Sign in to follow this  
HawkDsl

Bug List

Milton Shupe's "flight model" is an order of magnitude more accurate that Carenado's.  Sounds as well.  INR pilots of the D18S talk about dumping lift on touchdown by pushing forward on the yoke to prevent bounce.  They mention the saying "bounce 5 times and over.)  Relating to that, it seems most accidents on landing are touching down at too high a speed.

In addition to other bugs, I found that when starting up for cold and dark, sometimes the switches on the switch panel don't work unless you touch the panel from the virtual cockpit first.  similarly, when first accessing the fuel switches in the engine control panel, the mouse pointer actually operates the throttle.  

I have flown Milt's D18 for several years.    I guess I only bought Carenado for the cockpit graphic rendering.  My bad. 

I'm not going to insert Milt's sound set into the Carenado plane.  I have to much respect for his work.

In my opinion, the plane was not ready for prime time.  It's like it was a rush job.

-Jim

5 minutes ago, jb44mag said:

Milton Shupe's "flight model" is an order of magnitude more accurate that Carenado's.  Sounds as well.  INR pilots of the D18S talk about dumping lift on touchdown by pushing forward on the yoke to prevent bounce.  They mention the saying "bounce 5 times and over.)  Relating to that, it seems most accidents on landing are touching down at too high a speed.

In addition to other bugs, I found that when starting up for cold and dark, sometimes the switches on the switch panel don't work unless you touch the panel from the virtual cockpit first.  similarly, when first accessing the fuel switches in the engine control panel, the mouse pointer actually operates the throttle.  

I have flown Milt's D18 for several years.    I guess I only bought Carenado for the cockpit graphic rendering.  My bad. 

I'm not going to insert Milt's sound set into the Carenado plane.  I have to much respect for his work.

In my opinion, the plane was not ready for prime time.  It's like it was a rush job.

-Jim

I used his flight model on the Carenado Beech 18 or atleast parts of it, aswell as the sounds,it makes the carenado plane a good flyer. I love his work but sadly his beech 18s VC is really dated now.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

4 minutes ago, jb44mag said:

INR pilots of the D18S talk about dumping lift on touchdown by pushing forward on the yoke to prevent bounce.  They mention the saying "bounce 5 times and over.)  Relating to that, it seems most accidents on landing are touching down at too high a speed.

The pushing forward part is hard to do smoothly. The big muscles in your arm aren't very precise, but the fine muscles in your fingers aren't quite strong enough to do it. So the trick is to add a touch of nose down trim on short final. Then, when the wheels touch you just relax your back pressure on the yoke and she pins herself to the deck. So, like many other situations, if you just let the aircraft handle it, it works out fine.

That said, if you're going to use brakes, then you definitely want to put weight on the wheels by pushing forward some after a smooth touchdown.

PIO can create problems in an aircraft with a training wheel on the front, too. As you point out, it's usually because the aircraft is too fast and the pilot tries to force it on to the runway. 

• Like 1

Good one!

Years ago I saw one, also in AOPA Pilot I believe, titled Big Red. I'll see if I can find it.

On 7/9/2018 at 6:19 PM, tailspin45 said:

The pushing forward part is hard to do smoothly. The big muscles in your arm aren't very precise, but the fine muscles in your fingers aren't quite strong enough to do it. So the trick is to add a touch of nose down trim on short final. Then, when the wheels touch you just relax your back pressure on the yoke and she pins herself to the deck. So, like many other situations, if you just let the aircraft handle it, it works out fine.

That said, if you're going to use brakes, then you definitely want to put weight on the wheels by pushing forward some after a smooth touchdown.

PIO can create problems in an aircraft with a training wheel on the front, too. As you point out, it's usually because the aircraft is too fast and the pilot tries to force it on to the runway. 

Great advice that could only come from someone who has been there!

now on v1.1

Still in:

instrument lights respond despite inst light master being off
oil bypass switches do nothing with oil pressure/temps
oil shut off switches do nothing with oil pressure/temps
oil shutter switchers do nothing with oil pressure/temps
cowl flaps do with oil pressure/temps and cyl temps
AP turn is hardly coordinated
although the sounds are off from real life examples, I still kinda like them though...

vafs_status.php?cs=AMA141&c=1&w=1

Another bug?  I believe the real D18 does NOT have a steerable tail wheel.  Instead the real plane has a 360 degree caster.  I could be wrong.  Carenado's has a steerable tail wheel.

-Jim

53 minutes ago, jb44mag said:

Another bug?  I believe the real D18 does NOT have a steerable tail wheel.  Instead the real plane has a 360 degree caster.  I could be wrong.  Carenado's has a steerable tail wheel.

-Jim

Have you tried changing it in the [contact_points] section?  Seems easy enough.

Under point.0, the eight parameter is set to 35.  Change that to 180 and you should have 360 degree caster.

--WH

1 hour ago, jb44mag said:

Apparently the did it on purpose under the assumption that people wouldn't have rudders pedals or multiple throttles. Nevermind that no Model 18 in its long history ever flew with a steerable tailwheel. Seems to me that's a slippery slope, designing for the lowest common denominator. Seems to me a better solution would be to make it a configuration option. Anyway, WH has the solution.

Edited by tailspin45

Changing the parameter on the tail wheel as I mentioned works just dandy.  Nice suggestion for a little more touch of realism.  :tongue:

So the Navy livery is bothering me with only one engine cowl having black paint on it.  Was this just a mistake or an accurate representation?  I'm not a painter but really hoping to see some nice repaints soon

My first Navy training flights were in a UC-45J. The inboard upper quadrants of both engines were black.  Sadly my picture doesn't answer the question,  but there are plenty online that indicate the Carenado texture needs to be fixed.

UC-45J.jpg

Note that there's a weird moving shadow on the right wing (shown below) and on the tail, too. Not sure how the shadow textures work, but the one on the tail (not shown here) was clearly the engine nacelle and prop dome.

1-2018-7-6_15-36-45-454.jpg

Edited by tailspin45