Sign in to follow this  
dbw1

Totally Frustrated: P3dV4.3 hanging up at start up

36 hours ago while adding scenery from a large producer we all know and buy from something went strange during the scenery install and the install hung at 99%. 

I left it like that for the better part of an hour thinking something complicated was being done. When the situation didn't progress and I figured it was stalled I rebooted the computer. I have been unable to get P3dV4.3 not to hang up during start since then.

I have spent 6 plus hours - probably closer to 10 - trying everything I can find on several different forums including that of LM. Unsuccessfully.

I am ready to throw in the towel, blow off my 300+ gigs of 4.3 and start again....except...I think due to the fact other people are having the same, similar or related problems with 4.3....I am reluctant to invest the time (it will be weeks) to rebuild 4.3 and may wait till a patch or 4.4 comes out.

Anyone else as frustrated as I am?

Dave

Can you move all your P3Dv4 Addons from the (addon directory in Documents) to some other directory.  Run P3Dv4 with no addons (Have the Prepar3d v4 Add-ons directory empty).  Then add one by one or few at a time in the Addon directory.  And see which one is hanging up.

Now, I am not saying to uninstall anything.  I am talking about C:\Users\<Your UserName>\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons directory.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Hi Skywolf. I've tried that and as I type this am trying again. I moved the folder again out of 4.3 and  ran the delete generated files... Currently trying to start and it's hung up at 96% Generating scenery file indexes.. It's been stopped there for 15 minutes now and I am going to give it more time to see what happens (this time). Thanks for the suggestion though. Most appreciated.

Dave

If your pc is Overclocked.  Set it to default speed/settings and then try running 4.3.  This is all as a test to find out on what is causing 4.3 to hang

Edited by Skywolf

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

May I suggest a complete removal of P3D and a complete new install. There's some inherent problem in your basic installation. I would start over clean. I recommend the Poppet installation threads here and at LMs website. It takes patience, but I think you will wind up with a better installation overall.

• Like 1

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Actually on your downloaded P3D installation zip file.  Did you a md5 checksum check.  There are simple programs to do so.  LM provides their md5.  If by a chance there is some corruption in the files.  The p3d install will not run properly.  

Have you tried deleting your scenery.cfg file and letting it rebuild?

Also assuming you're talking about Orbx - have you run FTX central and tried migrating again?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

4.3 was running great till loading the last piece of scenery the other night. Honestly for me I think it is the best I have ever seen P3d run. Till then....

My machine is not over clocked. Performance has been fine with the stock settings.

One thing that is interesting my scenery.cft will not rebuild when I rename the existing one (.off) and restart. Also it show as being totally empty - nothing in it. Also, as to type of file - it shows as ".symlink". I'm hoping I am messing with the correct scenery.cfg. No one will ever accuse me of being the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to computers....

In the event I do a complete install again could someone point me to reference material how to do an un-install properly? Also, a re-install? I may be inadvertently doing something not the best way and would like to get it totally right the next time.

Many thanks.

Dave

Dave - the other P3D forum here - Tips n Tricks has an excellent tutorial by Poppet on uninstall/reinstall.

Sorry but it sounds like you are in over your head with the piece by piece debugging steps. I expect you will eventually wind up having to do the reinstall anyway.

First thing I would do is UNINSTALL that last scenery and see if that fixes it.

If not, bite the bullet and follow Poppet's guide and just uninstall and reinstall P3D.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

34 minutes ago, dbw1 said:

4.3 was running great till loading the last piece of scenery the other night. Honestly for me I think it is the best I have ever seen P3d run. Till then....

My machine is not over clocked. Performance has been fine with the stock settings.

One thing that is interesting my scenery.cft will not rebuild when I rename the existing one (.off) and restart. Also it show as being totally empty - nothing in it. Also, as to type of file - it shows as ".symlink". I'm hoping I am messing with the correct scenery.cfg. No one will ever accuse me of being the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to computers....

In the event I do a complete install again could someone point me to reference material how to do an un-install properly? Also, a re-install? I may be inadvertently doing something not the best way and would like to get it totally right the next time.

Many thanks.

Dave

Make sure it's the right scenery.cfg file. Maybe it's because I've have so many Sims on my computer over the years but I want to say I've seen more than one lurking around but not being used.  I just had this same thing happen to me a couple days ago and I had to manually remove the last installed scenery.

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\scenery.cfg

Edited by thibodba57

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

My was the same way until I removed FSLABS  A320X

Edited by Manny Ortiz

Cheers, Manny Ortiz

If you need to reinstall again , buy a 1TB hard drive for back up only and then back up in stages as you install it all over again so that way if the last scenery causes problems you can recover back to 75% or whatever install and go again from there instead of doing the lot.

A back up program compresses my 300g to 120g and takes all of 15-20 minutes. plus saved my butt countless times.

best of luck!

ZORAN

Hello @ll,

please note that P3D V4.3 can get into trouble with invalid or simply empty scenery paths. This is a new behavior of the sim, but it is definitely there - the sim crashes when accessing invalid or empty scenery areas - mostly while rebuilding the scenery index.

So before you start a full uninstall and reinstall (which will not cure the problem anyway if it is a broken path in an add-on.xml), make sure that your scenery paths are intact and don't point nowhere.

See this thread where the issue has been tracked down:

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

7 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

Hello @ll,

please note that P3D V4.3 can get into trouble with invalid or simply empty scenery paths. This is a new behavior of the sim, but it is definitely there - the sim crashes when accessing invalid or empty scenery areas - mostly while rebuilding the scenery index.

So before you start a full uninstall and reinstall (which will not cure the problem anyway if it is a broken path in an add-on.xml), make sure that your scenery paths are intact and don't point nowhere.

See this thread where the issue has been tracked down:

Best regards

100% agree with Lorby.  I faced this problem when I was playing around with my addons in the addon directory.