Sign in to follow this  
jimimac

help understanding fps set rate or unlimited

hi I have read on previous posts that it is best if you can to set monitor refresh rate to 30 and fps set to 30 with vsync on which I have done but get some stutters now and again so I tried changing the frame rate to unlimited with monitor still at 30 and vsync on I get a much smoother flight  but the frames still sit at 29/30 even with unlimited set  there is no change in the fps whether I use locked or unlimited  I don't understand.

thanks,jim

thank you,Jim

Asus Prime Z270-P| I7700k@4.6| 16gDDR4 3000 VengLpx|

Corsair H115aio Cooler| Evga GeForce 1080gpu|Corsair Rm750

Jim,

Would you kindly post your complete system specs and version of P3D  you're running?

Many thanks.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hi Jim,

There have been many discussions on this topic that you can find thru search.  I've posted my findings here and in the P3D Guide.

These might help especially on how Vsync works:

and

and 

Cheers, Rob.

The short version--with vsync on, you'll never see a frame rate higher than the hardware horizontal refresh rate, so the vsync caps your frame rate at 30 with a 30Hz monitor.  On my system (also with a 30Hz monitor) I see the CPU core 0 (the one that runs the main thread) sitting typically at ~70-80% load, because the CPU isn't trying to produce frames as fast as it can, but rather only as fast as the vsync gate allows.  This gives the core running the main thread some processor headroom to deal with minor workload spikes without interrupting the smooth 30 per second flow of frames, making the displayed video steady and smooth. 

Regards

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hi Bob-

Are you running unlimited in your description above?

Mark

11 minutes ago, newtie said:

Hi Bob-

Are you running unlimited in your description above?

Mark

Yes.  Frames at unlimited in P3D, vsync and triple buffering on.  Feeding a 55" Samsung 4K TV set to 30Hz refresh rate.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

5 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Yes.  Frames at unlimited in P3D, vsync and triple buffering on.  Feeding a 55" Samsung 4K TV set to 30Hz refresh rate.

You know, of the 8 systems I help to setup/maintain, and my system, those setting has proved to work the best.  So important to have some overhead remaining.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

15 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Thanks for explaining vsync, I too run Samsung 55" set to 30hz but I don't have triple buffering on should I set to on what will the difference be.

thanks,jim

pc specs i7700k@4.6 16g ram and gtx1080.

thank you,Jim

Asus Prime Z270-P| I7700k@4.6| 16gDDR4 3000 VengLpx|

Corsair H115aio Cooler| Evga GeForce 1080gpu|Corsair Rm750

I tried using a TV for a flight Sim monitor a couple of years ago, and the colors were really dull and washed out. I'm now using a Dell 42" 4K monitor and it looks really nice.

How do the colors look on your 55" Samsung? Thanks.

Pete Locascio

2 hours ago, tamba765 said:

I tried using a TV for a flight Sim monitor a couple of years ago, and the colors were really dull and washed out. I'm now using a Dell 42" 4K monitor and it looks really nice.

How do the colors look on your 55" Samsung? Thanks.

Hi Pete:  I have the 42-in Samsung 4K TV and there is nothing washed out about it. I am very happy with it.

Rob did an excellent job in a thread last week explaining how to determine your average potential frame rate and how to use that information to decide on how to configure frame rate limit, vsync and triple buffering.  I used the PMDG 77W departing KLAX and overflying the LA basin to get a potential frame rate of about 32 fps for my system flying that complex airplane over that scenery.  Based on the fact that I was >30 he recommends unlimited frame rate, vsync on with display set to 30 Hz.  He recommends triple buffering if your potential frame rate is >33.  I was close and tried it with and without triple buffering and didn't see a difference.

I used unlimited vsync display 30 Hz for awhile and I was having problems with long frames and blurry terrain textures after using x2 time simulation rate for a few minutes.  This prompted my to go back to my tried and true settings that include a frame rate lock of 24 fps, no vsync and this for my prepar3d.cfg:

[DISPLAY]
TextureMaxLoad=18
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=24

[SCENERY]

MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=1

[TERRAIN]

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10

The above of course is very dependent on your system.  I have an 8700K CPU and dual 1080Ti in SLI configuration.  I can use x16 rate now without any blurries and one of those display settings (no sure which) has reduced slow texture loading and long frames to a minimum.  The 1080Ti's allow me to use the texture size exponent of 10 and the scenery can look stunning.  The bottom line is that there is not a best setting for everyone, it depends on your system.

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP

Each setup is so different. I use a 120Hz monitor and Nvidia GSync and get the best results with the fps slider @ unlimited. Of course it requires P3D settings that allow >30 fps in the sim.

As I also use TrackIR, the higher the fps the smoother the movements.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

On 7/14/2018 at 5:30 PM, Cargostorm said:

Each setup is so different. I use a 120Hz monitor and Nvidia GSync and get the best results with the fps slider @ unlimited. Of course it requires P3D settings that allow >30 fps in the sim.

As I also use TrackIR, the higher the fps the smoother the movements.

Yeah setups are.  I have a 144hz monitor and its hard to find answers on this topic since most users have a 60hz tuned down to 30hz.   

no external limiter and unlimited in sim with vsync and TB on i get smooth performance but get the occasional stuttering. 

external limiter at 30 fps and unlimited in sim with vsync and TB off, I get not as smooth performance but seems less stuttering.  

Hard to find the sweet spot but not sure its setup correctly.

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

So,  let me see if I got it right:

1) Default settings In Nvidia Control Panel, although I set it for "Prefer Maximum Performance" and "Multiple display mode" ( now that I have a 2nd monitor...

2) In P3Dv4, FPS set to unlimited, Vsyn ticked and tripple buffering ticked ( or shoult this one also be ticked in Nvidia Control Panels ? )

3) Should I then run P3Dv4 full screen or windowed ?

Thx!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...