Sign in to follow this  
somiller

api.dll crash, P3Dv4.3 Client only update

18 hours ago, DJJose said:

Just got this error with no CTD:

Log Name:      Application

This error too, doesn't have anything to do with this thread, which is about a crash on exit in API.DLL.

As I've said to the other poster, which also had a crash which wasn't related to this thread (NTDLL.DLL that, after further testing, turned out to be NOT RELATED TO FSDT IN ANY WAY), it would be best if, instead of posting here, you would post about your issue on our forum, opening a new thread, with a proper title, and with a complete description of the problem and how it happened so, just like all other reports, we can check it.

There's at least one add-on, which I won't name here, which caused a crash in Couatl.exe, because was changing the default international settings (locale) of the whole sim (potentially dangerous), when in fact the correct method should have been to change the locale of its own application only.

This made Couatl crashing, without being our fault (it crashed inside a standard library we use) so, I got in touch with the developer, he fixed HIS code, and this prevented the crash. Just an example of a problem that "looks" to be "a Couatl problem", when its not, was caused by another add-on, and was fixed by fixing that one, because the developer was smart enough to recognize the problem in his code.

Edited by virtuali

5 hours ago, virtuali said:

This error too, doesn't have anything to do with this thread, which is about a crash on exit in API.DLL.

There's at least one add-on, which I won't name here, which caused a crash in Couatl.exe, because was changing the default international settings (locale) of the whole sim (potentially dangerous), when in fact the correct method should have been to change the locale of its own application only.

This made Couatl crashing, without being our fault (it crashed inside a standard library we use) so, I got in touch with the developer, he fixed HIS code, and this prevented the crash. Just an example of a problem that "looks" to be "a Couatl problem", when its not, was caused by another add-on, and was fixed by fixing that one, because the developer was smart enough to recognize the problem in his code.

Hi Umberto,

Interesting. However it does not appear to be helping my situation. 

Why? Simply because I have disabled all my Addons (with the exception of SODE and the FSDT Addon Manager), deactivated everything in the DLL.xml and EXE.xml files and the sim is currently running with default scenery.cfg (No ORBX activity) and minimally modified (Graphic Settings) Prepar3D.cfg files. Yet that crash with faulting api.dll error keeps occurring during sim exits.

During testing I have noted that when the Scenery indexes are being built afresh then this crash prevents the creation of the FilelistIndex.dat file. A clean exit with the FSDT Addon Manager inactive resolves this issue.

I appreciate how frustrating this issue must be for you, as it is for me. What diagnostic measures/tools were employed to isolate the issue as described in your previous post? Perhaps a similar approach could be tried here.

Lastly I should say that I had uninstalled the FSDT Addon Manager and SODE before reinstalling (as Administrator and Antivirus disabled), using the latest posted installers. 

Prepar3D v4.3 was updated fully (Client, Content and Scenery) and the sim is stable and is performing very well in every other respect.

Regards,

Mike

55 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Umberto,

Interesting. However it does not appear to be helping my situation. 

Of course it doesn't, since my last remark was related to ANOTHER problem, which doesn't have anything to do with the one discussed here, which is the crash on exit with API.DLL. That's why I keep saying not to post in unrelated threads: it makes impossible to follow them, as in this case.

Why? Simply because I have disabled all my Addons (with the exception of SODE and the FSDT Addon Manager), deactivated everything in the DLL.xml and EXE.xml files and the sim is currently running with default scenery.cfg (No ORBX activity) and minimally modified (Graphic Settings) Prepar3D.cfg files. Yet that crash with faulting api.dll error keeps occurring during sim exits.

As I've said, API.DLL is Simconnect so, even an airplane gauge that use Simconnect, but doesn't have/require a module that you can disable, can cause this, so you are mislead thinking you "disabled everything", but the code is loading just by loading the airplane.

I appreciate how frustrating this issue must be for you, as it is for me. What diagnostic measures/tools were employed to isolate the issue as described in your previous post? Perhaps a similar approach could be tried here.

