Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

The Swire Group at work- HONG KONG TRADER pushing now!

16 minutes ago, Murawski said:

or would it still display if you were flying over an airport and zoom in?

The airport has to be either the ORIG or DEST to be displayed in the ND.

Dan Downs KCRP

7 hours ago, Olympic260 said:

The default scenery will be included.for 3rd party you will need to scan the sim to read them.The scan will be needed each time you add or remove a 3rd party scenery.

That‘s a great automated solution! No manual „search and instal“. Thanks a lot!!

-double post-

Edited by Ephedrin

Even in operation, this airframe might well be the best mix of automation and manual flows yet! She’s smart enough to keep up technologically with the likes of the 77W, 787 and 737Max, but she keeps all the resident charm of the 744 series. A quite enchanting combination.

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Been there, done that!  Look forward to seeing it in either Atlas or Polar livery!

David Rosenblum

Atlas Air Boeing 767 Captain; previously a Boeing 747-400/-8 First Officer

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals

4 hours ago, lasnubes said:

Even in operation, this airframe might well be the best mix of automation and manual flows yet! She’s smart enough to keep up technologically with the likes of the 77W, 787 and 737Max, but she keeps all the resident charm of the 744 series. A quite enchanting combination.

C

Hey Carl,

How has the overall stability and function been?  Is this bird ready to fly?

She’s in Beta. As a lowly Company “B” Flight Check Captain I don’t make such assessments.

Fortunately at PMDG we have many more exalted personalities that are tasked with those decisions. Then there’s the Lord High Executioner... but that’s a story for another day.

I mostly try to shut up and fly 🙂

C

PS- as obvious, sometimes I fail to shut up 😉

Edited by lasnubes

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

The 748i is an absolute dream to fly manually! I would have a field day doing Cessna type VFR roam flying in it under manual control. In the short time I tested her today, I hand flew her as much as I practically could. I had no problems flying with autothrottle and autopilot disengaged on the Approach in VMC and low workload conditions.

I needed to do a few base circuits to get used to her as she is her own character because as Carl says, this bird is a mix of old and new. She is strangely familiar, but also so acutely different. You do feel in command of a 747, but that slight (not 100%) feeling you’re in command of a 777/787.

The 8i has a roughly 45tonne (99.2k lb)/27tonne (59.5k lbs) mtow/mlw difference meaning performance, even off long runways, needs careful attention. Environmental conditions and airplane condition on takeoff need careful attention at the high gross weight end of the spectrum. Queue PMDG’s Onboard Performance Toolbox (OPT) via the onboard EFB.

Having the EFB and the ACARS adds another dimension to aircraft operation which adds time. Of course, if like me, and you just want to get in and fly, you can absolutely do that! If you want to play airline pilot and use all the bells and whistles to their fullest extent, you can do that too!

Not wishing to hype this aircraft up, but there is in fact a hidden magic to it, and it is absolutely and surprisingly marvellous. Boeing themselves have done an incredible job in retaining commonality with the ol’ faithful Queen of the Skies whilst simultaneously invigorating her with avionics that puts her on par with her more contemporary and modern family members. Need a simple but extremely effective example?

The eCL’s or, electronic checklists - For those that operate the PMDG 777, you are no stranger to this. But to those of us who don’t, this function is a godsend. So simple, and not new, but so intuitive and very effective.

You can see why, for so long, the 747 is traditionally considered the pinnacle of aviation. Because, even in the sim, as graceful as she is, you do get the sense of her weight and imposing geometry. Mistreat things, and there will be consequences - she is just too big to be a lazy and reactive pilot. Only the sharpest and dedicated of the pilot group will do for this bird.

PMDG in my opinion, have of course represented the Queen, meaning the 748, faithfully.

• Like 2

Brian Nellis

The nice bit about flying toasters around the world, is that when something new comes along, it's not TOO far-fetched to schedule a visit.  For instance, when Flightbeam released EDDN today, it felt perfectly acceptable to fly a charter there.  The load was very large, and very light, hence the -8F.

After all, beta testing has to continue, and the toasters don't mind, too much.  Really quite pleased with this scenery and will have to return in the NG3... soon 😉

AlODdQG.jpg

Here we are, huddling beneath the outflows, under the horizontal stab to try and stay dry...

F16rUSG.jpg

It's wet enough, that it might be time to pack in and see if we can find a decent bar in the Movenpick Hotel.  Some Schnapps would go down nicely...

NDr8RPp.jpg

Prost!

Edited by lasnubes
  • Like 2

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

4 hours ago, lasnubes said:

Really quite pleased with this scenery and will have to return in the NG3... soon 😉

What’s this I hear about you flying the NG3 soon..?:ph34r:

Really quite pleased with this scenery and will have to return in the NG3... soon 😉

Oh, you little tease :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Remember- in the Randazzo lexicon, "soon" has many meanings... some of which stretch into months & years.

Chris- sorry, sometimes I can't help myself.  Electric Shock Therapy and Thorazine have been scheduled.

C

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

15 hours ago, lasnubes said:

The nice bit about flying toasters around the world, is that when something new comes along, it's not TOO far-fetched to schedule a visit.  For instance, when Flightbeam released EDDN today, it felt perfectly acceptable to fly a charter there.  The load was very large, and very light, hence the -8F.

After all, beta testing has to continue, and the toasters don't mind, too much.  Really quite pleased with this scenery and will have to return in the NG3... soon 😉

Thanks for great screenshots. I can't remember if this has been discussed, but does the -8 have dynamic cockpit lighting as one of the new features? EDIT: n/m I see from your first screenshots that it does not.

Also, I'm curious to know how the FBW compared to the 777. 

Thanks!

Alex Pugh

Edited by Chapstick

You may try to do the VHHH - ZSAM pattern, that is the usual ferry flight we do.

The other regional pattern the -8F flies is VHHH - RJAA / VVDN / VVTS etc. 

Another interesting route the CX -8F flies is from SYD to Wellcap (YBWW) - a regional airport then continue to Hong Kong. https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/family-visits-airport-to-watch-history-in-making/2849100/

Have fun!! It is truly a beauty. I wish I could have flown it for a few years, but now it is too late. 

Edited by Driverab330