Sign in to follow this  
tailspin45

Poor sounds and flight model?

Thanks for your insight Tailspin, and for saving me the money...

A

10 hours ago, tailspin45 said:

I've accumulated about ten hours in 6DS, and my impression so far is that the bird is like some people: great to look at but screwed up inside.

And that is why I have given up on buying products from Carenado / Alabeo.

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Disappointing to hear the negative feedback, but must say I am not surprised. I own quite a few Carenado planes, and don't fly any of them anymore, though some of them are among my favourite aircraft, and generally they look great. After discovering A2A, Realair and PMDG, flying any of which make you feel as if you are in a real aircraft (cockpit vibrations, realistic sounds, complete systems functionality, accurate flight dynamics...), being in a Carenado virtual cockpit just feels dead. For example, I was really excited a few years ago when Carenado released their PA-31, one of my favourite twins. I flew it for awhile but the lack of realism and immersion made me quit several months ago. The Aero Commander has always been another favourite twin, and when I saw the Carenado announcement I was ready to buy, but remembered my disappointment with the PA31, and went back to the Realair Duke. Now here is the Beech 18, probably my favourite aircraft of all time. But past experience tells me to pass. I have to say that currently my favourite large twin piston plane is the freeware DC3 by Manfred Jahn. Nearly PMDG quality!

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

9 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

my favourite large twin piston plane is the freeware DC3 by Manfred Jahn. Nearly PMDG quality!

Mine too! Jan Visser's vintage virtual cockpit is stunning. I have to confess, though, that I played a minor role in the development of the C-47V3, so I'm a little prejudiced. Among other small contributions, my voice is the copilot's, my wife is the saucy stewardess.

Keep an eye on wing42.com and their early release Lockheed Vega. They're doing some very deep research and modeling on systems and it promises to be something special. Here's a shot I took a couple of days ago at Felts Field in Spokane. ORBX did a great job with KSFF and I really love the art deco terminal building and clock.

01-2018-7-1_14-54-28-279.jpg

Just received a reply from Carenado saying

Thank you for your valuable feedback.
We'll fix it for the next version to be released soon.

In the meantime, I renamed the sound file and dropped in the one from Shupe's Model 18 and have been playing with the CFG file.

I doubled the MOI for pitch, roll, and yaw and decreased the control effectiveness to 0.9 and it feels much better. 

BUT now it seems to want to leap into the air at 40kts in some circumstances and it won't maintain altitude on one engine.

I've never fiddled with an AIR file before, but looks like it's time. Yes, I know, it's a black art, but... 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, AviatorMan said:

Disappointing to hear the negative feedback, but must say I am not surprised. I own quite a few Carenado planes, and don't fly any of them anymore, though some of them are among my favourite aircraft, and generally they look great. After discovering A2A, Realair and PMDG, flying any of which make you feel as if you are in a real aircraft (cockpit vibrations, realistic sounds, complete systems functionality, accurate flight dynamics...), being in a Carenado virtual cockpit just feels dead. For example, I was really excited a few years ago when Carenado released their PA-31, one of my favourite twins. I flew it for awhile but the lack of realism and immersion made me quit several months ago. The Aero Commander has always been another favourite twin, and when I saw the Carenado announcement I was ready to buy, but remembered my disappointment with the PA31, and went back to the Realair Duke. Now here is the Beech 18, probably my favourite aircraft of all time. But past experience tells me to pass. I have to say that currently my favourite large twin piston plane is the freeware DC3 by Manfred Jahn. Nearly PMDG quality!

hI, how about the PA31-310 carenado, its a good plane, good FDE, poor sound, poor documentation, few bugs but its a solid release after the v1.1 some real pilots make a review and confirm that the plane fly well, .......... now...... Whamill77...... took this plane from my graveyard and put in my hangar for the only one TWIN PISTON that currently fly, (waiting some day for the 601P A2A)

Those Mods of Bill, make the PA31 bright as twin, every system, engine handling, FDE, that he make for this plane simply its FANTASTIC, aaaannnnddd the sound that he share for the plane is the real sound, Apart, Bill have RL experience in the "Navajo" so..... have materials, POH, and some stuff to get a solid makeover of the Navajo. Highly recommend it.....

Redgars

RB

On 7/10/2018 at 8:33 AM, RobertBernardK said:

hI, how about the PA31-310 carenado, its a good plane, good FDE, poor sound, poor documentation, few bugs but its a solid release after the v1.1 some real pilots make a review and confirm that the plane fly well, .......... now...... Whamill77...... took this plane from my graveyard and put in my hangar for the only one TWIN PISTON that currently fly, (waiting some day for the 601P A2A)

Those Mods of Bill, make the PA31 bright as twin, every system, engine handling, FDE, that he make for this plane simply its FANTASTIC, aaaannnnddd the sound that he share for the plane is the real sound, Apart, Bill have RL experience in the "Navajo" so..... have materials, POH, and some stuff to get a solid makeover of the Navajo. Highly recommend it.....

Redgars

RB

Thanks for the recommendations; will give the PA31 another chance.

• Upvote 1

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Some sample sounds in little video I made a few years ago, air to air shot from our SNJ. All the sounds are recording of real airplanes unmodified, but I took a lot of liberties where I put them when I edited these clips. I think they're all sounds recorded on the ramp of fly-bys. None were recorded in the air. Apologies for the terrible compressed video artifacts and awful unsteady camera.

Edited by tailspin45