Since I WAS (I'm not, now), able to reproduce the SILENT (only in the Event Viewer, is THIS what's happening to you ?) API.DLL crash on Exit, I sent it to LM to try, they were able to reproduce it too, and told me where the sim was crashing, which allowed me to find the problem in my code.

After the fix, everybody that had this problem, both on LM forum and on our forum too, confirmed it was fixed. You are the only one that says otherwise, which is why I'm quite convinced it must be something else.

Hello Umberto,

2 hours ago, virtuali said:

Since I WAS (I'm not, now), able to reproduce the SILENT (only in the Event Viewer, is THIS what's happening to you ?) API.DLL crash on Exit, I sent it to LM to try, they were able to reproduce it too, and told me where the sim was crashing, which allowed me to find the problem in my code.

After the fix, everybody that had this problem, both on LM forum and on our forum too, confirmed it was fixed. You are the only one that says otherwise, which is why I'm quite convinced it must be something else.

When was the Addon Mgr. issue fixed -regarding the api.dll?

I ask because I had no api.dll  issues with my new puter build -built late Feb 2018 and with just your LAX installed (also installed around the time the computer was put together) until around the time I installed your Vegas airport in mid May.

-thanks

9 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

When was the Addon Mgr. issue fixed -regarding the api.dll?

May 22th

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html

However, if you installed something before that date, and haven't updated (or updated after the fix) it's possible you would never see the problem, it appeared only when we made some additions to the software which will be required only by KORD V2 and GSX Level 2, so it wasn't always there, it only started to appear after a certain date, most likely around March/April.

7 minutes ago, virtuali said:

May 22th

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html

However, if you installed something before that date, and haven't updated (or updated after the fix) it's possible you would never see the problem, it appeared only when we made some additions to the software which will be required only by KORD V2 and GSX Level 2, so it wasn't always there, it only started to appear after a certain date, most likely around March/April.

Ah Ha!  It is you!!!!  See, just my luck, you fixed it for the masses at my expense. <-----just a guess

Anyway, I hope you see something down the road that you can share that will help me solve my api.dll issue.

...I can live with the api.dll issue but not LAX. 🙂

-Thanks

Hi Umberto,

I refer you to post #16 in the api.dll thread marked *SOLVED* over at the FSDT forum where I described in detail how the sim is crashing. In that post I included several images, one of which answers your question. No, the crash is not silent and never has been.

With respect, I think you are forgetting those users who posted in that thread and, because the fix did not work for them, decided the only “solution” was to uninstall GSX/FSDT Addon Manager meantime in the hope an effective resolution can be found eventually.

You appear convinced that this is a Simconnect issue, possibly involving an a/c gauge. If this is true then why is this happening while using default aircraft? Somehow that does seem unlikely in my case.

Is there any way that the cause can be tracked down or will I have to throw in the towel and join those who have gone before me? Don’t misunderstand me, I do want to continue using GSX, which is a great product, but faced with this constant intransigence and unwillingness to try to help is really quite wearing and at some point I may have to concede enough is enough.

Regards,

Mike

57 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Umberto,

I refer you to post #16 in the api.dll thread marked *SOLVED* over at the FSDT forum where I described in detail how the sim is crashing. In that post I included several images, one of which answers your question. No, the crash is not silent and never has been.

Then it's possibly not the crash we fixed, and it's not necessarily caused by our software. I obviously took the time to verify your claim that you always get a crash after pressing "ESC" then "Exit", and posted a video on our forum, showing the crash doesn't happen.

With respect, I think you are forgetting those users who posted in that thread and, because the fix did not work for them, decided the only “solution” was to uninstall GSX/FSDT Addon Manager meantime in the hope an effective resolution can be found eventually.

There's only ONE other user (Sabretooth78) that says he has a crash on API.DLL when exiting but, there's no evidence of what other software he use or whether he has disabled all addons, which means there's no evidence his crash is the same that we fixed. 

Another user (413x3) *USED* to have crashes on exit, now only complains about general instability of his system (again, no evidence this is *caused* by our software), and he said he has NO crash on exit.

