviro 1.06 seems to be working fine for what I want, which is mostly accurate depictions of fog, IMC etc. UWXP comes up right close but the issue with the clouds constantly turning in front of me and gap of overcast is really limiting it for me. It’s depiction of fog is pretty good though, but the visability mist is a bit exaggerated even on lowest settings. My opinion is that if you can, spring for FSGRW and UWXP. Unless you’ve already bought Xenviro, in which case roll back. I also noticed you mentioned you have SMP, you can tie it and RWC into FSGRW.

I do like Xenviro 1.06 for 2d flying, but it still has issues with VR for me.  I think 1.04 worked best with fly inside but had some other strange issues if I remember.  I think Ill try FSGRW and the SMP combo for a bit and see if I like it.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals