Sign in to follow this  
VHOJT

Latest Nvidia Drivers - 398.36 &

Hi all,

Have been reading about a lot of problems with Nvidia drivers of late.

Just wondering if anyone is using the latest (398.36) without issue in P3D 4.3?  And if not, what is the "best" driver?  I did have one CTD the other day with no error or any error log - but it's hard to tell what that would be as I have reinstalled Windows recently, and P3D 4.3 along with it.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Cheers,
Rudy

Edited by VHOJT

Using this driver with P3Dv4.2 with no trouble.

If you suspect of an issue with the video driver, try re-installing using a clean installation, first with the nVidia installer, and if you feel you could have more issues, try using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to perform a driver installation like if you were installing a new video card.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

This driver has crashed my sim several times now with the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED error.  I'm going to try to revert to an older driver to see if that solves it.  Other threads indicate the card could be overheating so I'm going to look into temps as well.

edit: gpu temps seem fine so it wasn’t that. About to land at SYD and I’m going to try to do a few more flights to see if the issue comes up again after I reverted to the previous driver.

Edited by sfgiants13

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

A lot of folks are seeing this error as a result of using the very old nVidia Inspector program with setting(s) that bother the newer drivers.  IIRC, there's a problem with setting a frame rate limiter in the inspector program.  I am using this driver (398.36) in a dual SLI config with no issues (unlimited in P3D, vsync to 30 Hz 4K monitor).

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Ah I didn’t even think of that. The one setting in NVI I use is the limiter for when I run unlimited frames so it doesn’t bounce around as much. I should probably just delete the program.

3 hours ago, sfgiants13 said:

I should probably just delete the program.

That won't help. NI is just like an extended version of the NVIDIA Control panel - it's just used to set options for your GPU and once set, NI doesn't need to be running to maintain the settings. Deleting NI will not change any of the settings you made using the app.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

2c. NI has outlived it's usefulness. It was handy back in the FSX days but the world has moved on.

• Like 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

54 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

That won't help. NI is just like an extended version of the NVIDIA Control panel - it's just used to set options for your GPU and once set, NI doesn't need to be running to maintain the settings. Deleting NI will not change any of the settings you made using the app.

True, that.  Before deleting the program, if that's what you're gonna do, you'll want to restore the Prepar3D settings to their default in NI, and then go back into nVidia Control Panel and make sure nothing is amiss there.

Regards

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

6 hours ago, w6kd said:

A lot of folks are seeing this error as a result of using the very old nVidia Inspector program with setting(s) that bother the newer drivers.  IIRC, there's a problem with setting a frame rate limiter in the inspector program.  I am using this driver (398.36) in a dual SLI config with no issues (unlimited in P3D, vsync to 30 Hz 4K monitor).

I've been using nVidia Inspector (one of the reasons is to set the framerate limiter) with my 1080 for more than 10 months and various driver changes and have never received the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED error.  Me thinks there is much more to this error than just nVidia Inspector.... which was updated as recently as a few weeks ago.

Regards,

Greg

26 minutes ago, lownslo said:

I've been using nVidia Inspector (one of the reasons is to set the framerate limiter) with my 1080 for more than 10 months and various driver changes and have never received the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED error.  Me thinks there is much more to this error than just nVidia Inspector.... which was updated as recently as a few weeks ago.

Regards,

Greg

Perhaps...or alternatively, it could be that NI is fully functional, but is being used to make changes to the registry params that are no longer stable with the current drivers.

There are a fair number of people that were able to stop the errors by eliminating those settings...whether they're causal, or just a contributing factor is hard to discern.

Regards

Yeah I meant reset the settings before deleting it. The only thing I used in NVI was the limiter anyway. Everything else was done via the control panel.

The most recent version of NI Profile Inspector is from March of 2018, and I tried using the frame limiter with the latest drivers and got the DXGI crash.  I went back to 391.35, and it has no issues.  I was also only using NI to limit the upper frames at 60.  I heard the MSI Afterburner also offers an external frame limiter, but I have not tried it yet.  I didn't see any gain in P3D, or any other game or sim, so I rolled the driver back.

Alan

I'm still getting random crashes with these new drivers even after doing a clean install of the latest and removing NVI and resetting all settings.  Nothing shows in the event viewer either.