Again, I can only repeat and confirm the "silent API.DLL crash on Exit" IS fixed in the last update. And, I cannot replicate any other API.DLL crash so far.

Maybe, we might have a Teamviewer session, so I could check your system directly, trying to understand what is so specific of your system only is causing it, which is maybe shared by the only other user that still have it, after the fix. In fact, I already offered you a Teamviewer session so why, instead of just doing it, you keep posting here, when I also asked you to continue on the FSDT forum ?

Edited by virtuali

1 hour ago, FunknNasty said:

Ah Ha!  It is you!!!!  See, just my luck, you fixed it for the masses at my expense. <-----just a guess

As I've said, the problem has been fixed since May 22th so, if you ran the FSDT Live Update after that day, and if you still have it, it's not necessarily the same problem, and it's not necessarily caused by our software.

Try to disable each and every 3rd party module BOTH in the Options->Addons menu AND in the 4 DLL/EXE.XML files in BOTH locations (%APPDATA% and %PROGRAMDATA%), leaving only the Addon Manager enabled, and see if you still have the crash.

If you have, please don't post here. Post on the FSDT forum, or send me a PM *THERE*, so we might eventually arrange a Teamviewer session, so I could have a look at your system, check if you really disabled all the other addons, and see if there's something special in your system which is causing this problem.

Again, please do not reply here, it's totally useless, since we'll have to arrange a TM session on the FSDT forum anyway.

I obviously took the time to verify your claim that you always get a crash after pressing "ESC" then "Exit"

Hi Umberto,

Please point me to the post where I made that claim. To my knowledge I never made such a statement. Perhaps you are confusing me with another poster? 

I described three exit scenarios: End Scenario, Exit and ‘X’. Never in my years if simming have I used the ‘ESC’ key as a means to leave the running sim. Perhaps selecting End Scenario is equivalent to hitting the ‘ESC’ key?

Mike

On 7/11/2018 at 2:43 PM, virtuali said:

As I've said, the problem has been fixed since May 22th so, if you ran the FSDT Live Update after that day, and if you still have it, it's not necessarily the same problem, and it's not necessarily caused by our software.

Why no api.dll  error in log when I disable the FSDT add-on manager?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

12 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Why no api.dll  error in log when I disable the FSDT add-on manager?

Either you don't have the latest update, or you haven't disabled all the other addons, since it's possible you are experiencing a DIFFERENT API.DLL crash on Exit, one that only happens if the Addon Manager is used together with another addon so, you are mislead thinking the Addon Manager is the cause, but the real cause is the conflict between those two.

The only way you could possibly say it's "caused" by the Addon Manager, is if it still happens with ALL other modules DISABLED and in that, case, I would like to have a look at your system.

See this recent post on our forum by user 413x3, he was too absolutely convinced, just like you, the problem disappeared when he disabled the Addon Manager, because he first posted this:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,17829.msg126177.html#msg126177

Like last time I had crashes, removing GSX and all FSDT products my P3D 4.2 was stable able to fly 2-3 long hauls without ever quitting the sim.

Then he posted this:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,17829.msg126511.html#msg126511

I installed P3D 4.3 from scratch and lowered the autogen radius slider from the max and have not had a crash. I read posts on avsim about the autogen slider causing Nvidia device hung messages. The crash on exit was fixed in 4.3 and auto updating gsx. Thank you Virtuali.

Another clear case of issues mistakenly associated with the FSDT Addon Manager, which turned out to be not the case, as usual. When the issues ARE caused by the FSDT Addon Manager, we can easily reproduce them, and we always FIX them.

On 7/11/2018 at 10:43 PM, Cruachan said:

Perhaps selecting End Scenario is equivalent to hitting the ‘ESC’ key?

Have you ever had a closer look at the "End Scenario" menu option ?

Thanks Umberto for your insight.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

1 minute ago, DJJose said:

Thanks Umberto for your insight.

Two questions:

- do you use Windows 7 ?

- do you have multiple screens ? If yes, are the connected to the same card, or you have more than one video card ?

Edited by virtuali