Sign in to follow this  
nighthawk65

V4.3 Native VR and FPS Limiter

I have built a new machine and have done a series of testing with default and with 3rd party add-ons... Additional testing has been done with multiple hardware scenarios ranging from HT enables disables, FPS limit or unlimited etc.  The one thing that I found consistently, was when I limit my P3D I can keep stable frames and smoothness... Without the frames are high for a while, but slowly dwindle from 40's-60's down to single digits, no matter what scenario I do...  I have flyinside, and have yet to do testing with, but I tried a 4+hr flight that I have done many times with no issue with P3D 4.3 native VR.  FPS started in +30-45 and by the end was in single digits.  Is there a way to limit the FPS when in VR mode, without using the native limiter.  I have found best to use the NI limiter, as it has had better results????

V/R
Kris 

2 hours ago, nighthawk65 said:

I have built a new machine and have done a series of testing with default and with 3rd party add-ons... Additional testing has been done with multiple hardware scenarios ranging from HT enables disables, FPS limit or unlimited etc.  The one thing that I found consistently, was when I limit my P3D I can keep stable frames and smoothness... Without the frames are high for a while, but slowly dwindle from 40's-60's down to single digits, no matter what scenario I do...  I have flyinside, and have yet to do testing with, but I tried a 4+hr flight that I have done many times with no issue with P3D 4.3 native VR.  FPS started in +30-45 and by the end was in single digits.  Is there a way to limit the FPS when in VR mode, without using the native limiter.  I have found best to use the NI limiter, as it has had better results????

V/R
Kris 

When running in VR you’ll want to run unlimited and no Vsync. If you can’t maintain 90 FPS which no one can in P3D it will drop to 45 and if you can’t hold >45 it will drop to 30 then 22 1/2 if you can’t hold 30 that how it works with VR and the Oculus Rift. Basically it drives its own Vsync to the HMD ideally 90 FPS (which I can only achieve with Aerofly) or down multiples of it and if you miss the cutoff it drops to the next lower. You can activate the performance hud display with the debug tool and see this real time.

Additionally after I open Oculus Home I use the Oculus Debug Tool and open it and disable ASW I find it runs better without it. I also set Pixel Density to 1.7 because my System can handle it. Also I use Single Pass Rendering because I can’t really see a big difference and the frames are much better.

Flyinside uses its own rendering approach and needs at least 30 FPS to perform well because it up lifts 30 to 90 through its “magic” where Native VR takes 45 to 90. 

Bottom line unlimited, no Vsync, no external limiters and I find ASW disabled better (I use the debug tool to set this and PD). The increased PD makes things much crisper and I limit in game AA to 4xMSAA at most and of course watch out how much eye candy you add. I have settings dialed down for VR vs my 4K monitor and just save different graphics profiles.

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2