Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

B747-8 Beta PIREP

This evening, after returning from feeding the trolly-dolly, I settled in for a bit of testing.  In initial flight test, I find repeated short segments wholly the best way to explore all the nuances of flight modes, and since I am flying electrons, no one really seems to mind that my toasters move a few hundred miles, instead of the normal few thousand.  I decided to poke the sleeping beast, in my own back yard- TPA to ATL would do nicely this evening.

Here we are trundling out to depart 01R. 

06aW78H.jpg

The whine, including the spool up and down is decidedly unlike the Rollers I am used to, but intoxicating nonetheless.  The airport map on the ND was a nice addition and added to our SA greatly.

wNBshTw.jpg

With her greater length I keep reminding myself to overshoot the B pillar before tillering over instead of as soon as it touches the centerline as in the 744.  With a modicum of caution, we managed to line up without taking out any edge lighting. 

YUOUSHN.jpg

At least that bit was over without tea and biscuits with RSR (horrible tea and soggy biscuits btw).

Advancing the thrust levers, we accelerated smartly at our light weight, and with a long pull on the yoke we rotated to fly off.  Once airborne, I let her have her head, and pulled the nose up to keep from busting flap speeds- this isn’t Cardiff, and she’s not a -436, but just look at the performance!

U6g7gjr.jpg

Climb and cruise was non eventful and I spent the time working through EICAS pages and exploring the EFB (more to come on that I’m sure).  The ECLs were a welcome addition and all too soon I was self briefing for the arrival.  Weather in the Atlanta area was absolute crap, with CBs everywhere on the ND.

2lV8ZhT.jpg

I kept working off the Magenta trying to thread the needle, but we were getting bounced around well enough for me to put down my Darjeeling, and sit up straight.  That’s when I went outside for a peek at this new wing.  What I saw prompted this article.

Take a look at the next two pictures- Wing flap has reached new levels of articulation. 

xGo6WNt.jpg

There are no visible points on the curve.  The flap articulates along the span, with the delay of momentum, resulting in proportional up and down movement from fuselage center to wing tip.  It is something to behold and captivating enough, that for one brief moment I was passenger and not pilot- I could not tear away, back to the VC. 

MhP2xN0.jpg

The fuselage moved, the wide chord section moved more and the tips even more- without any hard points.  The visual was that of an aircraft wing in flex, without any of the dilution of computerized simulation.  The fuselage moved up and down at one rate, the wing tips completely at another, and the transition between the two absolutely seamless- I’m not sure what they did this time- but I can’t wait for you to see it- BRILLIANT!

As suddenly as the Wx had deteriorated, we were out of it and establishing- Atlanta lay directly ahead.

cXUwXUR.jpg

She painted onto the asphalt very predictably and we taxied in whilst marveling at how far this airframe has come.  Joe and his Incredibles started what the 747-8 delivers all these many years later.  Who knew?

More to come....

C

Edited by lasnubes
  • Like 17
  • Upvote 5

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Great, Carl!!! thanks for sharing!!!

cheers

-E

Enrique Vaamonde

Outstanding

Michael Chandler

Is this livery a nod to CaptainJoe?

• Upvote 1

i7 3770K HT, 8GB RAM, nVidia 980GTX, Win7, P3D 3.4, FSG mesh, UTX, GEX, ST, ASA16/ASCA, NickN optimized

6 hours ago, lasnubes said:

Joe and his Incredibles

32 minutes ago, beachdog2001 said:

Is this livery a nod to CaptainJoe?

He means Joe Sutter... The „father of the 747“. 

I mean YouTube CaptainJoe actually.

i7 3770K HT, 8GB RAM, nVidia 980GTX, Win7, P3D 3.4, FSG mesh, UTX, GEX, ST, ASA16/ASCA, NickN optimized

What ATL scenery is that?

Great shots btw.

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

“Joe and his Incredibles” refers to Joe Sutter indeed. The ATL Scenery is from ImagineSim.

BTW- click on the pics for full 4K.

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

CaptainJoe just started flying for Cargolux is what I meant, not Joe and his Incredibles.

On 7/8/2018 at 9:46 PM, beachdog2001 said:

CaptainJoe just started flying for Cargolux is what I meant, not Joe and his Incredibles.

Yes, there are several former Air Berlin pilots who had to look for a new employer... 

Please NOTE- these images are from the BETA and therefore may not represent the final product. THIS IS A WORK-IN-PROGRESS.

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Nice, looking forward to this bird...

spacer.png