Sign in to follow this  
bburkley

PMDG DC-6 X-Plane 11 Manual Install

Hi Everyone,

Going to preface this with YES, I know the PMDG DC-6 is currently not compatible with XP11. However, I decided to purchase this plane after Randazzo's 13 June 2018 update knowing this will be supported sometime in the future.

For now, I would like to at least try this plane out in XP11, as I know many people have based on forum discussion and YouTube videos I've come across.

I do not have a copy of XP10.

The installer package I downloaded does not work for XP11 installations.

Is there a way to extract the files from the installer package (I'm on a Mac btw), in order to install this manually into XP11 without having XP10 installed?

I've searched this forum up and down and can't seem to find a specific answer to this.

Thanks for your help.

Brandon Burkley

Brandon Burkley

Don't know if possible with earlier versions of XP11, maybe 11.02 or 11.05? when DC-6 was able to load without the tricks needed in later versions. You may try to install a fresh copy of XP11 with your original discs if those are earlier versions and not updating the sim, not sure if possible with digital copy of XP11.

Good luck.

Alexander Colka

5 hours ago, alexcolka said:

Don't know if possible with earlier versions of XP11, maybe 11.02 or 11.05? when DC-6 was able to load without the tricks needed in later versions. You may try to install a fresh copy of XP11 with your original discs if those are earlier versions and not updating the sim, not sure if possible with digital copy of XP11.

Good luck.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I only have the digital copy of XP11 so not sure if I would be able to have access to those earlier versions? Have you tried this with earlier versions of XP11?

Another idea I had was creating a folder hierarchy identical to XP10 in order to trick the installer package that I have an XP10 installation, however, I don't know what the XP10 folder hierarchy looks like. Also, this is an entirely baseless idea of mine and will probably end with the same installer error as before.

Any other workarounds? Is it possible to unwrap the installer package to view and copy the assets over to my XP11 aircraft folder? Not sure if there's a utility for this. Just curious if anyone else has had any luck?

Thanks!

Brandon Burkley

Brandon Burkley

55 minutes ago, brandonburkley said:

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I only have the digital copy of XP11 so not sure if I would be able to have access to those earlier versions? Have you tried this with earlier versions of XP11?

Another idea I had was creating a folder hierarchy identical to XP10 in order to trick the installer package that I have an XP10 installation, however, I don't know what the XP10 folder hierarchy looks like. Also, this is an entirely baseless idea of mine and will probably end with the same installer error as before.

Any other workarounds? Is it possible to unwrap the installer package to view and copy the assets over to my XP11 aircraft folder? Not sure if there's a utility for this. Just curious if anyone else has had any luck?

Thanks!

Brandon Burkley

Hi Brandon,

I did it with an earlier version however don't remember if 11.02 or 11.05 on those days (more than a year ago I guess), the installer went fine, I have a digital copy too so I guess that there is no other way around right now other than having XP10 or wait for the official update soon, don't know about wrapped packages, sorry.

Edited by alexcolka

Alexander Colka

On 7/9/2018 at 10:54 PM, alexcolka said:

Hi Brandon,

I did it with an earlier version however don't remember if 11.02 or 11.05 on those days (more than a year ago I guess), the installer went fine, I have a digital copy too so I guess that there is no other way around right now other than having XP10 or wait for the official update soon, don't know about wrapped packages, sorry.

Hey Alex,

Thanks again for the info. I actually found a solution! I found a client called "Pacifist" where you're able to observe and extract files within .PKG files. I think there's a terminal command to do this as well, but this was easier. 

So now I have all the DC-6 aircraft files, and I'm able to at least give this thing a try in the latest version of XP11. I know several things will likely be broken but just wanted to at least see this beautiful beast before the official update from PMDG for XP11.

I know several other users out there on Avsim, X-Plane.org and other forums have had the same question here so let this be a temporary solution!

I'm traveling at the moment but I'll report back when I'm back home on the Sim.

Thanks again!

Brandon Burkley